I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:15 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:19:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Major delays/cancellations, Paddington to Reading, 20 December 2012 and ongoing ...  (Read 66436 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 17:59:38 »

Oh dear - touch and go for a taxi to Melksham....
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 18:12:47 »

On 1718 Oxford left Pad on time just passing Slough 1813
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 19:02:54 »

I am on the 16:00 departed 16:10 special  padd to rdg calling at slough maidenhead 16:45 trundeling through ealing Broadway

Have you got to Reading yet?  I am on the 17:15 to Carmarthen, left 17:27, trundling through Ealing Broadway at 17:55  and we are warned that trains ahead are up to an hour and 40 minutes late at Reading Undecided

Got to Maidenhead at 17:30 .......... (just in time to catch the 17:30 departure non-stop Padd if I had wanted too) but went for the Marlow branch instead 

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 19:04:24 »

Oh dear - touch and go for a taxi to Melksham....

Arrived Reading 18:47 ... by which time the TransWilts service had left Swindon according to the web.

Train Manager has announced that he's finding out about Cheltenham connections at Swindon, and "various" connections from Newport.  No mention of Melksham, Trowbridge, Westbury or Warminster

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2012, 19:33:18 »

Arrived Reading 18:47 ... by which time the TransWilts service had left Swindon according to the web.

However, you can't believe everything you read on the web ... I got to Swindon at 19:18 and the delayed TransWilts service left at 19:25 - now bowling along on the way to Chippenham, wondering if the single line's going to be given to us or the 19:35 Westbury to Swindon.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2012, 20:49:23 »

Delays now expected until Friday midday - oh joy Wink
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2012, 21:38:30 »

This is the Slough New Panel again.  I thought this was relatively modern equipment (1990's?).  Why does it keep failing so catastrophically?
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2012, 22:07:57 »

'Contingency Plan Three' from Network Rail and FGW (First Great Western) is in place.

See attachment.

Initial paragraph seems odd:  "...and assumes two pairs of lines (ML or RL) available for traffic."

Isn't two pairs of lines the normal situation, and as per the title this plan is for only one pair of lines, ie a two track railway?

Paul
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2012, 22:17:36 »

Delays now expected until Friday midday - oh joy Wink

Please... No. Sad

Im off 2 Souffend 4 xmas tomoz innit bruv!

Sorry. Couldn't resist! I'm going to Southend tomorrow. Booked an evening train though. Hopefully they'll be no dramas. NRE(resolve) has told me I should be able to get the 23:15 from London Liverpool Street. Considering I feel like death warmed up right now, the cynic in me is telling me that is very optimistic. The last train from London Liverpool Street is 00:50 so assuming the Paddington train is on time. It won't all go wrong*. Assuming the Paddington is an hour late. That could then be disaster. Whilst I don't mind that, I hope that FGW (First Great Western) don't do what has happened previously and send me onto Liverpool Street so as to put it bluntly "Become someone elses problem"

The worst that GreaterAnglia could do assuming I just miss the last service for SOV is send me as far as Shenfield and a taxi from there... But Class 315's**? No. Just. No. Lips sealed

* - Subject to GreaterAnglia or a Third Party not breaking the train set
** - Bonus points if anyone can say why that would be a very bad idea for thetrout... Lips sealed

Grin Grin Grin Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2012, 02:51:25 »

Estimate of disruption, from internal sources, has now slipped to 1500. This has not yet filtered down to the public information sources.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2012, 04:33:49 »

This has not yet filtered down to the public information sources.

Has now ...

Owing to signalling problems between Slough and Southall some lines are blocked.
Impact:
Train services running through these stations may be cancelled, delayed by up to 60 mins or revised at short notice. Disruption is expected until 15:00 21/12.
Message Received :21/12/2012 04:12

I can't be using the train today.  In my job, I have to be on my customer site, and teaching a class, at the pre-agreed time; no good being late - if a delegate's delayed, it only effects him but if the teacher is late, it effects everyone.  And I have to present myself on site fit to do an excellent day's work, not tired / stressed from an elongated and not-fully-preplanned journey.  Can I get a fifth of my weekly season ticket price back to offset against alternative travel costs, or am I left paying for the consequences of rail industry's failure to provide the advertised services, as well as for a ticket I won't be using as fully as I otherwise would have?  Undecided

« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 04:44:03 by grahame » Logged

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2012, 05:52:50 »

Can I get a fifth of my weekly season ticket price back to offset against alternative travel costs, or am I left paying for the consequences of rail industry's failure to provide the advertised services, as well as for a ticket I won't be using as fully as I otherwise would have?  Undecided

Submit a claim.

Whilst the Passenger Charter doesn't say what compensation arrangements there are for Weekly Season holders who, because of severe disruption, decide not to travel, I'm fairly sure a claim will be looked at sympathetically. I would expect a pro-rata rate of compensation based on the daily rate. Similar to that offered when a service is delayed or cancelled.

FGW (First Great Western) have lifted ticket time restrictions on their services this morning. Which is good news for me. I can set out to London somewhat earlier this morning, only paying for Off Peak fares. Every cloud.....

Hope that's not rubbing it in too much, grahame.   Wink

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2012, 06:05:43 »

From the Oxford Mail:

Rail passengers between Oxfordshire and London face further disruption due to signal fault

DISRUPTION to train services between Oxfordshire and London Paddington is expected to continue for much of today.

First Great Western is warning passengers that problems could last until at least mid-afternoon while Network Rail engineers try to repair a major signalling fault at Airport Junction in West London affecting track circuits which detect the position of trains.

The number of trains able to use the line between Slough and Paddington has been severely limited since late yesterday morning.

Services were at a standstill for a period around midday and although two of the four tracks through the area soon reopened, many trains between London and Oxfordshire suffered delays of more than 90 minutes during the afternoon and evening rush-hour due to limited capacity on the lines that were in use.

FGW (First Great Western) tickets will be accepted on Chiltern Railways services between Banbury, Bicester North, Haddenham & Thame Parkway and London Marylebone and on South West Trains' route between Reading and London Waterloo until further notice.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2012, 07:32:34 »

The Travel Disruptions page on the FGW (First Great Western) website is now saying services to Heathrow have been suspended because of a separate signalling problem.  Although not good news for those trying to get to the airport it will at least help the mainline with yet fewer trains running.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2012, 08:51:52 »

** - Bonus points if anyone can say why that would be a very bad idea for thetrout... Lips sealed
no toilets.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: