Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
18:02 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
23:32 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
15:23 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
18:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
18:34 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
Delayed
15/04/24 21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
06:28 Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 06:54:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[127] Okehampton
[119] The One-Way Wizzo
[59] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[53] From Melksham to Tallinn by train
[44] A two carriage train running back and forth - Swedish differen...
[30] 2024 Delays and Cancellations - North Cotswold Line

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cycles on Bristol peak commuter trains.  (Read 5807 times)
BandHcommuter

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2012, 14:37:15 »

I travelled on the 1803 from Bristol Temple Meads to Clifton Down on Tuesday. The two coach train was healthily loaded, with passengers standing throughout. This is fine, and to be reasonably expected on a peak, short distance commuter train. The situation was made rather less comfortable by the number of bikes on the train. There were at least four bikes in the designated cycle space, plus bikes in each of the door areas. Big bikes, not folders! As well as taking up lots of space, there was a right palaver at each station as bikes were extracted from underneath each other to alight, and more bikes boarded at Lawrence Hill and Stapleton road. This added delay at these stations.

I know that one could argue that additional capacity should be provided for bikes. My observations however are:

1. FGW (First Great Western) has a cycling policy booklet which states a limit of two bikes per two coach train (or four when it's quiet at guards discretion) - I wonder if this is ever enforced?
2. Most of the cyclists got off at Redland and Clifton. Surely easy cycling distance from Temple Meads (or is it a case of cycle in to work in the morning because it's a nice downhill run, and let the train take the uphill strain in the evening? Wink)
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 16:19:56 »

I think it's wonderful news that cyclists are using the service in such numbers; one hopes a FGW (First Great Western) person reads this and does something to cater for the demand.  In the old days a GWR (Great Western Railway)  B set (a two coach consisting of two brake composite vehicles could have handled it all (if seating were changed to all 3rd) with no probs.  Admittedly there would have been someone on the station (called a porter, my uncle served at Lawrence Hill) who would have been there to see the doors closed safely, that there was no yobbery, and elderly passengers helped and everyone reassured, etc, etc....

Are we progressing or regressing in local transport?
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 17:30:05 »

Whenever bikes and trains are mentioned in the same breath we see barricades manned (staffed?) and entrenched positions dug in deeper, so it is with trepidation I enter this fray.  I make my comments as a non-cyclist, but a supporter of those who wish to use such transport. It seems to me that cyclists are but one of a number of groups of passengers battling for space on a railway now costed on a pence per square mm basis (amongst other things) which has meant the squeezing in of more and more seats and less and less baggage/storage space.  Airlines have increasingly added extra charges for anything other than the most basic of items and slowly but surely the railways are applying the same principles of charging/encouraging advanced booking etc to maximise income, and it would appear to be a horrible fact that cycles take up more than their 'fair share' of space.  However, so do the large items of luggage often carted around by students at certain times of the year and  the increasingly large baby buggies, which are also more numerous than they once were. Having battled from Clapham Junction in the peak with a suitcase and been subject to scowls I know how bikers might feel.

At the moment those who configure rolling stock apparently have a model of train user who is slim, carries minimal baggage and has a high degree of mobility, apart from those whom the Law dictates must be catered for.  It seems to me that we need to make more noise to tell those people in no uncertain terms who we are in reality and we need more non-seating space in keeping with the real lives we lead.  Yes, it will cost, but being treated with civility in providing not just good staff (which on the whole is done) but also with the vehicles offered to us for travel.

In the meantime, I wish the best of luck to anyone trying to enforce the bike rules in the cycling city of Bristol.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 19:46:48 »

I think it's wonderful news that cyclists are using the service in such numbers; one hopes a FGW (First Great Western) person reads this and does something to cater for the demand. 

Wonderful, unless you're a commuter who has a muddy or oily bicycle swung against their work clothes, or has to squash up even more because each bicycle takes space for an additional two standing passengers, yet the owner pays no more.

swrural

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 20:04:58 »

I was just doing my 'old codger' bit and yes you are correct that these units now just are not suitable for bikes.  But it would be a bit off to let one on and the others not.  Perhaps better just to refuse them and ask the new Bristol mayor to do what they have done in London.
Cruithne3753

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 23:21:52 »

Foldies only during peak!

Matt
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 21:44:17 »

Or just rent a nice purple Brompton at Temple Meads and lock it up there on your way home.

I'd be happy to see a booking fee re introduced and I've travelled with a bike on the train for nearly 20 years.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: