Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:15 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 16:34:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 49
  Print  
Author Topic: Annoying / amusing use of completely irrelevant stock photos to illustrate press articles  (Read 345252 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: July 07, 2017, 18:42:57 »

The other photo on that story isn't a lot better in terms of showing today's railway.   Must be all of 15 years old - "fag packet" GWR (Great Western Railway) HST (High Speed Train), the TPO (Travelling Post Office) and a Virgin HST!   

Think that photo should win some sort of award for inaccuracy in terms of the story it is supposed to illustrate.
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: July 07, 2017, 22:52:42 »

That photo of the A4 reminded me to ask when the digital clock on the bridge in the background is going to be repaired. It's been stuck on one minute to seven for a long time.  Roll Eyes
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #497 on: July 07, 2017, 22:56:19 »

That photo of the A4 reminded me to ask when the digital clock on the bridge in the background is going to be repaired. It's been stuck on one minute to seven for a long time.  Roll Eyes

It's right once daily

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: July 08, 2017, 08:19:35 »

It's right once daily

Statistically, much more accurate than a clock that is 2 minutes slow.

Now, please!
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: July 11, 2017, 17:54:48 »

I think it's disgusting that the media can't even get right there's a portacabin in use at St.Erth at the moment!!!  😉😉😉
https://www.piratefm.co.uk/news/latest-news/2327846/update-rail-services-at-standstill-on-cornwall-line/

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #500 on: July 17, 2017, 04:40:59 »

From The Telegraph - a 2013 article republished on 10th July 2017

How Beeching is being reversed

Fifty years ago, Dr Beeching wielded his axe, believing the railways faced an inexorable decline. Now the industry is on the cusp of the biggest expansion since the Victorian era.

"Passenger miles" - the total number of miles travelled by all passengers - grew by 91pc between 1996 and 2012. But the rail fleet increased by only 12pc over the same period.

I can't help wondering if the figures being quoted in the article related purely to the National Rail network and scheduled passenger trains operating thereon - or whether there has been a significant increase in steam train travel on heritage lines which has helped the railway figures grow so spectacularly.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: July 17, 2017, 07:40:05 »

I can't help wondering if the figures being quoted in the article related purely to the National Rail network and scheduled passenger trains operating thereon - or whether there has been a significant increase in steam train travel on heritage lines which has helped the railway figures grow so spectacularly.

Hasn't Corfe Castle now been connected to the national network?  Grin  Cheesy
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #502 on: August 20, 2017, 22:10:39 »

Cornwall Live can have today's award, more so as someone has sent them a picture of the actual derailment on their Facebook with permission to use!
Screen grab as I don't know how to link Facebook.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #503 on: August 20, 2017, 22:39:55 »

Hmm.  Maybe it's just the perspective, but Paddington Station seems to be rather smaller than I remember it ...  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: August 20, 2017, 23:20:11 »

And St Paul's Cathedral is a lot closer.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: November 07, 2017, 15:52:27 »

An artist's impression of Temple Meads in the future - but look! Hard to imagine, but there's no OHLE, and a diesel train on Platform 13... As if!

£43 million investment to establish world’s first Quantum Technologies Innovation Centre

The University of Bristol has announced plans to establish the world’s first open access Quantum Technologies Innovation Centre, focusing on taking quantum research from the lab and into the commercial world and positioning the UK (United Kingdom) as a global leader in the field.

Experts predict that harnessing the quantum world - the behaviour of matter and energy on the atomic and subatomic level - will revolutionise technology by making it faster, smaller, more secure and, ultimately, more useful for a wide variety of applications.

Source: University of Bristol

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #506 on: November 07, 2017, 22:36:40 »

The University of Bristol has announced plans to establish the world’s first open access Quantum Technologies Innovation Centre, focusing on taking quantum research from the lab and into the commercial world and positioning the UK (United Kingdom) as a global leader in the field.

Experts predict that harnessing the quantum world - the behaviour of matter and energy on the atomic and subatomic level - will revolutionise technology by making it faster, smaller, more secure and, ultimately, more useful for a wide variety of applications.

... and, in English?  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: November 07, 2017, 22:44:11 »

... and, in English?  Roll Eyes

Its all to do with Quantum Theory - which I can't explain to you, but if you do understand it its about the only way to explain how a transistor works - so how most micro-electronics work. So its extremely important for electronics. You will be aware that computers keep getting smaller and more powerful. The Ultimate computer in terms of miniaturization and increasing power is the called the Quantum Computer - but no one has built one yet.  I suspect that is what they are seeking to do.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #508 on: November 08, 2017, 00:57:30 »

Thanks for your patient explanation, in response to my admittedly somewhat light-hearted question, ellendune.  Wink

However - I clearly remember that there was an apparently equally serious proposal, earlier this year, to turn that old Royal Mail building into student accommodation.

Are any of these proposals based on hard fact, or financial reality?

Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: November 08, 2017, 10:58:23 »

Are any of these proposals based on hard fact, or financial reality?

Well, yes. To quote the article I linked to:

The £43 million Quantum Technologies Innovation Centre (QTIC) has been funded in partnership by £15 million from the West of England Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP» (Local Enterprise Partnership - about)), £21 million from industrial partners and £7 million from the University of Bristol. It will be based in the University’s new enterprise campus, to be built in the heart of the city.

Student accommodation does form part of the overall development. The Cattle Market Tavern, whose roof has crept into shot behind the bridge parapet, doesn't. Sadly.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 49
  Print  

Jump to: