Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:35 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
07:20 Swansea to London Paddington
07:48 London Paddington to Swansea
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Southampton Central to Bristol Temple Meads
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:05 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:42:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass disruption due to flooding - December 2012  (Read 161060 times)
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2012, 12:34:48 »

Cowley Bridge Junction this morning: https://twitter.com/JonTuckett/status/272638942627651585/photo/1

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2012, 13:33:29 »

Another view:

from https://twitter.com/FGW/status/272693162353512450/photo/1

and:

from https://twitter.com/FGW/status/272692343700848640/photo/1

All in all, a bit of a mess!

Now, please!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2012, 13:54:50 »

From ITV News:

Landslide causes delay on trains

There are reports of delays on the First Great Western service between Bristol Temple Meads and Weston-super-Mare because of a landslide.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2012, 14:22:44 »

A video news report, from This is Exeter:

VIDEO: Damage caused by floods in and around Exeter

This stunning video shows the damage across Exeter caused by last nights flooding as filmed by an ITV helicopter today.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2012, 15:04:17 »

That video shows very well the extent of the flooding of the rail lines at Cowley Bridge Junction. That is going to take a not inconsiderable amount of time to repair I suspect.

With the damage to the WoEML (West of England Main Line.) at Honiton and Axminster also likely to take a few days to repair, the far west is probably going to remain cut off by rail until the middle of next week at the earliest.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2012, 16:31:01 »

That is a real mess at Cowley Bridge. That will take days to sort out if and when it stops raining.

Now, please!
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2012, 16:59:04 »

At the risk of sounding like a cliched tabloid newspaper, I wonder if there has been such major damage to the rail network in the the south west since WW2?  All the pictures we see seem to involve major infrastructure wash outs and even if the rain stopped now, I would have thought we will have a long wait before 'normality' will be restored simply because there won't be enough teams available to re-instate the network.  I imagine there are staff out in this weather checking those lines not yet closed to ensure everybody's safety: dedication probably not remembered by those only thinking about their disrupted journey.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2012, 18:01:41 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Woman in tent killed in Exeter tree fall as floods hit county

Police said the woman was in a sleeping bag when the tree fell

A woman in a tent has been killed by a falling tree as heavy rain swept across Devon.

The large spruce came down late on Saturday night in Western Way, Exeter, trapping the 21-year-old woman and injuring two other people.

Devon and Cornwall Police said it was thought she could have been homeless.

The force said that across the two counties 250 homes had been flooded, including 30 properties in the village of Kennford, near Exeter.

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said it had dealt with more than 500 flooding incidents during Saturday and on Sunday morning, and more than 1,200 in the past five days.

The Met Office has said further heavy rain is expected throughout Sunday across the region.

Insp Andy Oliver said about the woman who died: "All we know is that she was in a sleeping bag in a tent underneath the tree when it came down."

Insp Gareth Twigg said there were a number of rough sleepers staying in tents around the city. He added that there was a patch of grass under the tree where the woman could have been camping.

Emergency services managed to free her following the tree fall at about 23:50 GMT. The woman died later in hospital. Two men, who are aged 27 and 35, were also in the tent and were injured in the fall.

A police spokesman said: "This is a tragic incident and our thoughts are with the deceased's family and friends."

In Exmouth, roads in and out of the town were closed and rail services were disrupted.

Firefighters were called to Kennford as some people decided to leave their homes when the River Kenn burst its banks. Some residents had prepared for the worst by moving items upstairs. But many said levels rose very quickly and water was up to waist height in the street by Saturday evening.

Les Seaton, who lives in the village, said: "The water came up so quick we couldn't do anything, we just had to let it come in the front and back door."

In Plymouth, there was flooding in Colebrook and Gdynia Way.

The rain has also had an impact on rail services, with buses replacing Cross Country services between Exeter and Bristol. Diversions are in place between Exeter and Yeovil.

Dan Paines, from First Great Western, warned passengers who were intending to travel from the South West to London on Sunday or Monday morning not to try.

Mr Paines said he expected the line between Tiverton and Exeter to remain closed until early in the week.

Passengers at Plymouth railway station are being warned of the travel disruption caused by the heavy rain

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2012, 18:41:40 »

Gather there is now a problem on the Golden Valley line because a train on one engine can't get up a bank.   

I managed to get to Taunton from Swindon yesterday and back today without too much incident.  The train slowed several times on the down journey but was only 10 minutes late at Taunton.   Coming back in daylight it is clear to see the effect the rain has had on the land surrounding the railway but again we were only 10 minutes later into Bristol Temple Meads for the change to Swindon.

One thing I did notice while at my meeting.  The venue is adjacent to the railway between Cogload and Taunton Station and I saw an awful lot of HSTs (High Speed Train) in reverse formation.  Once everything is sorted it is going to be fun getting those units all turned round.  (Yes it was a fascinating meeting - and I do the minutes!!   Grin Grin)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2012, 19:20:31 »

You would appear to have been rather lucky, then, bobm.  Wink

From First Great Western JourneyCheck this evening:

Line problem: between Bristol Temple Meads and Nailsea & Backwell.
Owing to a landslip between Bristol Temple Meads and Nailsea & Backwell Taunton Bound lines are blocked.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2012, 19:32:59 »

Very much so. Just seen that.  I must say I was impressed with the platform staff at Bristol Temple Meads who were doing a sterling job keeping passengers informed - both on a one to one basis and manual annoucements.  Even before the latest landslip the two trains after mine from BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) to London were cancelled due to late running inbound services.
Worle Wonder

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2012, 19:40:32 »

FGW (First Great Western) site is suggesting (19:19 Sun 25th) that there has been a land slip on the Weston-super-Mare to Bristol Temple Meads line.

Anyone have further news on this?
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2012, 19:42:16 »

Yes - here: http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=11587.msg120961#msg120961  Wink Cheesy Grin

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2012, 20:02:03 »

That is a real mess at Cowley Bridge. That will take days to sort out if and when it stops raining.

Yes, the combination of fast flowing water, ballast and sensitive point equipment don't sit well together!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2012, 20:51:08 »

Keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow. Supposed to be heading down to Taunton from Bristol. Have just seen that the down line is once again closed at Flax Bourton due to another bank slip and fallen tree.

At least now there appears to be an alternative route as far as Taunton/Tiverton as the line through Athelney has reopened. Trains through here though are being talked through each signal so journey times are going to continue to be greatly increased between Castle Cary and Taunton.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24
  Print  

Jump to: