19/04/24 06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
19/04/24 06:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
19/04/24 07:13 Great Malvern to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 02:41:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW on Chiltern line  (Read 22326 times)
johoare

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2013, 21:41:06 »

I've struggled to find somewhere to put this and here seems good enough

Whilst driving between Wycombe and Princes Risborough about 11am today I saw a FGW (First Great Western) HST (High Speed Train)  train.. Now I know there is the odd one timetabled but, looking at next Friday's timetable for example, it's hard (without knowing exactly where it is stopping along the way or where it is from), to know what it was..Any ideas?
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 21:50:53 »

They won't be in next Friday's timetable (or any normal timetable) as they are only diverted this weekend (from Fri - Mon inclusive) and next Sunday.  The best way of finding the passing times at stations in the area you mention is using the advanced mode of one of the sites such as http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk or http://www.opentraintimes.com

Paul
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 22:03:25 by paul7755 » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 22:32:27 »

With the blockade at Reading over the Easter Weekend, and again on Sunday 7th April, all FGW (First Great Western) HST (High Speed Train) services to/from South Wales and Bristol, plus one or two others to/from Weston-super Mare, Taunton and the West, are diverted via Oxford, Banbury, then through High Wycombe, West Ruislip, Greenford and Park Royal, rejoining the GWML (Great Western Main Line) at Old Oak Common.

Services to/from the West of England are diverted via Salisbury, Basingstoke, Wimbledon and into/out of London Waterloo.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 22:36:59 »

Aah thanks.. I did wonder if it was due to the Reading blockade.. But there is so much information out there, and I don't know how it's easy to change from one trains companies' lines to another.. I just didn't know.. I knew FGW (First Great Western) trains were going into Waterloo, but didn't know they were heading into Paddington via a didferent route too..

Still a good unexpected sight  Grin
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 23:30:12 »

Much of the line from London to Bicester was built as a joint line between The Great Western Railway (into Paddington) and the Great Central Railway (Into Marylebone and which went on up to Rugby, Nottingham and Sheffield). The Great Western Route comes into Paddington through Greenford and Joins the Bristol Line near Old Oak Common.  It was a main route from London to Birmingham (Snow Hill).

When the Euston to Birmingham line was electrified in the 1960's the London to Birmingham express trains ran from Paddington via that route. After electrification was complete the line was run down with only local trains going to Marylebone. I believe the link to Paddington is still used by a nominal Chiltern Service each day to avoid closure. 
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 23:55:50 »

This topic was originally posted in our 'frequent posters' area, where only our established members can view it. However, as the original question has been answered, and the answers themselves produced some interesting additional information, I'm now moving the topic here - with the approval of all those 'established members' who have contributed so far.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 11:28:55 »

To add to ellendune summary of the history of the line, the part of the line where you saw the HST (High Speed Train) is in fact considerably older than teh joint line mentioned being part of the Broad Gauge Maidenhead Bourne End High Wycombe Princes Risborough Aylesbury. Which of coiurse now sadly misses the link from Bourne End to Wycombe which didn't close to the early seventies and wasn't in teh Beeching Plan.

The joint line connecting at both Wycombe and Risborough and using the old alignment.

As a matter of the level of rationalisation that there has been on the line a count from my GWR (Great Western Railway) Altlas shows 11 potential passing loops mostly at stations between Old Oak Common and Anyho Junction 1947. Now there's about 3 and not all are 4 track, but at least it's been re-doubled otherwise there would have been no room for diverted HSTs.
signalandtelegraph
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 19:19:56 »

I believe the link to Paddington is still used by a nominal Chiltern Service each day to avoid closure. 

Its to keep drivers route knowledge up to scratch should they need to divert to Paddington when Marylebone is closed

Bring back BR (British Rail(ways))
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 21:30:16 »

I believe the link to Paddington is still used by a nominal Chiltern Service each day to avoid closure. 

Its to keep drivers route knowledge up to scratch should they need to divert to Paddington when Marylebone is closed

I tried to find this service but could not.  Anyone know what it is?  Is there a service both ways?
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 21:45:16 »

I tried to find this service but could not.  Anyone know what it is?  Is there a service both ways?

11.02 South Ruislip to London Paddington (arriving at 11.32).. and looks like it heads back again at 11.36
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 21:46:53 »

...and then out again at 11:36 to West Ruislip, calling at South Ruislip on the way.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 21:47:56 »

...and then out again at 11:36 to West Ruislip, calling at South Ruislip on the way.

Sorry Bobm... Just added that to my original reply as you were writing yours... Just in case anyone thinks it's you that can't read  Grin
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 22:04:34 »

Just a case of great minds thinking alike.... Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 22:05:36 »

Changed a bit since last May. Used to be Gerrard's Cross to Paddington and return, with no intermediate stops. Might have to do this one again now that the start/end is in Ruislip. Can now be done on Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) and far easier to get back into London on the Underground.

On arrival at West Ruislip the unit runs ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) to Marylebone and then goes on to form part of the regular Chiltern service to/from Gerrard's Cross.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 23:54:49 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 22:28:02 »

Thanks everyone.  I know now why i could not find it.  I was putting GW (Great Western) only into the search criteria.   Embarrassed   Grin 
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: