I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:55 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 19:40 Redhill to Reading
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 20:58:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Hotels and B&Bs near railway stations  (Read 99743 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 25, 2013, 16:03:04 »

...  a new thread with useful reviews of railway-convenient lodging would be useful - as long as the laws of libel are observed! ...

From a suggestion in a "Frequent Posters" topic.   I (and many others, I know) make a variety of train journeys and stay away at t'other end;  I look for somewhere that's convenient, clean, safe, and friendly where I can get a good night's sleep.  Other's priorities will vary.   I'm opening up this new thread, which I'll make "sticky" so that people can post on places that they've stayed.

Notes:

Views posted here are personal. If you're the poster, you're responsible for what they say.  If you're making a decision based on the posts, you're doing so on the original poster's say-so and not with any recommendation from the board.  If you're responsible for the place being posted about and would like to comment - you're very welcome to sign up and do so, or to get in touch with me be email if you prefer.

Posting for hotels / B&Bs suitable for rail users in the UK (United Kingdom). If you want to tell us about a great place that's a long way from the station, only do so in exceptions circumstances such as "owner will meet you off any train" - and let's stick to the British Isles and not dilute to great hotels in the Netherlands.   By all means tell us about those in a separate thread

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 17:18:04 »

This is a really good idea, though the postings may need organising so that they can be accessed in alphabetical order by station. Some recent ones...

Skipton (OK, well out of FGW (First Great Western)-land) {SKI} : Herriott's. Immediately opposite the station. Very good and warmly recommended.

Newcastle upon Tyne {NCL} : Royal Station Hotel. Part of the station site and has a station-side entrance, though "security" barriers have made it more difficult to use of late. Rather old-fashioned, though the rooms have been refurbished to a decent standard.

Preston {PRE}. I use the Premier Inn that's 5 minutes walk from the station. Though there's a pub just outside the side entrance that's even closer.

Some others, that I've stayed in in the past, that are handy, but that I don't know what they're like at the moment:

Exeter St Davids {EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains)} : Great Western

Carlisle {CAR} : County Hotel. Just outside station. If you're stuck between trains, their Mexican restaurant is a good place to eat.

Heald Green (south side of Manchester) {HDG} . Another Premier Inn that's handy for the station.

Derby {DBY} : Midland, but it's very pricey. Next door to the station.

Leeds {LDS} : Queens (same comment applies). Part of the station site.

Chesterfield {CHD} : Chesterfield Hotel. 100m from station. We used to use this for training courses on account of the ability to get to it by train from almost anywhere. But then it went into administration... Still trading, but no recent reports.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 17:35:01 by Worcester_Passenger » Logged
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 17:20:15 »

Morpeth {MPT} : Waterford Lodge. 5 minute walk from station down into the town. Recommended.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 17:35:35 by Worcester_Passenger » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 17:28:45 »

Portsmouth Harbour {PMH}: The Lady Hamilton.

Small pub/bed and breakfast. Excellent value and the roast dinners (served every day) are fantastic.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 17:29:56 »

This is a really good idea, though the postings may need organising so that they can be accessed in alphabetical order by station.

And that is in turn a good idea.   Cheesy

If posters can add the station code (in curly braces?) I should be able to add a map - I've got one running already for the current "Four in a Bed" TV series rather than station-friendly hotels - http://www.wellho.net/demo/hotels.html

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 17:48:29 »

{PGN} Paignton

Stayed at the The Ashleigh Guest House in 2010.  It is between the railway station and the seafront and overlooks the Paignton & Dartmouth steam railway.  Bright and clean with a very attentive host - who even remembered my name throughout my stay.  Excellent variety at breakfast, mini fridge in the room, good choice of channels on room tv and a decent lounge if you don't want to sit in your room.

Very reasonably priced, especially out of season.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 18:02:34 »

Aha. I've stayed in the Ashleigh in Paignton as well!

I concur with bobm. Great location, great breakfast. I was able to watch some cricket being played on the neighbouring pitch with trains steaming in the background.

Off to see if I can dig up the pictures I took when there in 2009. Only about 8 memory cards to go through!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 18:03:42 »

Portsmouth Harbour {PMH}: The Lady Hamilton.

Small pub/bed and breakfast. Excellent value and the roast dinners (served every day) are fantastic.

Can vouch for that - stayed there in 2011, although not - as far as I know - at the same time as BNM!

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 18:04:34 »

Well that is just spooky......
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 18:11:02 »

Weird. Almost instantaneous posts each concurring with the other.  Cool

Who's stalking who?  Shocked Wink Grin

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 22:11:52 »

From the last 18 months or so ...
{ALO} Claremont Lodge, Alloa - In desparate need of redecoration and update, but friendlyness maded up for that 110%
{GCR» (Gloucester - next trains)} Station Hotel and Cafe Bar, Gloucseter - really useful location and rooms fine. Breakfast service painfully slow
{PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)} Norfolk Plaza, Paddington - quite basic, but excellent value at Laterooms / cheaper and less stressful than commuting to MKM» (Melksham (Station code) - next trains)
{LIN} Bonsyde House Hotel, Linlithgow - BEWARE - "3 minutes from station" is in a racecar, and there are no taxis.
{LBG} LSE Bankside House, London Bridge - student digs, utilitarian but useful for bed in London overnight.
{LIV} Adelphi, Liverpool - faded grandeur; you'll love it or hate it
{PAD} Bayswater Inn Hotel, Paddington - OK for the night at Lateroom rates.
{MCO} Ibis, Manchester Oxford Road - yep, good, would certainly stay again
{FNB} Travelodge, Farnborough - not my cup of tea. Tired, clinical, breakfast (sortof) provided by clearly uninterested staff
{CBG} Fenners Hotel, Cambridge - well, it was near the station. Staff's parents dropped off / picked up with blaring radio and left engines running while waiting right outside my window.
Maldron, CityWest (Dublin) - Good; clean; lacked open restaurant though advertised it. Disinterested staff. Tram.
Savoro, High Barnet - Excellent room, superb breakfast. Staff concentrated on regulars to exclusion of others. Tube.
Smith's Guest House, Edinburgh - clean and tidy, but many rules and limited check in time.  Bus not train.

Chains ... which I also use and expect to use again;  can't think of any near stations that I've used though:
Holiday Inn Express
Premier Inn
Both chains generally good;  occasional exception at Premier Inn, but that's probably because I've used so many of them.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 14:08:20 by grahame » Logged

trainer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 22:37:07 »

{YRK} There is a convenient Premier Inn less than five minutes walk (honestly) up the road from York Station in which I received a pleasant welcome despite it being busy.  However, next time I will opt for a much cheaper breakfast at J D Wetherspoon nearby (more basic, but half the price) and avoid the parties of lovely foreign students which dominated the breakfast room.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 22:42:26 »

Wembley Stadium {WCX}. Ibis London Wembley.

I really like the Ibis brand and will choose them ahead of Travelodge and Premier Inns. Ibis London Wembley often has very cheap rates when there is nothing on at the Stadium which is right next door. Just 10 minutes to Marylebone from the adjacent Wembley Stadium Station or a 5-10 minute walk to either Wembley Central or Wembley Park giving access to many other parts of London by National Rail/Underground/Overground.

Ask for a front facing room on the upper floors for fantastic views over West London. I've stayed here numerous times and never found fault with either the room allocated or facilities. The queen size beds are really comfortable.

The rates here are often just half the price of other more centrally located Ibis hotels in London. Put the money saved toward a Travelcard or Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) credit!

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 23:24:06 »

Chains ... which I also use and expect to use again;  can't think of any near stations that I've used though:
Holiday Inn Express
Premier Inn
Both chains generally good;  occasional exception at Premier Inn, but that's probably because I've used so many of them.
Thanks for the reminder.
Brentwood {BRE}. Premier Inn.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 23:37:40 »

Melksham, Wiltshire. {MKM» (Melksham (Station code) - next trains)}

While his innate modesty may prevent grahame's posting such a link here, I personally can recommend the excellent Well House Manor, as I've stayed there several times.

A reasonably short walk from the station, or a cheap taxi ride - or a collection service may be available - to the hotel.  And vice versa, obviously.  Grin

Chris.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: