Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 09:55 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:07:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 49
  Print  
Author Topic: Annoying / amusing use of completely irrelevant stock photos to illustrate press articles  (Read 345235 times)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: April 06, 2014, 16:55:23 »

...well here is an interesting photo on the BT website of a level crossing incident in Texas USA illustrated by a photo of two signals at Cambridge UK (United Kingdom)  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Cheesy

I watched the video. Nutters are not confined to British rail crossings.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 08:44:03 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 13, 2014, 13:03:47 »

From elsewhere on the forum:

From Stroud News and Journal:

Plans for Stonehouse to Bristol railway screech to a halt

Plans for a railway station in Stonehouse which could provide a direct route to Bristol have screeched to a halt.

Article illustrated with a HST (High Speed Train) at Yeovil Pen Mill.  Roll Eyes

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 28, 2014, 15:09:31 »

From Getwokingham

Overnight closures at Waterloo Level Crossing for rail inspections

Apr 28, 2014 09:18
By Laura Miller

The crossing will be closed from 11pm to 5.30am for Network Rail contractors to carry out rail inspections.

The crossing will be closed from 11pm to 5.30am for Network Rail contractors to carry out rail inspections.

Drivers are warned the Waterloo Level Crossing will be closed every night this week.

The alternative route for motorists will be via Old Wokingham Road, Easthampstead Road and Waterloo Road (western section), or by this route in reverse.

For more information call Wokingham Borough Council on (0118) 974 6000.

Might have to inspect more than the crossing......
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #213 on: May 11, 2014, 05:41:50 »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2625396/Revealed-Britains-used-railway-station-EIGHT-passengers-year.html

I don't think there's anything new in this article about Teeside Airport.  Except, perhaps, some of the problems may lie in the station's signage as the second picture clearly says "Dorking West"

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 11, 2014, 10:26:38 »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2625396/Revealed-Britains-used-railway-station-EIGHT-passengers-year.html

I don't think there's anything new in this article about Teeside Airport.  Except, perhaps, some of the problems may lie in the station's signage as the second picture clearly says "Dorking West"

Someone from DMGT must subscribe to this forum - the second picture (a 2006 view taken from Wikipedia!) now shows TEA.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 11, 2014, 10:37:18 »

More likely someone has read the comments to the article which point out the error.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 16, 2014, 23:35:18 »

Pacers getting wifi now, which I'm assuming is something more modern in reality!

Not my photo,

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 20, 2014, 13:32:42 »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2633282/Family-train-fares-double-half-term-Rail-firms-admit-prices-times-increased-demand-deny-profiting-hard-pressed-parents.html

Interesting Livery.

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 20, 2014, 16:28:43 »

Great picture though. I did like the original Great Western trains livery and interior.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 20, 2014, 18:44:15 »

GWT Merlin. My favourite.  Grin

Anyone know the location of the picture? A Google image search draws a blank.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: May 20, 2014, 19:46:01 »

Pacers getting wifi now, which I'm assuming is something more modern in reality!

Not my photo,
Not a pacer, but I'm pretty sure this had WiFi at some stage (now removed I believe). Although at least one other 53-plate vehicle has WiFi, I haven't seen any mode of transport with WiFi that appears as old as the bus pictured (the other vehicle I know of is a much more modern-looking model).

GWT Merlin. My favourite.  Grin

Anyone know the location of the picture? A Google image search draws a blank.
I do quite like the Great Western Trains livery, particularly the older version which retained the INTERCITY text from Swallow livery on the coaches. One thing that could have been improved though was if the 'Great Western' on the coaches (probably not the power cars) had also been in the INTERCITY font to match the INTERCITY text.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
John R

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 20, 2014, 20:15:12 »

Going back to the story, so advance tickets for travel next week are more expensive than those for travel in a month's time. Duhhhh, of course they are. The nearer you get to travel, the less likely the allocations of cheaper tickets are still available.

Never let accuracy get in the way of a good story, eh.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 20, 2014, 20:17:56 »

Not a pacer, but I'm pretty sure this had WiFi at some stage (now removed I believe). Although at least one other 53-plate vehicle has WiFi, I haven't seen any mode of transport with WiFi that appears as old as the bus pictured (the other vehicle I know of is a much more modern-looking model).

Plenty of First Bristol buses older than '53' plate with WiFi fitted. Regularly have 1999 'W' reg deckers on my local route, that have had WiFi fitted.

Think there may well even be some vehicles older than 1999 in First's West of England fleet that have had WiFi retro-fitted.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #223 on: May 20, 2014, 21:46:29 »

Going back to the story, so advance tickets for travel next week are more expensive than those for travel in a month's time. Duhhhh, of course they are. The nearer you get to travel, the less likely the allocations of cheaper tickets are still available.

Never let accuracy get in the way of a good story, eh.

Two words: Daily and Mail.  Lips sealed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 20, 2014, 22:17:55 »

Story posted elsewhere on the forum.

New parkway rail station is now 'closer than ever'

WORCESTERSHIRE is closer than ever to getting a new parkway railway station, the county council has insisted.

I'm fairly confident that if this station is built the third rail will be unnecessary.  Roll Eyes

Although, anyone who knows about the history of railways in Worcestershire will be aware that in the mid 19th century spurious rails were quite common. Mixed gauge having been required in many places to satisfy parliamentary bills and to keep the GWR (Great Western Railway) onside. Despite the legal requirements to lay a mixed gauge, the Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton (OWW (Oxford Worcester and Wolverhampton) or Old, Worse and Worse) did everything possible to not lay rails for broad gauge trains, and when they eventually did, after numerous visits to the Court of Chancery, they still made it nigh on impossible, for many years, for the GWR to run through broad gauge trains to/from London. All this in spite of the fact that the GWR were supposed to be partners with the OWW and had provided the majority of the capital to build the OWW lines.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 49
  Print  

Jump to: