Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:15 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:57 Exmouth to Paignton
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 15:16:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Signalling - centralised operations may lead to wider problems in the future?  (Read 20308 times)
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 23:35:36 »

2M11 on Melksham single line changing ends and diverted via Bristol upon arriving and reversing at Bradford Junction (0704 Westbury-Gloucester)

Did that service actually reverse at Bradford Junction? I wouldn't have thought that would be possible as most moves such as this would be done at Westbury where the platforms are bidirectional.

Of course am happy to be corrected... Just didn't think that was possible and even allowed...?

For the second time today, another prime example of the Melksham - Bradford-on-Avon part of the Bradford Junction Triangle... Angry

Grin Grin Grin Grin
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2013, 13:29:06 »

Quite possible to reversse at Bradford Junction.  It is a fully signalled move.

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Louis94

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2013, 22:18:32 »

1A04 was allowed to continue once override switches has been switched in between Swindon and Didcot

I may know a little more about signalling than your average man in the street but I'm a bit mystified by these overrides of which you speak - can you elaborate? Are you talking about manually keying the automatic signals back to danger and allowing trains to pass using handsignallers, or of a method of operation that I've apparently never heard of?

If I am entirely honest I am not 100% sure myself! All I know is that these switches control a far bigger area than a just one signal. All I can imagine is that they allow on the ground staff to control a trains without the signal box - if anyone does know there function I would be very interested!
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2013, 12:42:09 »

Quite possible to reversse at Bradford Junction.  It is a fully signalled move.

Ah, that was what I was asking the other day (the mythical main line 'Lacock' bridge incident with the river flowing under it   Grin  remember) and I was given the impression one had to take the HST (High Speed Train) to Westbury.

So the triangle completed woould be dead handy as a permanent feature (not just for electrification, although needing thunderbird engines at Chippenham and Bathampton, I suppose) but it could be managed already, interesting.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2013, 12:58:53 »

1A04 was allowed to continue once override switches has been switched in between Swindon and Didcot

I may know a little more about signalling than your average man in the street but I'm a bit mystified by these overrides of which you speak - can you elaborate? Are you talking about manually keying the automatic signals back to danger and allowing trains to pass using handsignallers, or of a method of operation that I've apparently never heard of?

If I am entirely honest I am not 100% sure myself! All I know is that these switches control a far bigger area than a just one signal. All I can imagine is that they allow on the ground staff to control a trains without the signal box - if anyone does know there function I would be very interested!

The local overides (quite a new facility on the Western) as opposed to remote overides worked from the relevant signalbox panel, put the signalling into what is called 'Through Routes' mode.  All of the principal running lines controlled interlocking signals are set up for the main running movements and they then work automatically without signaller intervention.  All remote interlockings at panel signalboxes have some form of 'Overide' that will set and put 'Through Routes' into operation.  Some panels also have 'Selective' overide.  This can be used to select key routes at critical junctions. Although all of these remote panel overides are usually sufficient and are battery backed up, these are no good if the signalbox panel gets blacked out (which is an extremely rare event).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 21:06:15 by SandTEngineer » Logged
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2013, 13:38:23 »

The local overides (quite a new facility on the Western) as opposed to remote overides worked from the relevant signalbox panel, put the signalling into what is called 'Through Routes' mode.  All of the principal running lines controlled interlocking signals are set up for the main running movements and they then work automatically without signaller intervention.  All remote interlockings at panel signalboxes have some form of 'Overide' that will set and put 'Through Routes' into operation.  Some panels also have 'Selective' overide.  This can be used to select key routes at critical junctions. Although all of these remote panel overides are usually sufficient and are battery backed up, these are no good if the signalbox panel gets blacked out.

So do these local overides basically allow some box by the side of the line somewhere to work automatically?

And I suppose that means someone actually going there to press the button?

If the panle had not blacked out could the panel have done this remotely?
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2013, 13:44:27 »

The local overides (quite a new facility on the Western) as opposed to remote overides worked from the relevant signalbox panel, put the signalling into what is called 'Through Routes' mode.  All of the principal running lines controlled interlocking signals are set up for the main running movements and they then work automatically without signaller intervention.  All remote interlockings at panel signalboxes have some form of 'Overide' that will set and put 'Through Routes' into operation.  Some panels also have 'Selective' overide.  This can be used to select key routes at critical junctions. Although all of these remote panel overides are usually sufficient and are battery backed up, these are no good if the signalbox panel gets blacked out.

So do these local overides basically allow some box by the side of the line somewhere to work automatically?

And I suppose that means someone actually going there to press the button?

If the panel had not blacked out could the panel have done this remotely?

The switches are located where only authorised railway staff can access them (I'm obviously not going to tell you where).

Somebody has to go to the site (that is why they are called 'Local Overide Switches'  Roll Eyes )

If the panel had not been blacked out but the remote control had been lost then the signaller could have introduced it.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2013, 16:29:38 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

West Sussex fire alert leads to train passenger delays

Rail passengers have been facing delays after a fire alarm led to the evacuation of a railway signal centre. Emergency services cleared Three Bridges station in Crawley, West Sussex, after fire alarms were sounded on Friday morning.

Southern services between Brighton and Horsham via East Croydon and First Capital Connect trains between Brighton and East Croydon are disrupted. First Great Western trains between Gatwick and Redhill are also delayed. The train firms have warned passengers to expect delays and some cancellations until about 16:00 BST.

In a statement, Southern said: "Train services across the Southern network are currently disrupted due to an earlier fire alarm activation in the Three Bridges signalling centre, resulting in the main signalling centre being evacuated. Delays of up to 45 minutes can be expected. Services will remain subject to short notice alteration, delay or cancellations this afternoon."

RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) General Secretary Bob Crow praised staff for the "exemplary fashion" in which they carried out the emergency procedures but said he thought plans to centralise signalling operations could lead to worse disruption in future. He added: "RMT now awaits an inquiry into the full facts behind the incident and the evacuation and the union expects to play a full role in the investigation and the drawing up of any conclusions and recommendations. However, RMT believes that this morning's incident shines the spotlight on plans to centralise signalling operations into 14 regional centres, a move that clearly throws up real risks of putting all the eggs in one basket with the obvious problem of a whole region going down if a centre is taken out of action."

A spokesman for Network Rail said: "The investment we're making to upgrade Britain's railway signalling systems will mean that incidents like this morning's fire alarm at our Three Bridges control room will have significantly less impact on the travelling public in future. Currently, a number of different signalling systems are used across Britain's railway, meaning that if a problem occurs at a control room our options are extremely limited. Our new rail operating centres will all use a single system, meaning control of a section of railway can quickly and easily be transferred to another centre if needed."

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2013, 17:11:59 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):
A spokesman for Network Rail said: "The investment we're making to upgrade Britain's railway signalling systems will mean that incidents like this morning's fire alarm at our Three Bridges control room will have significantly less impact on the travelling public in future. Currently, a number of different signalling systems are used across Britain's railway, meaning that if a problem occurs at a control room our options are extremely limited. Our new rail operating centres will all use a single system, meaning control of a section of railway can quickly and easily be transferred to another centre if needed."

...so NR» (Network Rail - home page) are going to train all of its staff at the Railway Operation Centres to work a bit of the railway anywhere in the UK (United Kingdom) at the drop of a hat.....  Pigs might learn to fly sooner Roll Eyes Cheesy Cheesy
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2013, 18:09:12 »

I suggest what they'll have to do is organise the ROC (Rail Operating Centre - a centralised location for railway signalling and train control operations for a specific route or region)'s building, both its structure and its mechanical and electrical systems, so that the first reaction to a smoke alarm is NOT to immediately evacuate the whole building until such time as it's found to be a false alarm.  There may be fairly straightforward ways to subdivide or compartmentalise the ROCs into operating, ancillary and domestic areas. 

The operating floor (or whatever idea they come up with) doesn't actually have to be one massive room for the whole NR» (Network Rail - home page) route/region, does it?

Paul

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2013, 18:14:28 »

The operating floor (or whatever idea they come up with) doesn't actually have to be one massive room for the whole NR» (Network Rail - home page) route/region, does it?

Paul

...but they are going to be... Roll Eyes
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2013, 19:24:02 »

Of course it doesn't have to be a fire.  Think of the problems over a wide area when there was a power failure at Swindon Panel in February. http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=12086.0

Are there any plans to have local emergency control in case of problems?  As I understand it there used to be (maybe still are) emergency mini-panels at places like Weston-super-Mare and Newbury which could operate in cases of a failure at the main centre.

Hopefully such disruption is rare and is that the thing which sways the argument in favour of the cost savings of centralisation?  The electricity grid is controlled from one central point in Berkshire but does have a back-up centre in the Midlands.  The lights going out over a wide part of the country due to a failure is likely to be more serious than trains being on stop in the great scheme of things.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2013, 19:33:07 »

I understand it will be possible for control to be temporarily transferred to another one of the large signalling centres on spare panels set aside in the event of failure.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2013, 19:37:56 »

Of course it doesn't have to be a fire.  Think of the problems over a wide area when there was a power failure at Swindon Panel in February. http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=12086.0

Thanks for that reminder, bobm - I've therefore taken this opportunity to merge both topics here, in the interests of continuity and completeness ...  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2013, 20:15:36 »

Thanks for that reminder, bobm - I've therefore taken this opportunity to merge both topics here, in the interests of continuity and completeness ...  Wink

There is a lot of work being done to improve along track signalling power supply systems, auto reconfigurable systems are going to be the norm the demo's I've seen they can switch out a fault within milliseconds although a delay of several seconds has to be built in to allow signalling system to let the signals go black before restoring the power.  Within ROCs (Rail Operating Centre - a centralised location for railway signalling and train control operations for a specific route or region) and the outlying remote locations again a lot of design work has been done to make the power system as secure as possible

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: