Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 00:15 26 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
26th Apr (2016)
DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningCancelled
26/04/24 00:17 Marlow to Maidenhead
26/04/24 05:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 06:04 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 06:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 07:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 07:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 08:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 00:28:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you place these (some old) pictures  (Read 11717 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 03, 2013, 16:09:57 »

Originally posted in "Frequent Posters" and now made publicly visible - I had added links to the original image so you can read more about them

One each to start with please.

Research via the following would probably lead you to some locations quite quickly.  Please resist the temptation if you can for the first 24 hours to make it more fun for others.    I've posted initially in "Frequent Posters" as I know you're a responsible lot who will follow that request  Grin Grin - I will be moving the thread to "the lighter side" once all the locations have been identified so that guests and very new members can enjoy the pictures too.

These images are copyright Malc McDonald, Roger Kidd, David Gruar, John Thorn and Robin Webster and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence - see http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ ; I will post specific links to individual originals in context (recommended rather than required in the license) once the quiz has been completed.

Specific links:
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2823990
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/32084
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3021258
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/624171
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/349979

« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 17:26:21 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 17:19:17 »

4 Black and White is Midford S&D (Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway) with the famous backing signal for trains stalled on the way up to tunnel to back onto the double line section over the viaduct.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 17:29:35 »

2 - Approaching Coombe Junction from the Looe direction. Up Home Signal No.24 on the left with Coombe Junction signalbox in the distance.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 17:36:18 by SandTEngineer » Logged
Kernow Otter
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 17:31:14 »

1.  Bridge over the River Thames, (Cookham/ Bourne End).
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 17:34:04 »

4 Approaching Coombe Junction from the Looe direction.

Do you mean 2?
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 17:36:01 »

4 Approaching Coombe Junction from the Looe direction.

Do you mean 2?

Whoops yes, can't count.  Original post amended. Embarrassed
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 17:38:58 »

2, yes, Coombe
4, yes, Midford

No 1 is not on the Maidehhead - Marlow line  Lips sealed

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 18:45:16 »

The only one I knew for definite was 4, Midford on the S&DJR (Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway). Already answered by eightf48544.

Having read widely on the 'Somerset & Dorset' it was an image I immediately recognised.

Interesting signal arm in that picture.....

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 18:55:30 »

The only one I knew for definite was 4, Midford on the S&DJR (Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway). Already answered by eightf48544.

Having read widely on the 'Somerset & Dorset' it was an image I immediately recognised.

Interesting signal arm in that picture.....

Its called a 'Bow-Tie' signal.......see Items 3.16, 3.17 and 3.18 here: http://www.railsigns.co.uk/sect3page1/sect3page1.html
amiddl

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 19:16:12 »

Would 1 be  the bridge over the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal  Bridge, Wolverhampton (Wolverhampton to Stourbridge Junction)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:StaffsWorcs_Meccano_Bridge.jpg

johoare

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 19:18:26 »

2, yes, Coombe
4, yes, Midford

No 1 is not on the Maidehhead - Marlow line  Lips sealed

At first glance I also wondered if that was the bridge at Bourne end.. But on closer inspection I realised that I wouldn't have been able to walk over the one in the picture (big fear of heights on my part) but I have walked over the Bridge at Bourne end many times :-)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 19:24:13 »

Would 1 be  the bridge over the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal  Bridge, Wolverhampton (Wolverhampton to Stourbridge Junction)

It would indeed ... just the third and fifth images to go. Just one of the remaining images is in FGW (First Great Western) land.

I'll have to take the Marlow train sometime and see the bridge that's obviously very close in looks to the Wolverhampton one.

johoare

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 20:43:18 »

Probably not that close really .. But I had wondered till I saw that I couldn't walk across it.. Then someone else thought that same on here..I may have to go and have a look and see how different it is really :-)
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 21:08:35 »

Probably not that close really .. But I had wondered till I saw that I couldn't walk across it.. Then someone else thought that same on here..I may have to go and have a look and see how different it is really :-)

Not high enough, river (or canal) is not wide enough, the photo is a skew bridge Bourne End is not at such a skew it also has piers in the middle of the river

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 21:24:35 »

Bridge over the River Thames

Alec Guinness was in that one wasn't he?  Tongue Wink Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: