19/04/24 06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
19/04/24 06:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
19/04/24 07:13 Great Malvern to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 02:44:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Hotels and B&Bs near railway stations  (Read 99915 times)
81F
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2014, 07:51:11 »

I think richwaricker was unlucky. I have stayed 3 times at the Premier Inn at Torquay and found it to be quite OK with no problem with noise or overheating.
Premier Inn have a "good night's sleep" guarantee and will refund your money if you're not satisfied. I invoked this once after staying at a very noisy Burton-on-Trent, and they refunded both nights without question.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2014, 07:56:07 »

I think richwaricker was unlucky. I have stayed 3 times at the Premier Inn at Torquay and found it to be quite OK with no problem with noise or overheating.
Premier Inn have a "good night's sleep" guarantee and will refund your money if you're not satisfied. I invoked this once after staying at a very noisy Burton-on-Trent, and they refunded both nights without question.

If the room had been cooler or the air con unit quieter it would have been a good stay without a doubt. Our room had the sun coming in the window most of the day.
Admittedly the heat was probably uncontrollable for premier inn, but a noisy air con unit was within their control.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2014, 19:06:07 »

I recommend the Bluebell at Neath Not much further than the west end of the platform.  Well kept good food.  The only complaint by some was the lack of parking. But if you have come by train...
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2014, 21:01:53 »

Hope you got a refund under their "Great night's sleep guaranteed" scheme.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2014, 21:40:08 »

Hope you got a refund under their "Great night's sleep guaranteed" scheme.
I have and it wasn't a cheap booking neither due to only booking 5 days in advance.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2015, 08:42:05 »

Dogs - Trains - Overnight and also self catering Accomodation

Background - I'm getting requests for dog friendly hotels and self catering near railway stations.  And taking the definition as within a 20 minute WALK of the station - many places say "dog welcoming by train" by in practise turn out to be a bus ride from the station.

1. St Germans and Hayle
http://www.railholiday.co.uk

2. Penhelig
http://www.penheligarms.com/bedrooms-and-rates

3. Melksham
http://www.wellhousemanor.co.uk

4. Accor Hotels (many locations) [Ibis, Mercure brands]
http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/brands/hotels-ibis.shtml

5. (ish)
Late Rooms allow something like "Plymouth Railway" to be entered as the destination.
However, the "per friendly" option seems to have disappeared from their facilities menu

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2015, 08:55:14 »

5. (ish)
Late Rooms allow something like "Plymouth Railway" to be entered as the destination.
However, the "per friendly" option seems to have disappeared from their facilities menu

By contrast Booking.com has a pets allowed filter but you have to look at individual hotels to see how far they are from a station.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2015, 20:41:31 »

Has anyone used airbnb before?  In many places, city centre apartments appear to be cheaper than hotel rooms.

I was recommended by a friend and have booked a nice looking apartment in Central Nice for ^65 per night.  Slightly cheaper than a hotel (excluding Ibis Budget and Formule 1).  Advantage over a hotel is that I get a small kitchenette (microwave, kettle, hobs, fridge), a dining table and futon/sofa.  I will report back after my stay.

There is a scheme for new customers to get ^23 off a booking when referred by an existing customer, as I was.  Although I later discovered there were more advantageous discount codes online.

(They also let you filter for properties accepting pets)

Edit by FT, N! to correct fonts. I hope it was ^65, as I guessed, not ^65 - check first!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 21:21:38 by Four Track, Now! » Logged
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2015, 21:53:22 »

Brucey- I have been recommended airbnb but never used them. Looking online they seem to have a good reputation.

LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2015, 11:02:34 »

I've recently stayed at travelodge gatwick Central. Bedroom accommodation was clearly recently refurbished with an excellent bed, very comfortable. At ^30 a night it was very good value for location.
The hotel is advertised as recently refurbished, however they seem to have forgotten the bathrooms, which in my room had cracked tiles and looked dated.

https://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/517/Gatwick-Airport-Central-hotel

Also stayed at premier inn gatwick A23, again very comfortable room, slightly more expensive than travelodge at ^35 but had a good bathroom!

http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/GATMTI/london-gatwick-airport-a23-airport-way

The travelodge required a bus transfer at ^3 I think it was (probably walkable, about 1 mile away, but I arrived about 8pm off the train and flight was 6am so couldn't be bothered to try and walk BNM explains below), the premier inn had the option of a bus transfer again ^3, but was walkable from the north terminal being situated on the exit roundabout behind the petrol station.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 15:59:52 by richwarwicker » Logged

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2015, 15:10:45 »

I have done the walk from Gatwick station to Gatwick Travelodge. About a mile, yes. But not recommended. Along busy main roads with not very pedestrian friendly junctions.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2015, 22:17:52 »

Earlier this year I stayed at The White House Hotel in Horley so I could catch an early morning flight from Gatwick. Not too long a walk from the station, a pleasant hotel and I slept well. A short walk to a bus stop to get to the Airport in the early hours. Bus arrived on time. Two weeks ago I decided to do something different. Instead of staying at a Gatwick hotel the night before, I decided to fly out the afternoon before and spend one extra night in Berlin. The main reason for this is that on some previous city breaks I have been so tired when I arrive at the hotel approx 10 / 11 am I have crashed out on the bed and lost the afternoon hours that I had planned to use for sightseeing.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2016, 21:31:20 »

I've booked Croydon EasyHotel for 2 1/2 weeks time. Only intending on using the room to sleep so as long as clean and bed comfortable i'll be happy. Base cost was ^19 per night and then I paid ^2 extra per night for a window room.

Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2016, 20:24:03 »

Can anyone recommend a hotel near South Kensington station (or within a short commute) that costs less than ^147 (about ^111) per night, including breakfast, in early April?

My employer has a maximum level that isn't quite compatible with London pricing.  I've already had one expensive booking over the limit this year, so don't want to keep having to get special dispensation to overspend!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2016, 20:33:56 »

Plenty of Travelodges in Central London that'd come in well under that price. Then just choose the one you think best for the short commute.

London Fulham Travelodge for example. ^47 on Monday 4th April. Short walk to West Brompton for 8-9 minute District Line journey to South Kensington.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
  Print  

Jump to: