Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
18:02 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
23:32 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
15:23 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
18:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
18:34 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
Delayed
07:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 09:07:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[119] Okehampton
[75] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[73] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[72] Is any one attending the TWSW(friday)?
[68] The One-Way Wizzo
[53] BBC Great Coastal Railway Journeys - A Correction

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Bristol Greyhound' bus service returns as Pier Buses  (Read 55002 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2013, 20:46:47 »

we have in Incorporated the 800 service what was axed in 2012.. as there was a lot of people were sad to see it go.

Welcome to the forum, Bristol Greyhound.   Now - I don't know Clevedon, but I suspect that a loop around the town could be rather clever.   I've been suggesting it for my home town, which also has an hourly bus from our nearest city (Bath) - covering some rapidly growing parts of the town before newcomers find the need to buy a second car.  I fear I may have planted a seed of an idea into some minds along the lines of "I wonder if we could persuade someone to give us a seeding subsidy for that" rather than along the lines of "what a great idea!".

Hopefully with your loop picking up from a previous service, it should ramp up nicely!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2013, 22:32:21 »

Always good to have a new, informed member contributing to the board, so I add my welcome.

As a Clevedon resident, my initial issue with the loop of the X7 is it incorporates in one hourly one-way service, several  previously interlinked smaller loops (service 800) that regularly started/returned to the town centre, thus meaning that now travelling from one end of the loop means quite a lengthy journey to/from the centre.  On the plus side, both the hospital and one of the GP surgeries is accessible from all parts of the loop and restores some journey opportunities.

In this day of struggling businesses, I wish only success on those committed to improving public transport.  If I may respectfully suggest, good communication with potential passengers is of the essence, and none of my neighbours (all bus pass users - probably not very savvy with the internet - stereotyping I know) were aware of the new service until I told them.  The local paper is avidly read by that age group and an item there might not come amiss if you can capitalise on the nostalgia value of your brand.

It will probably clear by now that I know as much about running a successful bus business as I do a train company i.e zilch.

I look forward to following your progress.
PortisDoubleDeck15

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2013, 09:41:50 »

A new hourly bus service Mon to Fri ( using the previous X7 service number) from Clevedon to Bristol Temple Meads is to be introduced from 24th March.
Also the 357/8/9 Bristol to Portishead services to be replaced by X2 and X3 with Service 23 on Sundays and Bank holidays from the same date. The numbering would seem to be in line with the upgrade of X1 services as both Weston and Portishead are now on the upgraded GBBN. Hopefully Portishead will get some 'almost new' buses to replace the disability unfriendly Darts that have been such a feature of recent months.

I went to my local North Somerset library to find imformation of the new Portishead buses, but I saw drawn pictures of the new "Express Yourself" buses and they turned out to be Wright Eclipses! But they will be very difficult to go up West Hill or round the Village Quarter and if they DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains) use Eclipses there will probably be too many congestions! So they might be luxury Darts instead.

Edited to fix quotes - bobm
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 09:52:43 by bobm » Logged
PortisDoubleDeck15

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2013, 09:46:08 »

Baker Dolphin started running the 66 ...the coastal hopper...in April 2012 with 4 very comfortable brand new buses in a special livery. They have the contract for 5 years and it is an a real 'join the dots service' that replaced 3 other separate council services. North Somerset in the shape of Elfan Ap Rees claims this service will save ^100,000 a year. Trouble is, they keeping adding bits of diversionary route on, so that it takes best part of 1 hr 25 min to cover the route from Congresbury to Nailsea and vice versa via Yatton ,Clevedon,Portishead and Portbury.

I am surprised they don't finish off the last bit between Congresbury and Nailsea town centre along the A370 and N&B station ..shouldnt take more than 10 mins to make it a truly circular service.

See also http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=7318.msg86713#msg86713  Roll Eyes
When you said that there were 4 comfortable buses, there are actually only 2! But sometimes they have to put a Solo on the 66 if one of the Streetlites is unavailable...
Chapman19

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2013, 08:17:43 »

I make a local newsreel called Clevedon News and I plan to make a short item about this new X7 to be published online next week at www.clevedonnews.org.uk
I hasten to add that I have no contact with Bristol Greyhound and the newsreel is made purely as a hobby.
One thing I haven^t yet been able to verify is ^ are the Diamond Travel (Bus Passes for the elderly) accepted on this service??
If they are accepting these cards, then I plan to film the journey from Clevedon to Bristol on the 10.42 - X7 today (11 April) from Six Ways, Clevedon.
I wonder if bristolgreyhoundltd would care to meet me at Temple Meads for a short interview?
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2013, 09:30:00 »

I took a ride last week and Seniors were riding with cards.  Alas, if you find more than a few pax on board, you'll be lucky: most of the buses I have seen have been empty or with one pax.  On my journey into Bristol (09:45) we had four and on the way out (11:52), two plus a local trip within Bristol by a family visiting from Wales.  I'm sure the publicity is needed.  I have found more awareness from the bus-using community in Clevedon that I know this week, so that's a start.

I'm not 'official' on this site, but welcome Chapman19.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 13:46:47 by trainer » Logged
Chapman19

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2013, 09:58:10 »

Thanks for the 'Seniors' info, Trainer. I have just filmed the cream and green X7 passing the bottom of my road, as you observed - it was empty as far as I could see through the viewfinder!

I will try my Bus Pass on the next one in an hour.
bristolgreyhoundltd

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2013, 16:08:27 »

I make a local newsreel called Clevedon News and I plan to make a short item about this new X7 to be published online next week at www.clevedonnews.org.uk
I hasten to add that I have no contact with Bristol Greyhound and the newsreel is made purely as a hobby.
One thing I haven^t yet been able to verify is ^ are the Diamond Travel (Bus Passes for the elderly) accepted on this service??
If they are accepting these cards, then I plan to film the journey from Clevedon to Bristol on the 10.42 - X7 today (11 April) from Six Ways, Clevedon.
I wonder if bristolgreyhoundltd would care to meet me at Temple Meads for a short interview?

Hi there i've sent a message via my work email Smiley
bristolgreyhoundltd

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2013, 16:13:18 »

I took a ride last week and Seniors were riding with cards.  Alas, if you find more than a few pax on board, you'll be lucky: most of the buses I have seen have been empty or with one pax.  On my journey into Bristol (09:45) we had four and on the way out (11:52), two plus a local trip within Bristol by a family visiting from Wales.  I'm sure the publicity is needed.  I have found more awareness from the bus-using community in Clevedon that I know this week, so that's a start.

As you Know your papers are out once a week or monthly life magazine... please look out for are ads, that will be in them Smiley
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2013, 19:46:28 »

Many thanks for your immediate offer of welcome to our new member, trainer - this is a friendly forum, and it's open to any existing member to welcome a newcomer!  Cheesy

Welcome indeed to Chapman19 - and as a fairly local resident myself, I'll certainly be looking out for that topical newsreel coverage on your website.  Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Chapman19

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2013, 10:29:36 »

Thanks for the welcome Chris.

The Clevedon News story about the new X7 bus is now online, it can be seen on our website at www.clevedonnews.org.uk

Thanks to the various drivers who were very helpful during the making of this film!!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2013, 21:47:33 »

Many thanks for that excellent quality footage, Chapman19!  Cheesy

But ... but ... that bus route "passing Nailsea and Wraxall" ...  Shocked Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2013, 10:16:10 »

From The Post (Bristol):

Operators delighted with response to new bus service linking Bristol and Clevedon

Two experienced bus drivers have set up their own service between Clevedon and Bristol. Shaun Craigie, 34, from Hanham and Gary Williams, 36, from Filton are convinced that there is a market for an express service between the North Somerset town and the city centre.

Shaun Craigie and Gary Williams have set up a bus service between Bristol and Clevedon. A return fare costs ^5.50. Picture: Jon Kent

They are joint directors of Bristol Greyhound Ltd, an independent company which runs two green-and-cream single-deckers on its X7 service.

This service operates between the Engineer's Arms opposite the entrance to Temple Meads station and the seafront in Clevedon.  The 40-minute journey takes passengers through the city centre, along Hotwell Road and through Failand and Tickenham to Clevedon.  Users in Clevedon can hail a bus like a taxi instead of having to wait at a designated stop.

A return fare is ^5.50 although there are discounts for buying weekly or monthly tickets.

Mr Craigie, who was employed by First and National Express, said: "I have worked for other people but I want to have a go at working for myself. I have always wanted to have my own bus service."

Mr Williams, who worked for First for 19 years, said: "We wanted to try something for ourselves. We believe that there is a demand for a service which is different and reliable. We are a local company with local people and local drivers."

They stressed that they have nothing to do with First, the biggest bus operator in the area.

The X7 service started on March 25 ^ and the directors said they are delighted with the initial response. Mr Williams said: "Lots of passengers have said how warm the buses are which they are not used to."

With the help of two part-time and two full-time drivers, Bristol Greyhound Ltd are running 11 journeys a day. These start at 7.10am from outside the Engineer's Arms. The last bus leaves Clevedon in the early evening.

The new company is based in premises in Croydon Street, Easton, where the former Bristol Omnibus works used to be.

The Greyhound name was chosen in order to resurrect a tradition which dates back to 1925.

Visit www.bristolgreyhoundbus.co.uk for more details about the service.

A minor point of correction - it's the Reckless Engineer, not the Engineer's Arms, in Temple Gate.  Roll Eyes

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2013, 13:03:13 »

Rather unusual for a journalist to get the name of a pub wrong!  Roll Eyes

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2013, 14:05:54 »

Not when they are reporting from 120 miles away BNM!  I think the BP» (Beyond Petroleum (Former name - British Petroleum) - home page) (Bristol Post, new nomenclature, I cede   Angry ) is produced in Wapping or somewhere up there, so I read the constant complaints from BP readers about non-Bristolian journalists, anyway.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: