Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
07:48 London Paddington to Swansea
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Southampton Central to Bristol Temple Meads
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:00:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[182] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[70] Return of the BRUTE?
[56] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[44] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[24] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wiltshire Day Rover - new multi-operator bus ticket  (Read 10422 times)
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2012, 10:01:43 »

Perhaps the word "unique" is inappropriate. Wiltshire also has a multi-operator ticket:
http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/parkingtransportandstreets/publictransport/busservices/dayroverticket.htm

Unfortunately Wiltshire Council has done an "ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here)" and the quoted leaflet isn't online. There is an outdated leaflet on the Thamesdown site at:
http://www.thamesdown-transport.co.uk/uploaded_files/1431/images/dayrover.pdf.
Assuming the the validity hasn't changed, one could theoretically travel from Bath to Southampton with this ticket.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 11:10:18 »

Swindon has a DayRider ticket which is valid on both Thamesdown and Stagecoach services.  Interestingly if you buy the ticket on a Stagecoach Bus it is ^3.20 - 30p cheaper than if you buy it on a Thamesdown service!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 11:36:51 »

Perhaps the word "unique" is inappropriate. Wiltshire also has a multi-operator ticket:
http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/parkingtransportandstreets/publictransport/busservices/dayroverticket.htm

Unfortunately Wiltshire Council has done an "ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here)" and the quoted leaflet isn't online. There is an outdated leaflet on the Thamesdown site at:
http://www.thamesdown-transport.co.uk/uploaded_files/1431/images/dayrover.pdf.
Assuming the the validity hasn't changed, one could theoretically travel from Bath to Southampton with this ticket.

Details of the Wiltshire ticket:  

I've previously been advised (by First, phone enquiry) that on First buses, it's valid to the outskirts of Bath on the 272, and you need to get an extra ticket into the centre.  I will follow up further on this - I'm checking another source to confirm

On the Faresaver x72, I'm told this morning that the ticket is valid all the way to the end of the route in the City Centre, but isn't valid for intermediate journeys that don't touch Wiltshire - for example Batheaston into Bath.  If you want to go into Bath on this ticket, breaking your journey at Batheaston, you can't.  Get the bus back out from Batheaston into Wiltshire, then get off and go all the way back in, and you're OK  Wink

This ticket could be a really useful way for Melksham residents who want the freedom to use either company's bus after a day in Bath to buy their ticket, except for the First "outskirts only" thing.  The Faresaver restriction isn't a problem, even though it has some quirky side effects!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 12:23:28 »

I've previously been advised (by First, phone enquiry) that on First buses, it's valid to the outskirts of Bath on the 272, and you need to get an extra ticket into the centre.  I will follow up further on this - I'm checking another source to confirm

Confirmed:

Dear Mr Ellis,

Thank you for your E-Mail. The Wiltshire Day Rover is not valid for travel in and out of Bath, the Wiltshire boundary is Shockerwick Lane on the 271/2/3 route.

If you need anything further please do not hesitate to contact us by replying to this e-mail and quoting the reference:120508

Regards,
First Customer Services

So ... The Wiltshire Day Rover is valid on route X72 into Bath (Faresaver) but on the broadly parallel 272 (First) to can only go as far as Shockerwick Lane - that's a request stop halfway between Box and Batheaston.

That appears to be at varience with the leaflet linked to earlier in this thread, but which we were warned may be out of date, which states for First: All Wiltshire Services, (including to/from Bath and Frome). Also valid on service 158 between Shaftesbury, Gillingham, Mere and Wincanton only.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
westerleigh

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 15:03:57 »

You can definitely do this, I know because I've done it!!  Smiley
(X72 to Devizes, 2 to Salisbury, X7 to Southampton)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 21:41:20 »

Made use of the Wiltshire Day Rover for the first time today and it is cracking good value at ^7.50

Bought it on a Thamesdown Bus without fuss and the driver put it in a sealed wallet which meant I was less likely to lose it along with all my other bits and pieces.

Having got my ticket I then got a 52 service which goes to Cirencester, via Royal Wootton Bassett, Purton and Minety.  I learned that from the council website - but none of the bus stops near me where it passes even make mention of it!  Stopped off at Minety than back to Purton on the vehicle's return working from Cirencester.  Then took a Stagecoach bus into the outskirts of Swindon before doubling back to Wootton Bassett on another Stagecoach service.  After a pub lunch (well a pint and crisps) I had the choice of going to Malmesbury or Calne but opted for the latter as the timings were better.  After a brief stop in Calne it was off to Chippenham and then back to Swindon - and all that for ^7.50!

Each bus driver accepted the ticket without question, so the training is in place, and I will contact the council about the lack of service 52 details in the town.  That said the service was quite well used going out from Swindon in mid morning.  Obviously a number of regulars as they knew the driver by name.  One managed to do quite a bit of her knitting on her way to Minety!

A good day out and didn't break the bank!
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 12:46:47 »

Regarding the lack of information you mentioned BobM, I am not surprised.  I had a look at Ad Rains coaches and there was no mention of the service whatsoever.   Huh
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 13:42:53 »

The only reference I could find was on the council website

http://www.swindonbus.info/tts/052_adr.htm
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 23:37:14 »

The Wiltshire Day Rover leaflet is now available on the Wiltshire website at:
http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/public-transport-wiltshire-day-rover.pdf

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 10:21:18 »

Does anyone know if there is an updated version of the leaflet linked to above?  That is dated May 2012 and there have been several changes of operator since then.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 11:00:00 »

To answer my own question - there is a new version.  It is at the printers at the moment.

Here is a copy - http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/day-rover-leaflet.pdf
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2022, 16:53:28 »

Swindon Bus have announced on their website that the Wiltshire Day rider is to increase to £10 from £8.50 from 20th March.  Still showing at the old price on the Salisbury Reds and Wiltshire Council websites.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2022, 12:44:37 »

Swindon Bus website has been updated again and puts the new price of the Wiltshire Day Rover as £9.50 rather than £10.00.
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2022, 17:10:12 »

That's better. The range of Wiltshire Day Rover fares will be:
Adults = £9.50
Child  =  £6.30
Senior Citizen (over 60)  =  £6.30
Family (2 adults + 2 children OR  1 adult + 3 children)  =  £25.00
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: