I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 00:35 29 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningShort Run
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 00:54:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Goring and Streatley Station - facilities and improvements (merged topic)  (Read 101882 times)
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2015, 19:44:54 »

I hope there haven't been any road layout changes during that 6 year wait

Don't think there's any road layout changes, but the railway line has been 4-tracked in the intervening years...  Wink

Really I cannot remember it being anything other than 4 track over the last 50 years.  Unless it was for a short period in the late 70's and Early 80's when I lived up North.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2015, 21:46:30 »

Don't think there's any road layout changes, but the railway line has been 4-tracked in the intervening years...  Wink

Really I cannot remember it being anything other than 4 track over the last 50 years.  Unless it was for a short period in the late 70's and Early 80's when I lived up North.

I think II was making a little joke - the 'orientation plaque', or 'map' as I would call it, shows two tracks when there are, in faquet, four.  Wink

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2015, 22:37:22 »

I think II was making a little joke - the 'orientation plaque', or 'map' as I would call it, shows two tracks when there are, in faquet, four.  Wink

Silly me!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2015, 20:22:55 »

Further details of the installation, from Henley on Thames News:

At last, visitor map installed at station

A plaque with a map of Goring and the surrounding area has been installed at the village station for use by visitors.

Network Rail commissioned the plaque in 2007 after refurbishing the road bridge over the railway at High Street.

It was a goodwill gesture as the project took three months and caused significant disruption, prompting complaints from Boris Johnson, who was then Henley^s MP (Member of Parliament).

Goring Parish Council wanted to place the plaque at the main station entrance and obtained planning permission in 2009.

However, Network Rail said it had to check whether it was possible as it could interfere with underground cables, so the council put the board into storage and there were no further discussions.

Last year, First Great Western offered to finally install the plaque it as part of a refurbishment of the station^s toilets, which is now under way. The council and Network Rail both agreed.

The board shows tourists the way to Goring village centre, the River Thames, Streatley and major footpaths and bridleways.

First Great Western may also produce a leaflet promoting Goring as a tourist destination.

John Boler, who was parish clerk in 2007, said: ^This has finally drawn a line under something that started when I was the clerk. It shows the extent of the goodwill that exists between the people of the village and the railway. I know it will prove very helpful to visitors as I am often stopped and asked directions in the summer.^

Well done, John Boler, and many thanks for following up on this topic.  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2015, 12:15:37 »

I see the old footbridge was lifted out at the weekend, all bar the steps down to the island platform, which are still in use as the temporary footbridge connects on to them.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2015, 14:49:45 »

A lift at a what is for most part, an unmanned station.... am I the only one who thinks it won't last more than a few days before being vandalised and put 'Out Of Order'??
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2015, 15:25:44 »

I suspect it will be like Princes Risborough.  When the station is manned, the lifts are switched on.  At other times you must use the stairs
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2015, 17:01:42 »

Which isn't much good at Goring - unless they're putting on a late shift in addition to the current early shift?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2015, 20:20:55 »

In the afternoon the lifts would work just as well as they do now!  Wink

[Risk Assessment] I suppose it will depend on the level of potential abuse unsupervised, and a guess at how long it will take to release someone from a failed lift by a third-party contractor - the Fire Brigade are not that keen on this kind of work these days and would certainly charge heavily for their services[/Risk Assessment]
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2015, 20:35:17 »

The locals in the close that butts up to the station were complaining about it as well. Since the trees were "pruned" they are commenting the noise is considerably worse, and with the new bridge location, its right over their gardens/properties. They are particularly put out by the huge lift shafts - and one of their main avenues for complaint is the fact they will not run out of hours (think its manned 0600-1200 Mon-Fri), and with rumors of Goring becoming un-manned eventually, are questioning the logic.

Whilst I agree its kinda crazy to spend all this money when they will potentially not be running 50% of the time, was there not a discussion on here some time back about them working out of hours with CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) monitoring off-site for problems and vandalism ?

Given the recent spat of graffiti and the "free" travel between Tilehurst, Pangbourne, Goring and Cholsey, it will be interesting to see how long things remain nice and shiny when they have finished Sad
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2015, 22:33:08 »

I have it on good authority that FGW (First Great Western)/NR» (Network Rail - home page) are looking at a system of remote monitoring that would allow the lifts to operate 24/7.

NR is responsible for maintenance of lifts on stations. It has a contract with the lift maintenance contractor that currently specifies a maximum response time of two hours for an engineer to attend on site following an entrapment. Most entrapments are dealt with quickly by the station staff, and the passengers are released well before the engineer arrives. But I guess this might mean that, for an unstaffed station, it could take up to two hours to release anyone that becomes trapped.

The FGW on call manager for stations is not going to be too happy if he/she is also called out to lift entrapments!!!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2015, 02:00:43 »

From the Henley Standard:

Cash boost for group^s road safety scheme

A campaign to widen a narrow pavement near Goring station has received a ^5,000 pledge from the parish council.

The authority has agreed to pay the grant towards the ^100,000 project next year as long as it receives the rest of the funding it needs.

The Mobility Issues Group for Goring and Streatley wants to widen a stretch of walkway in Wallingford Road, which is less than 1m wide, to more than 1.25m.

It says this is enough for two people with wheelchairs, mobility scooters, prams or pushchairs to pass without stepping into the road.

The pavement, which lies between the Reading Road and High Street junctions, would be extended backwards on to land owned by Network Rail, which has given provisional permission.

The area slopes downwards so the extension would have to be propped up on a parapet. Oxfordshire County Council, the highways authority, may be willing to take responsibility for maintenance.

John Boler, the mobility group^s chairman, told a parish council meeting last week: ^The pledge we^re asking from you is a sprat to catch a mackerel ^ the mackerel in this case being a larger grant from First Great Western. We hope they will provide between ^80,000 and ^92,000 depending on the final cost of the project. We have already received ^5,000 in private pledges and a considerable amount of pro bono work from Arup, which has put forward a workable solution to widening the pavement on such a steep embankment.

^Pedestrians will be able to walk side by side and passengers with bulky luggage will also be able to walk to the station safely. We need to raise ^1 in every ^5 towards this locally and all we are asking from you is 50p out of every ^5.^

Mr Boler said the scheme was the ^final piece in a bigger picture^ of improvements at the station, where First Great Western recently installed disabled access toilets.

Network Rail is installing a new footbridge as part of its electrification scheme that includes three passenger lifts which will open next year. Mr Boler said there were more than 60,000 pedestrian movements on Wallingford Road every year so many people would benefit. He first asked the council for a ^5,000 pledge last October but was turned down as the proposal was at too early a stage.

But at last Monday^s meeting, the chairman Kevin Bulmer said: ^I must say that getting a long^standing problem sorted out for ^5,000 is really good value for money. John and the mobility group deserve all credit for the effort they^ve put into this.^

The council agreed to provide a letter endorsing the group^s funding bid to First Great Western, which has a ^2.2 million fund for works ^not necessarily on railway infrastructure^.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2016, 10:26:39 »

From NRs» (Network Rail - home page) recent e-newsletter -

Construction of the new Access For All footbridge at Goring and Streatley Station is nearing completion. We are currently working with SSE(resolve) to provide a power supply for the lifts. The below are indicative dates for the opening.
^27 May - Open footbridge subject to Train Operation Company agreement and sign-off
^29 May - 5 June - Removal of temporary footbridge
^Mid-June - Open lifts subject to power supply

The new footbridge will provide passengers and the local community with a step free route across the railway.
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2016, 12:47:02 »

The new footbridge will provide passengers and the local community with a step free route across the railway.
[/quote]

Just don't run/walk too quickly down the stairs on platforms 2/3, as you'll likely run straight into the brick wall of the waiting room at the end! I can't believe how close that is, given the acres of platform space, hehehe.
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2016, 16:53:49 »

The new footbridge opened this afternoon. The lifts have power to them, but are out of use at the moment.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: