Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningDelayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 02:31:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello from ThirdRateWestern  (Read 15001 times)
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2007, 13:01:59 »

To be honest - whatever was going to happen, the railways were going to be re-privatised, and I suspect that we're actually seeing the beginning currently of renationalisation (seems a bit off doesn't it). My reasoning for that is that while the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) are controlling every franchise, every franchise that goes tits up is going under management contracts which essentially gives DfT revenue.

Additionally the HST2 will be owned by DfT last time I heard so that certainl is a sign......
beng6969

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2008, 23:11:37 »

Everyone, just think for a moment:

When your on a full and standing train - do you think the staff like it either?
When you miss your connection - do you think the staff had a say?
When your train is cancelled - do you think the station staff had a say?
When you encounter friendly staff - do you ever compliment FGW (First Great Western) on the blogs?

Answer to all these is:

NO

That is a fair point. But I work in retail and the thing you always have to remember is that you are wearing that uniform with the FGW logo on it. Therefore YOU are a representitive of FGW (like it or not). Until the managers and directors of FGW show their faces at stations to actually check in with reallity and see what its like then unfortunatly passengers are goin to take out frustrations with the hard working platform staff. I try not to myself but its very hard as you just cant get in touch with anyone in charge.

P.s i do not agree with people verbally of physicaly assulting anyone.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2008, 23:42:19 »

To be honest - whatever was going to happen, the railways were going to be re-privatised, and I suspect that we're actually seeing the beginning currently of renationalisation (seems a bit off doesn't it). My reasoning for that is that while the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) are controlling every franchise, every franchise that goes tits up is going under management contracts which essentially gives DfT revenue.

Additionally the HST2 will be owned by DfT last time I heard so that certainl is a sign......

Defo- they are reducing the number of TOCs (Train Operating Company) in the UK (United Kingdom). Soon we will have a similar situation to: LMSR, LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about), GWR (Great Western Railway), SR(resolve) etc!

And then:- nationalisation.
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2008, 21:01:34 »

My comment-TO**ER!
Can't beat a thorougly reasoned debate...
Should have made myself known, I work for FGW (First Great Western) and regularly get abuse from passengers who think that it's "my fault" that the trains overcrowded and have even been assaulted by the same idiots, as for Tim's comments about "the customer is always right", well someone who refuses to pay their fare in a fare strike is not a customer because they have not paid for the service which they are using, when I applied for my "customer facing job" I worked for Wessex Trains and I DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains) NOT GET A CHOICE IN FG WINNING THE FRANCHISE OR THE ASSOSCIATED COCK UPS! Most staff totally agree with most passengers and whatever the circumstances WE DO NOT DESERVE TO BE CALLED DI*KS or any of the other names used in minimans blog, And for all of FGW failings they have always backed me whenever a passenger has been abusive. There are numerous members of staff off sick at the moment because of stress which has been induced by aggressive passengers which in turn has meant that turns can't be covered and trains cancelled. At the end of the day FGW aren't great but a lot is down to NR» (Network Rail - home page) and the DFT (Department for Transport) and what can FGW really do about it? I'm sure if there was anything they could do then they would because I bet they don't like the cancellations, short formations and engineering overruns any more than we or you do!

i agree with this post i too worked for wessex and had no choice in becoming fgw,all the problems with fgw are not the fault of the frontline staff it is the fools they have in swindon.it disgusts me that the passengers abuse and blame us for the failings of the company,we do not cock up diagrammes and send trains up north do we?
so to read blogs by people like miniman slagging of the train crew really winds me up,try thinking about it miniman we are just a number and try to do the best we can with the garbage the company supply us with.
miniman after reading your rant sorry blog about staff i would have no hesitation in chucking you off my train if i were to recognise you from points west,then maybe you could have just cause to slag off the staff.
in future aim your ranting at management.

thats it my rant is over
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2008, 21:09:11 »

i too worked for wessex and had no choice in becoming fgw,all the problems with fgw are not the fault of the frontline staff it is the fools they have in swindon.it disgusts me that the passengers abuse and blame us for the failings of the company,we do not cock up diagrammes and send trains up north do we?

Yep, Swindon - Control/Resources: A lot of people who don't know anything about the railway! Not all - but quite a lot.

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
miniman

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2008, 20:45:34 »

miniman after reading your rant sorry blog about staff i would have no hesitation in chucking you off my train if i were to recognise you from points west,then maybe you could have just cause to slag off the staff.

thats it my rant is over

Only just seen this  Smiley

Jeez, how many times do I have to say: my ranting is ALL AIMED AT THE MANAGEMENT! If you read my blog and posts on here, or if you watched Points West, you'd know that I actually said to the film crew that the service has been much better since the new year. I didn't slag off the staff at all. However I also maintain that not all the FGW (First Great Western) frontline staff are angels! I make no bones, for example, about saying that the staff checking tickets on the bridge at CPM» (Chippenham - next trains) are rude, unprofessional and unhelpful.
gaf71

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2008, 10:31:33 »

thats it my rant is over

Only just seen this  Smiley

Jeez, how many times do I have to say: my ranting is ALL AIMED AT THE MANAGEMENT! If you read my blog and posts on here, or if you watched Points West, you'd know that I actually said to the film crew that the service has been much better since the new year. I didn't slag off the staff at all. However I also maintain that not all the FGW (First Great Western) frontline staff are angels! I make no bones, for example, about saying that the staff checking tickets on the bridge at CPM» (Chippenham - next trains) are rude, unprofessional and unhelpful.
could possibly be agency staff, as they are(or were) at Exeter Central
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2008, 10:34:03 »

If I am honest, the only staff I have ever really wanted to have a go at in the past 3 years are 1 Westbury Guard and 1 or 2 Bath/Chippenham revenue bods.

I think though, Bristol has the friendliest bunch of Revenue bods on Gateline around.

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: