Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:15 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 20:18:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[249] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[57] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[38] Cornish delays
[36] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[20] Where have I been?
[20] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 00.20 Paddington to Slough (and beyond) Friday 14th December  (Read 12420 times)
johoare

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2012, 00:18:33 »

This train was so packed last night that the driver (DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) obviously) was having to tell people to wait for the next train (the 00.20 is first stop Slough though.. not sure people would want to wait ten minutes for one that stops everywhere and so get back a lot later... but FGW (First Great Western) obviously think it's ok)... At Slough where I had to get off (as that train doesn't stop at Maidenhead) there must have been more than 100 people in the taxi queue...

Which raises a couple of questions

1.. What were all the other FGW carriages doing on a Friday night to make this train only 3 carriages (especially bearing in mind that the next day was Saturday so no rush hour to contend with train wise).. I was on a similar timed train on a Saturday evening a few weeks ago and it was the same.. so sounds like it's the norm with FGW..
2..Where were all these people in the taxi queue going (hypothetical question  Roll Eyes?  If it's Maidenhead perhaps it might be worth having a better late night service there (altho the Slough Taxi drivers must love it....not so sure about the Maidenhead ones though)..
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 11:43:27 »

Write in and let them know how busy it was.  There are plenty of carriages about that time of night - even if three of them only went as far as Reading, a 6-car should be easy to resource.  Late evening services are so busy these days, and in the run up to Christmas especially there really should be more carriages provided.  Over the years there have been some improvements to the late evening trains - extra stops at Maidenhead, the Fridays only 23:42 train are two examples - but FGW (First Great Western) haven't kept up with demand as they should have done, and at a time of day when there are no shortage of carriages available it is unacceptable that they haven't.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 18:24:52 »

In my experience writing in will not get extra carriages.. but I could almost tell you what the reply will be (which will include the cut and paste bit about not being able to find extra carriages from nowhere as they won't read the time of the train properly)... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 19:18:08 »

It's not just an FGW (First Great Western) problem. I had the misfortune of catching a late train from Clapham Junction a couple of Saturdays ago on SWT (South West Trains). Every train came in as four carriages, and every time there were people left behind.
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 21:52:27 »

In my experience writing in will not get extra carriages.. but I could almost tell you what the reply will be (which will include the cut and paste bit about not being able to find extra carriages from nowhere as they won't read the time of the train properly)... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
It will with South Eastern High Speed - but that's a whole different thing.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 19:13:26 by EBrown » Logged

I am no longer an active member of this website.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 11:08:58 »

The specifics about each complaint all get logged, and the more complaints about overcrowding on late night trains, the more prominence that gets and the more likely something would be done about it.  Granted, one letter isn't going to change anything, but the more letters sent in, the more chance something will get done.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 12:12:04 »

I remember during the Olympics, I worked the 00:30 additional PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains) on a Friday night, and we had additional stop-orders for Slough and Maidenhead.  The DSM at Paddington told me that they had arranged the additional stops on the HST (High Speed Train) set, as the 2 stopper units leaving at a similar time were both short-formed due to train faults and earlier set swaps, so clearly there's some issue even at that time on a Friday.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 12:16:02 »

The 23:00 Paddington to Oxford on a Saturday night was recently extended as it was getting silly with a 3-Car.  Much more could/should be done though.

swrural

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 12:34:47 »

How about sending in the link to this thread, as part of your complaint,  to emphasise the point??
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 15:12:04 »

I was on the very same train as the OP (Original Poster / topic starter) on Friday night and can confirm that it was absolutely mental.

I hopped off at Slough and joined the Maidenhead cab queue.  Fortunately we didn't have to wait too long as we cab shared with some strangers.

Its not just the Friday night trains that are silly - I caught a late night train last Thursday and could barely breathe it was so crowded.

johoare

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 21:44:31 »

The specifics about each complaint all get logged, and the more complaints about overcrowding on late night trains, the more prominence that gets and the more likely something would be done about it.  Granted, one letter isn't going to change anything, but the more letters sent in, the more chance something will get done.

But specifics in  my experience, as I said, just get standard cut and paste replies as they don't notice train times.. Don't worry I've been travelling and giving feedback to FGW (First Great Western) for many many years.. Nothing has changed really...  Grin
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 21:45:53 »

I was on the very same train as the OP (Original Poster / topic starter) on Friday night and can confirm that it was absolutely mental.

I hopped off at Slough and joined the Maidenhead cab queue.  Fortunately we didn't have to wait too long as we cab shared with some strangers.

Its not just the Friday night trains that are silly - I caught a late night train last Thursday and could barely breathe it was so crowded.

I guess you weren't someone I shared a cab with then?  I shared with a couple and another female... Bit of a tour of Maidenhead..
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 22:14:00 »

Out of my area so no comment on the topic at hand, save to say welcome to the forum NickB.  Smiley

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 22:17:24 »

oops.. good point... welcome from me too! Sorry I didn't say that before NickB
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 23:45:36 »

<tounge in cheek> FGW (First Great Western) seem to only notice exact train times when Compensation could be/is due Tongue Tongue Tongue </tounge in cheek>

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: