Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 19:55 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 19:40 Redhill to Reading
19:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 20:05:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 150th Anniversary of the London Underground  (Read 10171 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2013, 06:05:05 »

On the 9th January 1863 the world's first Underground Railway opened in London. The line ran from Paddington (Bishop's Road) to Farringdon Street. That day the first train ran from Paddington carrying the great and the good to Farringdon Street Station where a banquet for 600 people was held. The line didn't open to fare paying passengers until the following day 10th January. 

Today this section of line is still in use as part of the Hammersmith and City, Circle and Metropolitan lines.

Happy birthday London Underground!  Grin

There are many news items and web pages devoted to this anniversary. Below is just a small selection:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/projectsandschemes/25979.aspx with further links to a Facebook timeline, a feature on art on the Underground and details of anniversary gifts and souvenirs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-20916568 BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) London feature on the Underground 'brand'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-20837356 another BBC item, this time about the people whose family history is intertwined with the Underground.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jan/09/london-underground-150-years-birthday an article from the guardian.

Edited to fix incorrect linkEmbarrassed
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 21:34:55 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 06:43:02 »

There is also a set of 10 stamps issued by Royal Mail out today to mark the occasion.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 10:24:59 »

Royal mint are also supposed to be doing some new coins to celebrate this
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 18:31:25 »

The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) have also published an article covering the construction methods used 150 years ago, compared with today's Crossrail tunnelling:

Tube 150th anniversary: How navvies paved way for Crossrail

The shield offered workers some protection but conditions underground were still extremely dangerous

See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-20854680

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 20:02:26 »

There is also a set of 10 stamps issued by Royal Mail out today to mark the occasion.

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Stamps celebrate London Underground 150th anniversary

Among the scenes are a steam locomotive, builders at work and a carriage of Edwardian passengers

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 20:35:57 »

There are another 4 in the set. But they are the best ones in my opinion.
basset44

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 15:42:07 »

Hi All,

Video on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) of Train

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20968919

Would lobe to have done this

Basset
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 21:37:01 »

I'd have love to have done that too.. I like the fact it says Paddington to Farringdon should have been 17 minutes... I don't think that is possible these days.. I was also slightly perturbed to see Earls Court in the video since that isn't between the two  Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 22:18:53 »

This was, I believe the final test run/press run between Kensington (Olympia) and Moorgate ahead of the official 150th Anniversary journeys on 13th and 20th January.

Kensington (Olympia) and Moorgate are being used due to the availability of platform space to stable the steam loco and carriages before and after the special runs without affecting the normal operation of the Underground.

Tickets for the specials on 13th and 20th January have sold out, but details of the timings can be found at the following link:

http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/assets/downloads/pdfs/LU150_timetablesandprices.pdf

Passengers with normal tickets/Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) will be able to see the special trains at stations en route on the 13th and 20th. However, if there are concerns about safety and/or overcrowding then access to stations may be limited. Normal rules regarding photography on the Underground apply. Personal use only and no tripods or flash.

Further events celebrating 150 years of the London Underground are being held throughout the year. Details can be found on the London Transport Museum website:

http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/whats-on/tube150/calendar#steam
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 22:24:31 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 12:24:57 »

I am amazed that the elfansafety have allowed a real steam locomotive to be used on a tube line.
Most impressive.

A fair number of people dont seem to believe this, believing it to be in some way faked or done with theatrical special effects.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 12:40:27 »

I am amazed that the elfansafety have allowed a real steam locomotive to be used on a tube line.

Great great great grandfather rights, isn't it  Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 13:35:51 »

Most impressive.

...its not a Tube Line its a Sub-Surface Line..... Roll Eyes
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 00:21:39 »

Currently on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) iPlayer there is a welcome repeat of the London Transport episode of architectural series 'Art Deco Icons' from 2009.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00npm4g/Art_Deco_Icons_London_Transport/  (available until 4am 24/01/2013)

David Heathcote explores the dramatic 1930s London Transport HQ (Headquarters) in St James's, London. When it was built in the1930s, it was the highest skyscraper in London. Heathcote goes behind the scenes and uncovers the story of a building so controversial that Frank Pick, who commissioned it, offered to resign from the London Underground Company, because there were so many complaints about its ambitious design.

The HQ became the nerve centre for an Art Deco transformation of the underground which remains today. David Heathcote ventures out on the Piccadilly Line to Southgate to investigate. For many, it is just the scene of a crowded journey to work, but Heathcote discovers a perfect example of a co-ordinated Deco look. The sleek tube station uses streamlined features, soft uplighting and chrome to create a glamorous overall effect. It may be lost on the commuters on their way to work, but for Heathcote it is a moment to stand back and enjoy the marvel that was Art Deco.

The art and architecture of London Transport has long fascinated me and I'm a particular fan of the effortless, timeless style that is Art Deco. A perfect balance of classicism and modernism.

When I win big on the lottery I'll be building myself a home in the Art Deco style, perhaps with a touch of Bauhaus. If funds allow then an apartment in Du Cane Court, Balham as well.  Cool

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 14:02:12 »

Also being shown on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Four Thursday morning, 3:30am (it has been on twice already this week). The whole Art Deco Icons series is being repeated.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 12:06:17 »

The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) are screening a new 150th anniversery special episode of the Tube on thursday on BBC2:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01sjtzw

The second series is expected soon along with buses documentary series (That I wasnt expecting too be honest)
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: