I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 00:15 29 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 00:21:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 49
  Print  
Author Topic: Annoying / amusing use of completely irrelevant stock photos to illustrate press articles  (Read 345286 times)
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: November 09, 2021, 18:46:58 »

Interesting footage for re-opening of the Dartmoor Line!

CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #646 on: November 10, 2021, 07:05:26 »

Is this what they mean by the media being London-centric?
the void

View Profile
« Reply #647 on: November 10, 2021, 10:34:38 »

From the Telegraph. Um...
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #648 on: November 10, 2021, 10:39:12 »

More YouTube-centric really ... wherever you imagine that is.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #649 on: November 10, 2021, 10:40:27 »

From the Telegraph. Um...

The headline is equally unrelated to the news.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: November 10, 2021, 12:26:30 »

I think it’s more “random YouTuber reads out press release over random stock footage to get clicks”…

Paul
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 17:56:27 by paul7755 » Logged
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: November 25, 2021, 17:22:51 »

This isn't a completely irrelevant photo, but I found it amusing.

I received my regular email today from Great Rail Journeys promoting their latest holidays. This holiday was highlighted as part of their 'Great Scenic Railways of the USA' issue.  Certainly looks scenic, but what can you actually see from the train?  Nowt but trees lining the railway!

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #652 on: December 21, 2021, 10:46:49 »

From Bristol Live ... never seen an electric train in Bristol, even prior to 10th December!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: December 21, 2021, 22:03:48 »

That shot was taken at Keynsham from the bypass. That 444 was being push/pulled by a class 33.

I’ll get my coat.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #654 on: December 23, 2021, 13:50:34 »

From my reading, Victoria UNDERGROUND Station - pictured - is closed for one day (25th December) and not 10. The neighbouring National Rail station is the one that's closed right over Christmas and the New Year.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
PrestburyRoad

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: December 24, 2021, 12:21:18 »

The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)'s story about restoring a bridge on the Bristol and Gloucester line over the Stroudwater Canal is welcome news https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-59758919

However, whilst the charming photograph to illustrate the story shows a canal and a bridge, I think the bridge shown would be insufficient for main line trains, unless a substitute teleportation service or skyhook could be introduced.

PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #656 on: January 13, 2022, 20:36:29 »

LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about) may have branched into Russia (see post #642). It seems that Northern Rail has crossed the pond!

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: January 13, 2022, 21:59:58 »

The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)'s story about restoring a bridge on the Bristol and Gloucester line over the Stroudwater Canal is welcome news https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-59758919

However, whilst the charming photograph to illustrate the story shows a canal and a bridge, I think the bridge shown would be insufficient for main line trains, unless a substitute teleportation service or skyhook could be introduced.

Does anyone recognise that bridge? It looks a little bit like the bridge where the Stroudwater joins the Sharpness and Gloucester at Saul, but it's not. I don't know it's even of the correct canal.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
PrestburyRoad

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: January 13, 2022, 22:33:19 »

Does anyone recognise that bridge? It looks a little bit like the bridge where the Stroudwater joins the Sharpness and Gloucester at Saul, but it's not. I don't know it's even of the correct canal.

It's the "Ocean Swing Bridge" on the Stroudwater Canal at Stonehouse https://www.cotswoldcanals.net/ocean-swing-bridge.  It's 100 yards away from the railway bridge, at the other end of the wider area of water known as "Ocean".  Close but no cigar.

I commend the National Library of Scotland's scans of old OS (Ordnance Survey) maps.  This shows the locations of the two bridges https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=51.74430&lon=-2.29459&layers=168&b=1&marker=51.7651,-2.330434
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #659 on: May 18, 2022, 09:59:08 »

https://www.timeout.com/news/an-exciting-new-rail-service-could-soon-link-london-and-south-wales-051622uYUc92sYWSHJvdrR7mEfm3UXwX91IX2OSfEBHua0Bn3fpZQZc#Echobox=1652704727

So how exactly would this new route be any faster? Well, currently most trains from London to South Wales have to pass through Swansea, forcing them to slow or stop as they pass through the city. Grand Union has proposed building of a new station at Felindre, a town north of Swansea, which trains can call at (and therefore bypass congestion). If approved, this would cut journey times by about 20 minutes.

Should Grand Union’s bid be accepted, the rail provider intends to have the route between Cardiff Central and London Paddington (via Newport, Severn Tunnel Junction and Bristol Parkway) running by May 2023. The extension to Llanelli and Carmarthen, meanwhile, is scheduled for 2025.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 49
  Print  

Jump to: