11:09 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
15:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 13:59:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[279] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[220] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[109] On reservations, fees and supplements - Interrail
[37] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[33] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[16] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Bristol Greyhound' bus service returns as Pier Buses  (Read 55082 times)
Scott

First S&A Expert

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2013, 11:39:38 »

In the interests of our readers I have just stood in a snow flurry to see if a bus on the X7 actually turns up.  It did, more-or-less on time.  It was an older single decker, but a more detailed description I cannot give as my knowledge is pretty weak after about 1980!  It was not a Bristol built vehicle that's for sure.  The livery is similar to the old Bristol Omnibus of green below the windows and cream above that with Bristol Greyhound scrolled on the front panel in cream.  You would have had a photo but I forgot to check my battery before rushing out.  Cry  Passengers: one elderly gentleman and possibly another talking to the driver, or he may have been helping navigate.  Not good for peak bus pass travel!

If Scott is over this way today he may see one of the four in the fleet.

My impression was that, apart from the modern destination display, this looked like something from a heritage bus rally.  I don't think First will be quaking.

In that case, unless it's a Dart then I might be in for a treat! Best take the camera with me Tongue

Click here for advice on bus travel or here for bus terminology.

N.B.: I am not (yet) an official employee of First Group.
Scott

First S&A Expert

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2013, 18:40:22 »

In that case, unless it's a Dart then I might be in for a treat! Best take the camera with me Tongue

...it was a Dart Undecided

But it was at least a low-floor Dart - one of the earliest low-floor examples as well. The green and cream colour scheme looked good, but if I'm honest a bit dated now, especially considering (a) the competition, i.e. First, and (b) the cream and red with a bit of black colour scheme on the other bus out today, which I travelled back from Clevedon on. Some of you may recognise "cream and red with a bit of black" as being the same as the double deck vehicle used on North Somerset Coaches' X54 to and from Nailsea, and you would be right to believe this as the X7's vehicles were sourced from the same company as the decker on the X54, Brighton & Hove (widely considered one of the best operators in England). All buses should soon be in the green and cream livery though.

I will provide photos and some journey info later tonight.

Click here for advice on bus travel or here for bus terminology.

N.B.: I am not (yet) an official employee of First Group.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2013, 22:05:21 »

Baker Dolphin started running the 66 ...the coastal hopper...in April 2012 with 4 very comfortable brand new buses in a special livery. They have the contract for 5 years and it is an a real 'join the dots service' that replaced 3 other separate council services. North Somerset in the shape of Elfan Ap Rees claims this service will save ^100,000 a year. Trouble is, they keeping adding bits of diversionary route on, so that it takes best part of 1 hr 25 min to cover the route from Congresbury to Nailsea and vice versa via Yatton ,Clevedon,Portishead and Portbury.

I am surprised they don't finish off the last bit between Congresbury and Nailsea town centre along the A370 and N&B station ..shouldnt take more than 10 mins to make it a truly circular service.

See also http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=7318.msg86713#msg86713  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2013, 20:04:53 »

Following on from Scott's first day report, it appears my cynicism about this service getting off the ground was unfounded.

Saw one the X7s at Temple Meads this morning and had a quick chat with the 2 members of staff aboard. ^5.50 for the return to Clevedon. I asked about the AvonRider multi-operator ticket. They knew what I was on about and said that whilst they aren't accepting it yet as they've not signed up to the scheme, they hope to do so in the near future.

Couple of pics:

I also picked up a timetable and fares leaflet that was available on board. I've scanned this and attached it to this post rather than reduce it in size and post. Apologies for the folds. I stuck it in my back pocket! You'll note there's a web address on the leaflet - bristolgreyhound.com - this hasn't gone live yet. Still a bit concerning that there's no way to contact the operator.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 22:58:40 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2013, 20:15:26 »

Further to the above and thanks to Admin bobm, the following link shows the self same bus in a previous life, also outside a railway station:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pics-by-mpd/5232653168/

Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2013, 21:07:35 »

50 minutes to get from Clevedon to Bristol!!!!
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2013, 22:27:16 »

That's slightly slower than First's 361 and a lot quicker than the 362/3 which takes 70 mins.  Bus travel had been slowed down around here over the past year.  Driving takes 30 mins including negotiating the city centre and finding a central car park.  Park and Ride (Long Ashton) ends up taking the same time as the bus.  Only take the bus to Yatton and the train to Bristol if you've packed sandwiches.  (I exaggerate of course - but it's only a useful route for onward travel.)

Thanks for posting BNM and Scott.  Apart from the timetable on the stops (which they don't especially observe it seems) there's still nothing in Clevedon to tell anyone who they are.  The fares are certainly competitive (i.e. cheaper than First), but since so much travel is by bus pass holders that makes little difference.  The long loop around the town clearly shown on the photos means a considerable detour on a return local trip. But that seems to be the way buses travel in this part of the world (compare Portishead's new routes)
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2013, 17:02:23 »

If First don't get you on the travel times ...still one hour to get from Portishead to Bristol...3 miles closer than Clevedon.... on the much vaunted and already despised X2 and X3 services...should be x-rated not x-press!.... for only travelling one way round the loop.... ....then they bite you on the bum with the fares.

This morning at 0845 I was asked ^2.80 single for a mile and half from Portishead Post Office to Redcliffe Bay. Shocked

It's a climb of 350 ft by the way and a good 35 minute walk. My spoken thoughts to the driver..no blame attached to him, obviously.... was 'Sod it, I'll freeze to death for 15 minutes till the bus pass kicks in!' My own private thoughts were a lot less polite than that!
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2013, 17:30:52 »

Be fair. It is almost 18 years old, you wouldn't want to push it too hard.

Now, please!
PortisDoubleDeck15

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2013, 21:32:36 »

Why have they put lots of double deckers on the 361 route?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2013, 21:46:47 »

A question I can't answer PortisDoubleDeck15. Others may know, but if not then you can always try contacting the operator.

In the meantime, welcome to the Coffee Shop forum.  Smiley

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2013, 08:09:54 »

My guess is, that as First have increased the frequency on the x2 x3 Portishead routes, they have had less single deckers available. So they have rooted around in the back of the garage for some spare buses. After all Llawrence Hill is well known as the elephants graveyard for Dennis DARTS that are used in the evening, holidays and at weekends.

I notice a common theme emerging in bus route patterns called the 'Tesco loop'. Anyone else spotted how the 125 visits Tesco twice on its way in and out at Clevedon , and now the x2 and x3 are doing the same in Portishead. How long before the same happens in Nailsea or Thornbury ?

bristolgreyhoundltd

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2013, 14:22:47 »

Hi there everyone just to let you no that we have leafleted clevedon and Bristol and if you want to go to are web site,as up and running... as we had a few problems setting it up for start date. www.bristolgreyhoundbus.co.uk

due to the cold weather we were only able to paint one and the second is nearly finished.
the ex Brighton and hove colour one is are spare bus and livery will be changed on that one very shortly.

we choose Brighton and hove low floor darts as they are very tidy and very well looked after ...

Bristol greyhound is no part of any other company, as comments raised.

Are aim is to run a reliable bus company with affordable fares, bringing back the green buses in Bristol.

please view are website..

bristolgreyhoundltd

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2013, 14:28:48 »

That's slightly slower than First's 361 and a lot quicker than the 362/3 which takes 70 mins.  Bus travel had been slowed down around here over the past year.  Driving takes 30 mins including negotiating the city centre and finding a central car park.  Park and Ride (Long Ashton) ends up taking the same time as the bus.  Only take the bus to Yatton and the train to Bristol if you've packed sandwiches.  (I exaggerate of course - but it's only a useful route for onward travel.)

Thanks for posting BNM and Scott.  Apart from the timetable on the stops (which they don't especially observe it seems) there's still nothing in Clevedon to tell anyone who they are.  The fares are certainly competitive (i.e. cheaper than First), but since so much travel is by bus pass holders that makes little difference.  The long loop around the town clearly shown on the photos means a considerable detour on a return local trip. But that seems to be the way buses travel in this part of the world (compare Portishead's new routes)

we have in Incorporated the 800 service what was axed in 2012.. as there was a lot of people were sad to see it go.

Edit to make quoting clear - Graham
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 15:16:07 by grahame » Logged
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2013, 14:36:59 »

Welcome, bristolgreyhoundltd, and thanks for the update.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: