Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:15 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
* Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningDelayed
22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 22:20:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[219] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[56] access for all at Devon stations report
[39] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[26] Cornish delays
[25] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[14] Where have I been?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: New timetable - how was it for you ?  (Read 15031 times)
gpn01

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2007, 08:10:03 »

Day one of the new timetable and the only issue on the 07:02 from Maidenhead was a platform alternation (which was well announced and appeared on the departure screens).  So, a good start for the 07:02.

Don't know how the 07:04 fared - last I saw, the screens said it was expected to be 19 minutes late.

I guess it'll take a few days for the new schedule to settle down, so it's grin and bare it time.

Anyway, I hope that the schedule quickly settles down and I wish the staff well!
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 10:04:37 »

Don't know how the 07:04 fared - last I saw, the screens said it was expected to be 19 minutes late.

I got that train this morning, it pulled into Twyford at 07:10 (due 06:55) just as I arrived at the station. It was a very empty refurbished HST (High Speed Train)! As we arrived at platform 4 at Maidenhead at 07:20 what I presume to be the 07:19 was just leaving from platform 2 and we were held there for 4 minutes until we could get onto the fast line. Arrival at Paddington was at 07:45 (18 late). The train I'd planned to get from Twyford, the 07:23, was shown as running 7 minutes late on the arrivals board at Paddington.

This is my first post here, I've been lurking for a few months, greetings to all fellow regular Thames Valley FGW (First Great Western) passengers!
Ollie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 15:25:14 »

Fine for me, 06:22 from Reading, arrived Paddington On Time Smiley
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 21:44:11 »

9.03 Maidenhead to Paddington.. Arrived 6 minute late at Paddington (although it's already 15 minutes later than my old train that they removed from the timetable), so I arrived at work very late, as I will do every day from now on (thanks FGW (First Great Western) for not listening to me).  Also this train is non-stop from Maidenhead to Paddington, yet we stopped at Slough to let a couple of people off, but no one on.. What's all that about then?
argg

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 22:14:48 »

Not bad this morning...I expect it will all settle down in time.

This evening looked like it was getting interesting but I got away earlier - did I miss the fun?

I would however be fascinated to know why the 7.25 Twyford - Paddington on the old timetable (always arrived almost empty from Oxford, only stopped at Maidenhead and was 6 carriages which seemed about right)...

...is now replaced by the 7.23 which now comes from Henley half full, still only one more stop at Maidenhead but is only 5 carriages.

It arrived on time - so that's OK then

simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 01:47:35 »

The timetable wasn't bad, but the service was!

0657 BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) to London, scheduled to arrive at Reading at 0800, but arrived at 0845 due to Engineering overrun and signal problems near Hullavington. FGW (First Great Western) describes this a minor problem I call it 45 minute delay with no clear information provided.

1641 Reading to Swansea train delayed for 8 minutes at Wotton Basset due to a failure of automatic points. NR» (Network Rail - home page) engineers had to operate them manually.

It's amazing that so many things do go wrong after Engineering work!
BandHcommuter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 09:39:18 »

Today I was on the 0621 Westbury to Paddington. Now an HST (High Speed Train) instead of Adelante and is scheduled to take about 10 minutes longer than the 0639 in the previous timetable.

The conductor seemed to manage well with the doors and selective locking at the smaller stations (Bedwyn, Kintbury etc) and tickets were checked. I noticed that there were staff on normally unstaffed platforms, so perhaps FGW (First Great Western) are deploying extra resources during the transition. Slightly delayed between Reading and Paddington, but otherwise a promising start.
gpn01

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 13:01:46 »

Not quite sure what happened this morning at Maidenhead but I think that the 07:02 left from Platform 2 and the 07:04 went from Platform 4 at about the same time.  All I know is that I ended up with a seat on a nice HST (High Speed Train) and arrived at Paddington only a few minutes later than expected.
Westernchallenger

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 16:08:59 »

I was on the 1706 Paddington - Westbury on Monday. Formed of HST (High Speed Train) - SDO (Selective Door Opening) worked well with the Train Manager making clear announcements as to which coach to alight from at Theale, Thatcham, Kintbury, Hungerford, Bedwyn and Pewsey. Train ran on time throughout.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 17:27:19 »

I was on the 1706 Paddington - Westbury on Monday. Formed of HST (High Speed Train) - SDO (Selective Door Opening) worked well with the Train Manager making clear announcements as to which coach to alight from at Theale, Thatcham, Kintbury, Hungerford, Bedwyn and Pewsey. Train ran on time throughout.

Thats because out of paddington the train is in the right formation for SDO

Its on the way in that the problem occurs

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
gpn01

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 08:16:03 »

This morning was 'entertaining'.....

The 07:04 arrived at Platform 4 at Maidenhead at 07:12.  The announcement, which'll probably now haunt the person who made it,  was "this train is running 11 minutes late due to it being a High Speed Train operating  on a slow (or stopping?) service".  I guess that, as the 07:04 is scheduled to be operated by a HST (High Speed Train), that we should expect this service to run late as a matter of course.

The 07:02 meanwhile was also delayed.  I think the sign said that it was due into Maidenhead at 07:20.  Presumably, as this is operated by a slow train on a high speed line, we should normally expect it to run ahead of time ?

As to why the HST is being operated with three of the seven carriages in First Class configuration astounds me.  The grot class carriages were standing room only whilst the 1st class ones were half empty.  With the changes to ticket prices due in the New Year perhaps it is time to encourage FGW (First Great Western) to operate the entire route as a single class ?  At least there would then be a fighting chance for the commuters to have a seat.
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2007, 09:36:41 »

When I got to Twyford this morning at 07:10 the 06:52 to Henley (which on its return forms the 07:23 departure from Twyford to Paddington) was only just leaving! However the 07:04 trundled in at 07:16 and I caught that, arriving at Paddington some 15 minutes late at 07:59. The 07:23 was shown as running 12 minutes late on the arrival board at Paddington.
WDcommuter

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 12:34:09 »

I'm really pleased about the new timetable - there are now 4 trains an hour between West Drayton and Slough/Maidenhead/Reading instead of 2. However, they have been putting on fewer carriages, so some services have been really crowded. The new 8:21 from WD has been late every day so far (between 5-10 mins), but no cancellations yet and it would only be a 15 minute wait for the next one anyway so a big improvement.
jane s

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 13:18:18 »

Why are there NO semi-fast trains from Reading to Ealing Broadway in the morning peak?

If I miss the 07:22 from Tilehurst, not only do I now have to change at Reading (when previously there were plenty of subsequent through trains) but the train stops at practically every stop, meaning my journey would be nearly 1/2-hour longer than it used to be. Guess i'll just have to get used to getting up earlier (ugh!)

In the evening it is fine (apart from the 17:33 from Ealing Broadway which STILL has only 3 carriages - why?Huh?) - why oh why can't they replicate the Ealing-Hayes-Slough-Maidenhead-Twyford-Reading pattern in the morning?

Nightmare this morning though, the 07:22 was 1/2-hour late on a freezing cold morning.

It can only get better.....
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 13:41:56 »

Welcome to the forum , jane s and WDcommuter.

A belated welcome to BBM as well.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: