Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
Additional 21:26 Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff Central
22:44 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
17/04/24 00:45 London Paddington to Reading
Short Run
16:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
23:24 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 22:28:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[320] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[117] Proposals for open access services on new routes
[63] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[61] BBC Great Coastal Railway Journeys - A Correction
[57] Okehampton
[45] First tour train of season

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Full devolution of Wales rail franchise to Welsh Government?  (Read 7583 times)
anthony215

View Profile Email
« on: March 06, 2013, 14:36:52 »

Just read this news article on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Wales webpage:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-21676260

Seems the DFT (Department for Transport) officals are in discussions with the welsh government about fully devolving the current wales & borders franchise to the WAG» (Welsh Assembly Government - about).

bobg

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 18:26:20 »

And what about 'borders' part of the franchise area?
A lot of my family live in Herefordshire and have no choice at all on the make-up of the Welsh Assembly and would definitely be affected by decisions made.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 21:57:02 »

I'm sure questions about the operation of cross-border trains will form a significant part of negotiations and planning. A fair part of the local rail traffic around Bristol starts life in Wales - like the Cardiff to Portsmouth, which provides several services between Filton Abbey Wood and Temple Meads, as only one example among many. The WAG» (Welsh Assembly Government - about) will be able to dictate service levels within Wales, something I think will be done with great enthusiasm. I'm sure WAG will want to see fast and frequent intercity services too, so it won't be likely to cause us Saeson much problem. So long, that is, as the infrastructure isn't forgotten.

Now, please!
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 22:02:59 »

I'm sure questions about the operation of cross-border trains will form a significant part of negotiations and planning. A fair part of the local rail traffic around Bristol starts life in Wales - like the Cardiff to Portsmouth, which provides several services between Filton Abbey Wood and Temple Meads, as only one example among many. The WAG» (Welsh Assembly Government - about) will be able to dictate service levels within Wales, something I think will be done with great enthusiasm. I'm sure WAG will want to see fast and frequent intercity services too, so it won't be likely to cause us Saeson much problem. So long, that is, as the infrastructure isn't forgotten.

But Cardiff Portsmouth is provided by FGW (First Great Western) not ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) so presumably won't be devolved.  Surely is is the ATW services like Measteg to Cheltenham or Cardiff to Hereford and Shrewsbury that are the issue.
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 22:11:10 »

Surely the devolution issue is who picks up the subsidy tab, not who is given the franchise?
John R

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 22:15:18 »

bobg's point is that passengers in the Borders only have ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company)))'s services - say from Hereford to Shrewsbury. It would seem to be an anomaly that control of such a service was completely devolved to the Welsh Assembly without the DaFT» (Department for Transport - critical sounding abbreviation I discourage - about) retaining some degree of control.

Another good example are the services from mid and north Wales via Shrewsbury to Birmingham International. The WAG» (Welsh Assembly Government - about) could decide to run services no further east than Shrewsbury and use the units elsewhere. Some safeguard would have to exist that committed ATW to provide that service or lose the units.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 23:32:36 »

Again, I don't think the WAG» (Welsh Assembly Government - about) would ever dream of pulling up the drawbridge. What they would want would be good connections to major areas of interest in England, with connections onwards to the rest of the UK (United Kingdom) (OK, Scotland) and Europe. At the same time, they would want free rein so far as local services are concerned. The franchise holder would also not be the major issue - that is something up for grabs again soon in any case. The interesting bit will be how franchises are drafted for the cross-border services. If UK government have the final say, WAG could complain the matter has not been devolved. The answer will probably be found with a good old fashioned wasteful duplication of the work by DafT and WafT, or whatever the Welsh equivalent is called.

Now, please!
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 20:40:35 »

I cannot see the services to Birmingham or Manchester being replaced as they are ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company)))'s most profitable routes and if they were taken from ATW I suspect subsidies will have to be increased.

If this does happen I would like to see the Weslh Governemnt bring back the Valley lines brand and livery  which I think would help attract more people to use the Cardiff Valley Lines network
John R

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 22:44:11 »

I'm not saying they would be. All I'm pointing out is that the legal agreements will still have to be watertight to avoid such a situation.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: