Opening of Sapperton Canal Tunnel

Train RunningDelayed
22:00 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 00:11:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[276] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[265] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[45] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[40] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[19] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[18] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 49
  Print  
Author Topic: Annoying / amusing use of completely irrelevant stock photos to illustrate press articles  (Read 347219 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #405 on: January 14, 2016, 10:22:31 »

bloody big ferry though :-)
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #406 on: January 14, 2016, 13:27:45 »

A bus is running on a train? Is it running along the roof or does the bus somehow fit in the interior of the train Grin.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: January 14, 2016, 13:29:39 »

A bus is running on a train? Is it running along the roof or does the bus somehow fit in the interior of the train Grin.

OMG (Oh My doG ) - just imagine the bridge modifications needed to cope with that height....it was bad enough for just OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE")
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 14, 2016, 14:23:32 »

Whereas a train running on a bus is...

... all together now...

... a Pacer
Rob on the hill

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: January 18, 2016, 11:45:19 »

From today's Swindon Advertiser:
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/14211306.Rail_delays_between_Bristol_and_Swindon_after_signalling_issue/
Also passengers are warned to expect "dealsy".
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 18, 2016, 11:53:43 »

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/14211306.Rail_delays_between_Bristol_and_Swindon_after_signalling_issue/

Two things I note from that Photo...

1) Electrification is coming along better than I thought

2) Four-track-now should be impressed and pleased he got his way.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: January 18, 2016, 11:59:54 »

Is 'Dealsy' the commercial arm of Banksy's empire?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 18, 2016, 15:18:59 »

I certainly am, even if it isn't even in the same country!

Now, please!
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: January 19, 2016, 00:05:45 »

It's the new rationalised modular signalling layouts. In order to reduce the inventory size, the options have been reduced to either a single set of points leading to a siding, or the full 'Glasgow Central'.  This reduces design time, but does lead to some over engineering...
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 19, 2016, 18:23:32 »

So, a certain picture that has featured in this thread and others has a non-identical twin - used in France!

From SNCF (Societe Nationale des Chemins de fer Francais - French National Railways) R^seau \ Actualit^s
19/01/2016
SNCF R^seau in partnership with the 7th European Day for Rail Fret

The 7th European Day for Rail Fret, in partnership with SNCF R^seau, will take place on Tuesday, the 24st of March 2016 within SITL Europe.

Reed Exhibition, organizer of the SITL Europe, has associated with EUROGROUP CONSULTING agency to enhance the European outreach of the program.
In 2015, the third edition of the barometer, focused on the perception of rail transport shippers, was introduced in partnership with the shippers association AUTF, ECR, AFRA et SNCF R^seau, UIC, TLF, GNTC, Objectif OFP, UTP. This year, the fourth edition of this barometer will not only update the trends observed the two last years, but also shed light upon the shippers^ perception at the European level. The results will be presented in the morning of the opening on the 24st of March.

We value your opinion as a user of rail transport! And we invite you to respond to a survey available online. The survey takes 10 minutes to answer. It will be accessible until March 4th.
We thank you in advance for taking the time to participate to the barometer. It will help spread your opinion and broaden our discussions. Also, we value your opinion even if you are not currently a rail transport user.

This* was a press release by SNCF today, about a conference on rail freight. Now, I don't think there's a lot of freight going to appear anywhere in this picture, taken from the end of one of the platforms at Paris Gare de Lyon. And SNCF might, you'd have though, know these things.

Similar images, taken from much the same place, have been used quite a few times recently; for example:

From Alcool Assistance Pyr^es Atlantiques (I kid you not):
Dans un poste d'aiguillage sensible, des cheminots ivres, un incident ^vit^ de justesse. Des images exclusives qui font froid dans le dos.

C'est l'un des postes d'aiguillage de Paris-Ouest, parmi les plus importants d'Ile-de-France. Il g^re - en un seul point de commande - une centaine d'itin^raires qui rayonne jusqu'^ Rouen (Seine-Maritime). Un poste tout relais ^ transit souple, un PRS dans le jargon des cheminots, o^ l'aiguilleur doit ^tre vigilant en permanence, car, contrairement aux postes d'aiguillage ^ la technologie plus r^cente, ici l'homme n'a pas encore ^ remplac^ par l'informatisation et l'automatisation de l'ensemble du processus.

You may remember the story, about drinking sessions at a signalling centre in the west of Paris. I did post about it at the time (June 2014, so this rehash is over a year later). That control centre is not in a signal box, of course, and obviously nowhere near the one shown in the picture which is the other side of Paris.

Still, you can't blame journalists, not for either of these.

* I've replaced the original version of that page with the above Franglais one, which I got a flyer for later. It is ... interesting? ... in its own right.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 01:25:28 by stuving » Logged
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #415 on: January 24, 2016, 22:18:20 »

Many thanks for posting those French equivalents of our own journalists' best efforts here, stuving.  Wink Roll Eyes Shocked

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 24, 2016, 22:26:11 »

Many thanks for posting those French equivalents of our own journalists' best efforts here, stuving.  Wink Roll Eyes Shocked

Oui, d'accord!

Now, please!
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 27, 2016, 17:15:08 »

Is there a small prize for people who get it right?
Can I nominate http://www.cumbernauld-news.co.uk/news/local-news/trains-cancelled-and-delayed-due-to-signal-problem-1-4012662?
Rob on the hill

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: February 07, 2016, 13:41:28 »

Story in Swindon Advertiser about flooding between Swindon and Bristol Parkway. Picture shows Grand Central train in livery from several years ago!
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/14259064.Flooding_blocks_railway_lines_between_Swindon_and_Bristol_Parkway/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #419 on: February 15, 2016, 19:55:13 »

http://www.westerndailypress.co.uk/WARNING-Rail-chaos-planned-trains-run-Bristol/story-28738666-detail/story.html?

Is this Bath or Bristol?  I don't recognise it ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 49
  Print  

Jump to: