21:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Short Run
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 19:35:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[333] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[69] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[53] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[30] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[28] Signage - not making it easy ...
[6] IETs at Melksham

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 49
  Print  
Author Topic: Annoying / amusing use of completely irrelevant stock photos to illustrate press articles  (Read 346988 times)
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: May 21, 2014, 08:37:52 »

Not a pacer, but I'm pretty sure this had WiFi at some stage (now removed I believe). Although at least one other 53-plate vehicle has WiFi, I haven't seen any mode of transport with WiFi that appears as old as the bus pictured (the other vehicle I know of is a much more modern-looking model).

Plenty of First Bristol buses older than '53' plate with WiFi fitted. Regularly have 1999 'W' reg deckers on my local route, that have had WiFi fitted.

Think there may well even be some vehicles older than 1999 in First's West of England fleet that have had WiFi retro-fitted.
Interesting, maybe Northern really is going to install WiFi on pacers then.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 21, 2014, 19:53:09 »

Saw an 'R' reg bus in Bristol today with the 'WiFi fitted' stickers on the windows. A Volvo B10BLE with Wright Renown body. That'd be at least 16 years old.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 23, 2014, 18:21:58 »

Saw an 'R' reg bus in Bristol today with the 'WiFi fitted' stickers on the windows. A Volvo B10BLE with Wright Renown body. That'd be at least 16 years old.

Yes, but it's only 56 kbps.

Now, please!
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 27, 2014, 13:37:56 »

Yes, but it's only 56 kbps.

I tried using the Wifi on one of the South Wales Optare Versos last week, it was quicker to use the mobile internet from my mobile provider.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 04, 2014, 13:12:49 »

If we are to believe the picture in the July edition of North Somerset Council's 'award winning' (their description) 'Life' magazine, the proposed line to Portishead is to be electrified with a third rail and trains will originate in Kent.

http://www.n-somerset.gov.uk/Your_Council/Communication_and_Information/North%20Somerset%20Life/NS%20Life%20July%202014%20%28pdf%29.pdf

This is a pdf file and you need to go to p29, unless you live in NS, then just open your freebie copy.

Ironically, this edition of my Council Tax supported magazine opens with a rant from the Council Leader about media inaccuracy and the way in which the 'international web' and social media is used in such a way that

The public are often being deliberately misled and it is often impossible to know what to believe.

This image is not deliberately misleading - but the second half of the quoted sentence in undoubtedly true.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #230 on: July 04, 2014, 16:19:59 »

For completeness, here is the 'offending' article from North Somerset Life:

(My highlighting: CfN.)

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
sprinterguard

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 04, 2014, 16:52:31 »

No wonder it takes so many years to build any sodding railway project... when it takes the whole of 2016 to have a Public Enquiry in Autumn 2016.  Roll Eyes

All opinions are my own.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 04, 2014, 17:00:56 »

Here's a corker:

Rolls-Royce sets up JV to develop train transmission systems

Rolls-Royce announced on Friday that it has entered into a long-term joint venture (JV) with engine group Hispano-Suiza (Safran) to develop accessory drive train transmission systems.

The two companies have signed a memorandum of understanding to establish the 50:50 JV, which addresses the entire product life-cycle of Rolls-Royce civil aeroengine applications.

Read full article at http://sharecast.com/news/rolls-royce-sets-up-jv-to-develop-train-transmission-systems/21841853.html

The problem is that the illustration appears to be a railway train - not an aero engine accessory drive train, which is a completely different thing. The RR-Safran JV has absolutely nothing to do with railways. All explained here for them as are interested...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 07, 2014, 18:11:11 »

But still on transport, what's wrong with the illustration in http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-28195782?
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 07, 2014, 21:06:03 »

But still on transport, what's wrong with the illustration in http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-28195782?

That's a rail vehicle (I first wrote 'tram/tram-train but it looks quite substantial) not from these islands I'll wager.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 07, 2014, 21:26:23 »

Indeed so. I think a tram on the basis of the articulation just about visible on the left of the picture.

But we're definitely driving on the right.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #236 on: July 13, 2014, 16:09:24 »

Disruption on the railways indeed, if this particular illustration is to be believed - from the Oxford Mail:

Disruption on the railways

Railways in Oxfordshire will be disrupted by works next spring.

Network Rail plans to close the main line between Didcot and Twyford over the long Easter Weekend, April 4, 5 and 6, for engineering work. This is expected to disrupt First Great Western services.

The rail firm is also planning a 75-hour closure of the line from Didcot to Oxford and Heyford over the late May bank holiday, May 23, 24 and 25.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

John R

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 13, 2014, 16:38:34 »

Network Rail plans to close the main line between Didcot and Twyford over the long Easter Weekend, April 4, 5 and 6, for engineering work. This is expected to disrupt First Great Western services.

I don't think there's any doubt about it - it will disrupt services.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #238 on: July 13, 2014, 16:47:19 »

Ah, you're picking them up on their wording: I merely pick them up on their pictures.  Wink Cheesy Grin

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #239 on: July 20, 2014, 20:17:27 »

From the Bristol Post:

Delays on trains after landslip between Bristol Temple Meads and Bath Spa

There has been a landslip between Bristol Temple Meads and Bath Spa, causing delays on trains.

It is understand it happened near Oldfield Park.

First Great Western reports that all lines are blocked and that replacement road transport is being sourced.

Those pesky landslips clearly cause absolute havoc with the track layout at Oldfield Park.  Tongue Roll Eyes Shocked

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 49
  Print  

Jump to: