Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:35 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 13:43:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 49
  Print  
Author Topic: Annoying / amusing use of completely irrelevant stock photos to illustrate press articles  (Read 345247 times)
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: October 17, 2014, 18:19:05 »

More to the point, they could run from Amersham to Watford Met today as the necessary curve is already there ...

I thought a couple of very early morning trains already ran direct to Watford from Amersham, and one or two back very late at night.  Or have they gone?

They still exist, but at completely unsocial times (as explained by bnm just now).  I could probably have worded my post better.

Paul
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #271 on: October 17, 2014, 19:19:59 »

During Sunday engineering works a few months ago, I ended up on a service from Harrow-on-the-Hill to Amersham via Watford.  Passengers were advised to double back as there were no direct services.

Slightly odd to hear the automated announcement "this is a semi-fast Metropolitan Line train to Amersham via Watford".
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #272 on: October 17, 2014, 20:07:20 »

More to the point, they could run from Amersham to Watford Met today as the necessary curve is already there ...

I thought a couple of very early morning trains already ran direct to Watford from Amersham, and one or two back very late at night.  Or have they gone?

They still exist, but at completely unsocial times (as explained by bnm just now).  I could probably have worded my post better.

Paul

Actually Paul, it's me that could have worded better (and checked - a change still needed).  Sorry I came across as I did, which was over-pedantic and a bit snappy.  I've had a very busy time for the last few months ... shouldn't have come out here ... I'm planning to regroup ...

An element of a sore spot was hit by the Amersham to Watford post, as we went on for years being told that if we could prove demand by filling existing trains at antisocial hours (the 06:12 from Swindon, the 07:04 from Westbury, the 18:44 from Swindon and the 19:35) then we might be able to have more.  But I am not advocating that we suggest the same impractical hurdle for the Amersham to Watford folks ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 23, 2014, 16:06:10 »

Not exactly stock, but here is a report in today's Exeter Express and Echo about the Exmouth line being closed because a vehicle struck a bridge............

http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/Exmouth-trains-cancelled-car-hits-Polsloe-Bridge/story-23390933-detail/story.html

An image of double track included in a story about a vehicle striking a bridge on a single track branch line!

Sorry, but I do not know how to embed the story, so if a mod can edit this, please do so!

Edit note: No problem. CfN. Wink

Exmouth trains cancelled after car hits Polsloe Bridge in Exeter

Trains have been cancelled between Exeter and Exmouth this afternoon after a car hit Polsloe Bridge.

A vehicle has struck the bridge meaning trains are being delayed by up to 50 minutes between ‪‎Exeter‬ St Davids and ‪‎Exmouth‬.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 23:02:33 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 23, 2014, 16:23:29 »

Ah, but isn't that the famous BTP (British Transport Police) issued image of a 'shopping trolley' thrown on the line?   

Should be extra points whenever an editor uses that pic, I reckon...  Grin

Paul
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 23, 2014, 17:27:38 »

It's the broken TPWS (Train Protection and Warning System) grid (toast rack) that has featured numerous times in this thread.

It's one of CfN's favourites!  Tongue

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 23, 2014, 20:25:33 »

It's the broken TPWS (Train Protection and Warning System) grid (toast rack) that has featured numerous times in this thread.

It's one of CfN's favourites!  Tongue
Crikey they still haven't fixed it  Grin
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 08:59:03 by SandTEngineer » Logged
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #277 on: November 08, 2014, 00:04:12 »

From the Oxford Mail:

Freight train disruption

There were minor delays on passenger services at Didcot Parkway yesterday morning because of problems with a freight train.

A spokesman for First Great Western said: ^I would imagine if there was disruption caused by a freight train there was probably some kind of fault with that train.^

However, the rail operator could not give any further details or when the fault was rectified.

It was a freight train: why were the Oxford Mail asking First Great Western??  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 08, 2014, 01:37:13 »

It would appear that Phillipa Page or Phil Space has got a job at the Oxford Mail.  Roll Eyes

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #279 on: November 11, 2014, 19:03:07 »

From the Bristol Post:

Pylons to be removed to make way for new electrification on Bristol's railway

Plans have been drawn up to remove pylons near a railway bridge over the M4

It is a sign that the electrification of Bristol's railway is almost in the city's grasp. Plans have been drawn up to remove pylons near a railway bridge over the M4 to clear the way for equipment which will bring faster, cleaner and quieter services to passengers.

The electricity pylons either side of the blue bridge at Hambrook need to be taken out and cables rerouted under the motorway to create enough space for electric trains running on overhead wires.

The pylons will need to be out of way when a specially-designed ^40 million factory train sinking piles into the ground ^ which will be used to hold up the gantries ^ edges its way westward from London to begin work in the Bristol area.

Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 11, 2014, 23:07:38 »

I don't think that bit of rusty, fishplated point work will be seeing the leccy knitting above it any time soon.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #281 on: November 12, 2014, 19:53:42 »

From the Wilts and Gloucestershire Standard:

Seasoned rail commuter airs grievance over Swindon to Kemble rail line

Stock picture of a First Great Westrern train

No problem with their use of a 'stock picture' on this particular occasion - but their caption could do with a spell check.  Tongue

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 12, 2014, 23:29:41 »

Also, 'Seasoned rail commuter'?

Salt and pepper? Or perhaps something a little spicier, such as paprika or cayenne.

Looking at the name of the person referred to in the headline I'd suggest roasting with a little thyme and a clove or two of garlic. Maybe stuff the cavity with some bacon, strongly flavoured mushrooms and fresh breadcrumbs.
 Tongue Wink Grin

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #283 on: November 12, 2014, 23:39:50 »

Also, 'Seasoned rail commuter'?

Fair game, I suppose.  Tongue

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 17, 2014, 21:43:55 »

Plymouth Herald have played a blinder with this one:

Moves to re-open old railway line near Plymouth a step closer

train

The chances of Tavistock seeing four track electrification and Pendolini are less than zilch. And the picture editor deserves a special prize for that caption. It must have taken him/her ages to come up with that.   

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 49
  Print  

Jump to: