Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:44 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
17/04/24 00:45 London Paddington to Reading
Short Run
16:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
18:38 Barnstaple to Exmouth
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
23:24 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 19:48 Exeter St Davids to Exmouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 21:26 Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 19:39:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[303] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[71] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[69] BBC Great Coastal Railway Journeys - A Correction
[69] Proposals for open access services on new routes
[65] Okehampton
[51] First tour train of season

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Andrew Haines - First Group / First Great Western (merged topics)  (Read 49905 times)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2008, 09:15:44 »

Gosh thats quite a selection of articles from around the region that the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) have put together from the last few days. As far as 'West' local services are concerned, I really do believe that if FGW (First Great Western) are given a chance they can improve things IF they get these extra 150s from ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))). As for Thames services I don't know. Is overcrowding the issue or just relability?

Its when you see articles from all over their network with the depth of feeling thats out there that you begin to wonder how much longer they can go on with pressure on the government do something about this franchise. Andrew Haines must be given a chance with this franchise though. Its now been run by a completly new team which he has got together who have good track records with other train companies so must know what they are doing. Its not going to change overnight as it was in a real mess before he took over.

One final headline for you from the front page of the latest edition of RAIL magazine:

Last Chance for FGW? First orders action 'at any cost' to keep franchise.

Sounds good doesn't it? Does that mean they are going to keep the Adelantes and introduce a small fleet of locos and Mk2s (Mark 2 coach) on Cross Bristol services...I don't think so.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2008, 09:21:28 »

Gosh thats quite a selection of articles from around the region that the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) have put together from the last few days.

Yes, that site is an excellent resource (link below.)
http://www.rmtbristol.org.uk/

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 20:27:50 »

Well its been a year now since Andrew Haines took over from Alison Forster at the helm of FGW (First Great Western). What are your thoughts? Has he delivered and turned the company around? Finally, what has been the biggest thing you feel Andrew and his team have done that you have seen make a difference on your journey?

I'll start the ball rolling in saying yes I feel he has delivered by grabbing this company by the scruff of the neck and made it more customer focused which was badly lacking before he took over. The biggest thing thats happened over the past year for me was the re-introduction of three car 158s on the Cardiff-Portsmouth line.
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 20:36:11 »

Finally, what has been the biggest thing you feel Andrew and his team have done...

From my perspective, when I ask a question, I get a prompt answer from the person responsible for the matter concerned.

That didnt use to be the case.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 21:33:20 »

Finally, what has been the biggest thing you feel Andrew and his team have done...

From my perspective, when I ask a question, I get a prompt answer from the person responsible for the matter concerned.

That didnt use to be the case.

It's been a reasonably impressive start. Most Managers I have spoken to think that his immediate reports and management structure within the company have improved ten-fold. The PPM(resolve) figures have risen quite spectaculary, though I believe they would have risen anyway from the depths of despair of the Foster era - major operating changes such as the Franchise change and HST (High Speed Train) refresh always take a little time to bed in.

There are many challenges ahead for him though and I am sure he will continue to work through them as he has done with sensible ideas, the drive to carry them through, and with as much honesty as someone in his position can be.

I wonder how long it will be until he considers the 'job has been done' and moves back to his main role within FirstGroup? I hope somebody decent replaces him! One wonders what Alison thinks of it all?!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 21:59:12 »

A couple of points from me:

I've met Andrew Haines, and I like him: he's clearly enthusiastic and committed to turning FGW (First Great Western) around.  In terms of results so far, I think he's done very well.  My daily commute these days is usually clockwork, rather than being a nightmare more often than not, and for me personally, that's an impressive achievement by FGW.  Well done to Andrew Haines and his team at FGW for making such very noticeable and welcome improvements.  Obviously there's still more to do, but Andrew does have a 'vote of confidence' from me!

I never met Alison Forster, and I have no need to defend her.  However, things were different when she was in charge - the franchise was in its early days, the integration of Wessex Trains was causing logistical problems, and the timetable was still being cobbled together, for example.  It's perhaps not fair to criticise her for not achieving in the past what Andrew and his new team have been able to achieve now.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 22:30:29 by chris from nailsea » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2008, 22:25:57 »

I agree that, with the exception of the rather big wobble around the time of SDO (Selective Door Opening) introduction, there has been a big improvement in the last year in my daily commute. And changes elsewhere seem to indicate a much more positive approach to the franchise. So Andrew has my vote too. 
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2008, 22:51:26 »

It is true that the fortunes of FGW (First Great Western) have improved in the last year, but, there is a lot more slack in the time tabling and NR» (Network Rail - home page) have improved their performance as well, lifting the unofficial embargo on using some of the crossovers for timetabled line changes just in case they failed.

But there is still some more polished required, like the internal refurb of the 165/6 improvements to the heating and especially aircon in the 166's this class of train are showing their age internally windows that don't shut properly or open the floors, bulkheads etc are grubby and as for the toilets  Shocked

But out of 10 may be an 8 the first class off peak upgrade was a nice gesture

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
gaf71

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2008, 08:05:57 »

I think the largest improvement is the massive influx of extra staff, meaning that a train is now rarely cancelled due to a lack of train crew, which was a big problem 12-18 months ago.
Sprog

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2008, 08:10:25 »

We finished the period with a PPM(resolve) of 91.2%.

FGWs (First Great Western) target PPM is 86.2%.

Things are improving day-by-day.

Although this weeks PPM will be shot (through no fault of FGW!!) because of yesterday evenings rush-hour Severn Tunnel farce.
Boppy

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2008, 11:33:57 »

Hi,

As a customer who commutes between Reading and Paddington I feel that the service has definitely improved and over the last few months I've been very pleased.  I would also like to thank Andrew Haines for the additional Off-Peak First Class upgrade that I hear was his idea to instigate during August!

Boppy.
r james

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2008, 23:39:19 »

I seem to get delayed less now between Bristol and Swansea on the various journeys I make. WHich is good.  Seemed to come a time where  expected it to be late at Bristol.
ila700

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2008, 22:28:16 »

First post for me. I joined this site because I wanted to have a whinge. That was earlier this year. I travel between Reading and Paddington daily. I have not posted because having had many weeks of misery in 2007 I can not believe what has happened and all for the better. Andrew Haines definetly has my vote. I am very impressed. I was hoping to meet him at the last meet the manager meeting in Paddington to shake his hand rather than ring his neck. It was there I got talking to one of the network rail chaps and he was telling me about all the things that had been done on the line by the staff and how they had gone about their task with great help from the train operators. It was that last bit that stuck in my head. I remember only too well those flyers left on our seats saying it had nothing to do with FGW (First Great Western) which was kidding nobody. Now can Mr Haines do something about the extortionate price of our tickets?           
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2008, 22:31:58 »

Welcome to the forum, ila700

gpn01

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2008, 16:46:42 »

Much more reliable service compared to a year ago.  Improvement in information given to customers when there have been delays....yep definitely an improved "customer experience".  Well done to everybody at FGW (First Great Western).
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: