Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 19:55 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 19:40 Redhill to Reading
19:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 20:10:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Proposal for additional platforms at Cheltenham  (Read 79276 times)
grumpysocks

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 21:37:10 »

Just an update for all interested about this scheme; we are hoping to hear tomorrow (Wednesday 19th June) whether the scheme is shortlisted for funding...
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 22:55:13 »

I think this proposal has much merit. The XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) services can often be delayed with units shunting to and from Alston Sidings. This way there will be more time to turn GW (Great Western) services and prep them at Platform also enabling passengers to be loaded earlier. It is a shame that the bridges built either side of Gloucester over theM5 were only built to enable twin track rather than quadruple. Where are you Four Track Now? Lol

Sorry I'm late. I hereby add my support to this excellent scheme.

Now, please!
grumpysocks

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 16:57:34 »

See:

http://www.gltb.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=114104

The station scheme is 4th in the GLTB priority list, which is quite an achievement.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2013, 18:02:18 »

See:

The station scheme is 4th in the GLTB priority list, which is quite an achievement.

That link is dead at the moment, though I can see elsewhere that this scheme comes fourth alphabetically...

I wonder if anyone ever gets confused between GLTB and LGBT - which is a whole nother thing.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grumpysocks

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2013, 12:37:24 »

The previous link to the Gloucestershire Local Transport Body's Website is now reinstated:

The decisions and scheme description are outlined in the associated pages.

I would encourage any of the forum users to write to the LTB if they are inclined to support the scheme. Unfortunately any positive comments made here make no impact - a direct note may do.

Text from the link includes:

Prioritised list of schemes

Prioritised Schemes - Recommended Priority List

Promoters of schemes considered to be eligible for GLTB funding completed a prioritisation proforma which provided evidence of impact against five cases; see Technical guidance  for details.

The GLTB officers and consultants scored each scheme and provided an opportunity for promoters to provide any additional comments / information. A total of 14 schemes have been subject to this prioritisation process.

The maximum score for a scheme is 26. The prioritised list of scores, produced and recommended by the GLTB Technical Officer, is shown in Annexes B and C: GLTB Meeting 17 July 2012

The recommended scores are based on a technical assessment of schemes, on which comments are invited. Written representation regarding any scheme, and based on one or more of the five strategic cases assessed, can be submitted to the board in hard copy or via email here.

http://www.gltb.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=113226&contactid=113230&type=email&contact=yes

The deadline for any written comments is midday Wednesday 10 July 2013.

The report to the forthcoming GLTB meeting on 17 July has summarised the number of schemes that could be prioritised under three funding scenarios.  At this stage, the recommended scores and investment programme has not been agreed by GLTB members, who will meet on 17 July.  Neither has the Department for Transport (DfT» (Department for Transport - about)) confirmed how much money the GLTB will have to invest.  Therefore at this stage, there is no guarantee of funding for any scheme.

Next steps

The actual GLTB funding allocation will be confirmed in due course. If the priority list is approved by GLTB members on 17 July, the next steps will be as follows:
^Submission of Priority List to DfT - 31 July 2013.
^Scope of business case and economic appraisal work for each scheme to be developed and agreed - Autumn 2013.
^Project programmes for each scheme to be developed and agreed - by December 2013.
^Firm capped contributions for each scheme to be developed and agreed - by early 2014.
^Next GLTB meeting to approve the programme and scheme costs - by March 2014.

Promoters of the highest priority schemes, as decided by GLTB members, will then be expected to progress their schemes in line with an agreed programme.  There will be no guarantee of any funding for scheme construction until each promoter has obtained all the necessary statutory consents and obtained a price to construct the scheme that is in line with an agreed GLTB financial contribution.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 12:54:16 by grumpysocks » Logged
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2013, 17:27:44 »

I wonder if anyone ever gets confused between GLTB and LGBT - which is a whole nother thing.

All the time, which is why I eat so few bacon sandwiches. Oh, the pain, the wasted hours...

Now, please!
grumpysocks

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2013, 19:54:20 »

There has now been a story in the Gloucestershire Echo:

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/Cheltenham-Spa-train-station-bid-running-millions/story-19463804-detail/story.html#axzz2Y0gWE44H
New hope for ^20m Cheltenham Spa train station revamp
Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Gloucestershire Echo

By JACK MAIDMENT

A ^20 million bid to transform Cheltenham Spa railway station has been earmarked as one of the chosen few transport schemes most likely to receive much-sought after Government cash.

Fourteen different bids from across Gloucestershire have now been ranked in order of priority and the ambitious rail plan has made it to fourth on the list.

That means the bid to build two new bay platforms and give the station a major revamp should receive money even in a worst-case-scenario funding hand out from the Department for Transport (DfT» (Department for Transport - about)).

The Gloucestershire Local Transport Board (GLTB) which has ranked the projects on their worth to the county is yet to find out exactly how much money it will receive.

It knows it will receive between ^10 million and ^20 million but should the amount turn out to be at the smaller end of the scale only the top four schemes are likely to benefit.

However, should the hand out veer toward the top of the scale, six, or possibly even more bids could be successful.

The bids ranked above the railway station plan include schemes to create a new bus lane on the A40 in Benhall, make improvements to the Over Roundabout north west of Gloucester and to create bus prioritisation in both directions on the A40 in Cheltenham between Westal Green and the Arle Court roundabout.

If members of the GLTB sign off on the priority list when they meet later this month, the bid from Cheltenham Development Task Force for the railway station should receive ^3.3 million.

It would then have to securehttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png the remaining ^16 million needed to make the project a reality.

Jeremy Williamson, managing director of the task force, said the station expansion would lead to "better connectivity" and "much enhanced passenger facilities".

He said: "This plan is a response to the inadequate facilities at the station. There are now 1.8 million passengers passing through Cheltenham every year but we have a 1960s, post-Beeching report, rail network which is simply no longer fit for purpose."

If all goes to plan work on the station could be completed by March 2019.

If the priority list is approved by members of the GLTB it will be submitted to DfT on July 31.
grumpysocks

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2013, 11:27:43 »

Yesterday, 17th July 2013, the board of the Gloucestershire Transport Body voted to endorse the shortlisted schemes that would receive funding.

The Cheltenham Spa Station scheme has been funded for the initial ^3.5M design, and early works phase.

See:

http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/21st-century-vision-Cheltenham-Spa-railway/story-19534488-detail/story.html

includes:

By JACK MAIDMENT

AMBITIOUS plans for the ^20million redevelopment of Cheltenham Spa Station have taken a major step forward.

Transport chiefs yesterday decided to award more than ^3million of funding to the improvement plan, which would see a massive revamp of the station.

Two new platforms would provide a terminus for trains to and from London Paddington and Wales, freeing up the existing platforms to reduce frustrating delays.

It is hoped the award of ^3.3million by the county's Local Transport Board will help the project ^ the work of the Cheltenham Development Task Force ^ become a reality.

And as well as the new platforms, the station would also see passenger facilities updated to meet 21st century demands with new shops, new cycle options and a purpose-built taxi rank and bus interchange.

Parking at the transport hub would also be expanded with the possible creation of a main car park on stilts with enough spaces for 400 cars.

There would also be a new short stay car park constructed off Gloucester Road.

The money has been provided by the Department for Transport, which is also funding three other projects in the county.

Michael Ratcliffe, chief executive of Cheltenham Chamber of Commerce, said: "This is a major step forward and this would certainly be of major benefit both to Cheltenham and to Gloucestershire as a whole.

"We believe it is possible. The task force and the chamber have done a lot of work to get to where we are, but there is still a long way to go.

"It is an extremely exciting project and this is just the beginning of a long journey."

The task force will now have the challenge of finding the rest of the money to get the project off the ground.

The cash will hopefully come from investment from the likes of Network Rail and other rail franchisees.

Steve Jordan, leader of Cheltenham Borough Council, added: "This is great for Cheltenham and for the whole area."

Three other projects were also chosen by the Local Transport Board to receive funding.

Plans for a new bus lane on the A40 in Benhall, the creation of a bus corridor to the west of Cheltenham and a scheme to improve the Over Roundabout and Highnam Lodge near Gloucester were all given cash.

Ends.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2013, 11:41:45 »

Excellent news; looks really exciting!

Let's hope that while they're looking down the back of the sofa for the money, NR» (Network Rail - home page) can work out how to build rooves that don't leak and escalators that don't spit shrapnel!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grumpysocks

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2013, 09:24:17 »

video of scheme available on:

www.northtosouthrailways.co.uk

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2013, 09:39:18 »

Looks superb!

Switching now to Grumpy Old Squirrel mode:

1. N2SR really need to talk to their web developers about video streaming!
2. I see no sign of passive provision for extending the GWSR - more like active obstruction. Shame to lose the possibility of connecting directly to Cheltenham Racecourse and Broadway; I know there are already obstacles but is it necessary to add more?
Edit: 3. Presumably the electrification here is a two-rail system - like Hornby Dublo? I see no wires.

grumpysocks

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2013, 10:37:12 »

Thanks RS,

Website development still in progress. Been focussing on creating the station instead ;-)

You are correct that this scheme prevents a direct heavy rail connection to the racecourse at Cheltenham Spa. However, there are other options that we are suggesting to make future provision for the very important Heavy Rail connection to CNM» (Cheltenham Spa - next trains) Racecource and Honeybourne, without digging up the middle of Cheltenham.

The scheme makes passive provision for future overhead electrification - with appropriate vertical clearances etc, but as the current electrification strategy does not include Swindon/Gloucester etc, it is not shown at this stage.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2013, 14:09:33 »

Very good video simulation that - better than our official route learning ones!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2013, 14:31:22 »

Thanks RS,

Website development still in progress. Been focussing on creating the station instead ;-)

You are correct that this scheme prevents a direct heavy rail connection to the racecourse at Cheltenham Spa. However, there are other options that we are suggesting to make future provision for the very important Heavy Rail connection to CNM» (Cheltenham Spa - next trains) Racecource and Honeybourne, without digging up the middle of Cheltenham.

The scheme makes passive provision for future overhead electrification - with appropriate vertical clearances etc, but as the current electrification strategy does not include Swindon/Gloucester etc, it is not shown at this stage.

Oh dear, I've been rude as well as grumpy. I apologise.

Don't follow the comment about 'digging up the middle of Cheltenham' though - I admit I haven't walked the route from Cheltenham Spa to Cheltenham Racecourse, but I thought the only obstructions were the missing bridge at St George's Rd, and the building at the station, which is coming down. What have I missed?

I was also a bit surprised about only 'passive provision' for OHLE - but that was my mistake; I was forgetting that the wires won't be going that far yet.

Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2013, 15:04:25 »

grumpysocks - Could you possibly list the other options you are suggesting to make future provision for the connection to the Racecource and Honeybourne, and also list which specific parts of the centre of Cheltenham would need to be dug up if the original route were utilised instead?

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: