05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:01 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 08:34:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[165] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[67] Signage - not making it easy ...
[56] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[14] IETs at Melksham
[12] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[11] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: New timetable - how was it for you ?  (Read 14949 times)
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2007, 17:38:26 »

This morning was 'entertaining'.....

The 07:04 arrived at Platform 4 at Maidenhead at 07:12.  The announcement, which'll probably now haunt the person who made it,  was "this train is running 11 minutes late due to it being a High Speed Train operating  on a slow (or stopping?) service".  I guess that, as the 07:04 is scheduled to be operated by a HST (High Speed Train), that we should expect this service to run late as a matter of course.

The 07:02 meanwhile was also delayed.  I think the sign said that it was due into Maidenhead at 07:20.  Presumably, as this is operated by a slow train on a high speed line, we should normally expect it to run ahead of time ?

As to why the HST is being operated with three of the seven carriages in First Class configuration astounds me.  The grot class carriages were standing room only whilst the 1st class ones were half empty.  With the changes to ticket prices due in the New Year perhaps it is time to encourage FGW (First Great Western) to operate the entire route as a single class ?  At least there would then be a fighting chance for the commuters to have a seat.

The HSTs aren't brilliant yet as they all have a buffet which decreased acceleration.

Bear in mind these HSTs are also booked to work all over FGW and simple cannot become standard class for a few commuters, afterall, they are intercity trains!

Surely these HSTs are FAR superior to a 180 though?
gpn01

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2007, 08:15:13 »

Credit where credit is due...At Maidenhead this morning I saw the 07:02 pull out on time and had the pleasure of a nice seat on the HST (High Speed Train) 07:04....which was also on time. Smiley
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2007, 09:03:47 »

Yesterday morning was very unpleasant. Half hour wait at Maidenhead for the very late 9.03 departure in the freezing cold.. 

Well done though to the station announcers at Maidenhead for keeping us totally up to date on exactly where our trains were.. It didn't make me any warmer, but knowing that my train had just left Reading and then Twyford gave me some hope that I would be warm again.

Thumbs down to FGW (First Great Western)'s timetable though - there are so few trains at that time, that I had no choice other than to wait half hour for the very late train in sub zero temperatures.
gpn01

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2007, 09:25:31 »

You could always come and join us for the 07:02 and 07:04 Grin
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2007, 11:05:39 »

You could always come and join us for the 07:02 and 07:04 Grin

I'd just love to do that, honestly. Unfortunately I have to take my three children to school first..
Up until last week the 8.51 fast train to Paddington, on the rare occasion it ran on time, would have me at my desk for 9.30.. Sadly that very well used train is no more. So now I am struggling even harder to do my hours thanks to FGW (First Great Western)..
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2007, 12:05:16 »

Another 07:10 arrival at Twyford today for the 07:04 but thanks to a clear run on the relief line it was only 1 minute late at Paddington. On the other hand the 07:23 was shown on the arrivals board there as being 14 minutes late...
gpn01

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2007, 09:10:38 »

Today's 07:02 from Maidenhead departed on time but looked like there was standing room only.  So, I held off for the 07:04 (which was pretty crowded too).  According to the announcement on the train we were just five minutes late into Paddington....which was a bit odd because I'm sure the clock said 07:36 when we disembarked and yet its due in at 07:27.   Maybe 'arrival' is counted as when it passes Royal Oak or something!
gpn01

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2007, 08:24:47 »

Today's 07:02 arrived at Maidenhead a few minutes late and then zapped off to London while the 07:04 held on platform 4.  Presumably this enabled it to arrive at Paddington on time.  07:04 arrived about 7 minutes late Paddington...so not a bad start to the day really.....unless you were a Maidenhead passenger on platform 2 waiting for the earlier 06:43, which I overheard somebody say just went straight through without stopping.  I noticed the screen mentioned something about a train being cancelled, so maybe that was it.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2007, 17:33:38 »

It was cancelled throughout from Reading - Paddington
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2007, 21:01:17 »

9.03 departure from Maidenhead arrived 12 minutes late at Paddington today.. It did arrive only about 3 minutes late yesterday though, so fingers crossed for the rest of the week..
gpn01

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2007, 08:17:24 »

With both the 07:02 and the 07:04 showing on the board as on time at Maidenhead this morning I opted to hang back on platform 4 for the more comfortable 07:04 HST (High Speed Train).  Watched the 07:02 arrive and thought should I, shouldn't I?  Decided not to sprint over to platform 2, at which point the monitor updated to say the 07:04 was delayed until 07:07....when it was now too late to switch platforms.  Ho hum!  07:04 arrived slightly late, as full as ever, and arrived at Paddington just a few minutes late.  Not perfect but good enough!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2007, 14:15:30 »

What stock is the 0702 formed of?
gpn01

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2007, 17:01:07 »

Sorry, I don't "do" trains - I only know Adelantes and HST (High Speed Train)'s and it's neither of those.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2007, 17:34:52 »

Must be a turbo then!
WDcommuter

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2007, 10:58:34 »

Delays this morning - ended up getting on the 8.06 at 8.23 (wasn't too bad for me as I'd planned to catch the 8.21, but that was expected at 8.35).

Edit: Just checked FGW (First Great Western) website - signalling problems between Southall and Slough to blame.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 11:02:26 by WDcommuter » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: