Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:35 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:36:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23
  Print  
Author Topic: East - West Rail update (Oxford to Bedford) - ongoing discussion  (Read 145857 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« on: December 14, 2007, 15:41:45 »

Lord Bassam said a plan had to include a "proper business case", and be funded as the Government had not studied the likely cost. He added: "Reopening regional or rural lines will not normally be the most effective way of delivering the capacity increases, which as the rail White Paper explained are our priority." (link below.)
http://www.oxfordmail.net/news/headlines/display.var.1904320.0.city_rail_link_to_cambridge.php

Last month , the East West Rail Consortium brought in consultants to draw up a case for reopening the western sections of the line from Bicester to Bletchley south of Milton Keynes , and the Claydon Junction-Aylesbury line.

The consortium has estimated the cost of reopening the Bicester-Bletchley section at up to ^135m.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 23:47:12 »

Shame the 2012 Rowing Lake will destroy part of the track bed between Bedford and Cambridge!

Who needs a rail link when you can have the London Olympics!
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 00:12:46 »

The consortium behind the plan says the scheme linking Oxford to Milton Keynes, Bedford and Aylesbury is on track to become operational by 2012. But the estimated cost, originally put at ^130m, has risen to ^190m, going to ^228m if a spur to Aylesbury is included (link below.)
http://www.oxfordmail.net/display.var.2100215.0.rail_link_work_may_start_in_2009.php

A new report commissioned by the East West Rail Consortium, made up of councils and development agencies, has backed the case for a new network of railway lines and train services. It means the long awaited project now goes to a detailed planning stage.

Adrian Saunders, Oxfordshire County Council's rail development officer, said:

Quote from: Adrian Saunders
"There is a lot of support coming from the Department for Transport and Network Rail to get this project moving. Construction work could start by the end of 2009."

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Graz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 10:57:14 »

It is costly but then again anything that can be done to relieve the congestion to and from London is definitely a good thing, especially with the upcoming Olympics. Not only this but it would be a much quicker route and could open up many other journey oppertunities.
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 11:01:30 »

One of the things that interests me about this is that its another example of how difficult it appears to be to keep the costs of such schemes down. See link below for another example.
http://www.savethetrain.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5686.msg9994#msg9994

John R

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 18:58:53 »

^228m is a bargain. Think of the costs of Reading, Birmingham New St, let alone Crossrail or Thameslink. And how much is a couple of miles of M74 extension in Glasgow going to cost?  ^400m+ I seem to recall.

And the road alternatives are awful, particularly in the rush hour. My wife knows, as she has to drive to MK (Milton Keynes) every couple of weeks, and the journey from Nailsea takes around 3 hours. I suspect the main problem would be overcrowding. Bristol-Swindon-Oxford-MK would be the ideal service, which could also provide a bit of additional peak capacity between Bristol and Swindon.   
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 20:55:17 »

^228m is a bargain. Think of the costs of Reading, Birmingham New St, let alone Crossrail or Thameslink. And how much is a couple of miles of M74 extension in Glasgow going to cost?  ^400m+ I seem to recall.

And the road alternatives are awful, particularly in the rush hour. My wife knows, as she has to drive to MK (Milton Keynes) every couple of weeks, and the journey from Nailsea takes around 3 hours. I suspect the main problem would be overcrowding. Bristol-Swindon-Oxford-MK would be the ideal service, which could also provide a bit of additional peak capacity between Bristol and Swindon.   

Dont get me wrong, I would love to see it happen. I also agree that Bristol-Swindon-Oxford-MK would be a good service to have. Southampton-Salisbury-Westbury-Swindon-Oxford-MK wouldnt be a bad idea either.....

The Oxford Mail article also gives an indication of potential journey times :

Quote from: Oxford Mail
The "congestion busting" link holds out the promise of 12-minute train journeys between Oxford and Bicester and 35 minutes between Oxford and Milton Keynes.

John R

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 21:04:13 »

I've had an interest in this scheme since living on a house built on the old trackbed in Sandy, Beds 15 years ago. Yes it was developed enough then for a leaflet to have been produced.   At the time the cost of diverting a bit further north would not have been great, but as has already been mentioned the Willington Rowing Lake appears to have killed off the scheme east of Bedford for good.
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 13:02:49 »

From the Save The Train Forum :

Nearly a year on and East-West Rail have published their more in-depth report which takes the project to final stages of GRIP (Guide to Railway Investment Projects) (Guide for Railway Investment Projects) Stage 3.

http://www.eastwestrail.org.uk/reports/documents/GRIP3FinalReport.pdf

The project has moved on considerably and is now based on a 100mph link between Oxford and Bletchley and a 90mph link between Aylesbury and Calvert to provide a 'regional express' service at 2tph and 1tph respectively.

The following extracts indicate that the start of any actual construction work is over two years away, and that constrution would take over three years.

6.38 Currently at a stage comparable to GRIP Stage 3, it is anticipated that the remaining
Design and Mobilisation Phase of the EWR Scheme will take further 26 months. This
will include completion of GRIP 4 and 5 (single option development and detailed
design), and makes an allowance for the procurement negotiations required before a
Contractor is appointed to undertake construction phase of the project. It is during this
phase that necessary possessions and blockades will need to be booked with Network
Rail.

6.39 The construction period alone is estimated to be a period of 43 months. Further
refinement of the programme will be required as more detailed design is undertaken
and it is believe the construction period could be reduced to closer to 30 months.
Driven by the need to lay the track, it has been assumed that most civil engineering
works, signalling, crossings and drainage etc can be progressed concurrently with the
track laying.

I have watched this project for many years, and although we're still a long way from the first train running, this document seems well-reasoned, acheiveable, and just goes to show the work (and money) that has to be spent on getting a relatively modest scheme such as this off the ground.

With Ruth Kelly under increasing pressure to increase rail capacity, or at least be seen to be doing so, this is just the sort of scheme that will get her department lots of prositive coverage, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 21:58:01 »

When FGW (First Great Western) get HST2s from the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.), Chiltern could take the HSTs (High Speed Train) and run an hourly service from Marylebone to Milton Keynes/Bedford!

Of course, the first class would be taken out. Everyone is second class (i.e. equal) with Chiltern.
stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 16:39:37 »

Chiltern's standard class is sheer luxury compared to FGW (First Great Western)'s refurbed mk 3s
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 20:15:20 »

I see "East / West" is live again here.  Of course THIS is where it would / would have been good for it to end up:

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 22:02:20 »

Quite possibly, Nick!

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwich_railway_station

Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 20:11:08 »

Yes - an hourly/ two hourly Reading or Didcot to Norwich would be good (taking pressure off London).
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2008, 11:59:45 »

The East-West Rail Consortium has released a document that further clarifies the time-scales for the Western Section from Oxford/Aylesbury-Milton Keynes/Bedford. I had wondered what effect Chiltern Railways' announcement regarding an Oxford-Marylebone service via Bicester would have on the scheme, but it appears that it won't be causing too much of a delay as additional GRIP (Guide to Railway Investment Projects) 3 stage work will now take place whilst early GRIP 4 work is in progress. GRIP 4 work is now scheduled to be completed by the end of next year.

To quote from the document...

The Key planned Programme Dates are:-
^ Award contract for next phase - By end November 2008
^ Surveys to Commence - January 2009
^ Phase 1 Complete (GRIP 3/4)- By end April 2009
^ Design Specification Fixed - By end May 2009
^ Commencement of Phase 2 (GRIP 4) - By end June 2009
^ GRIP 4 Review and Commission complete - By end December 2009

The full document can be downloaded at http://www.eastwestrail.org.uk/_inc/documents/EWRCInformationBulletin_Oct2008w.pdf
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 12:01:30 by IndustryInsider » Logged

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23
  Print  

Jump to: