Foundation, Beatties of London (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:18 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 22:54:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[260] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[200] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[54] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[48] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[23] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[22] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ten rescued as wave strands bus in Newgale, Pembrokeshire  (Read 6839 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: February 02, 2014, 20:15:44 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Ten rescued as wave strands bus in Newgale, Pembrokeshire

A major rescue operation was launched after the bus got stuck

Ten people have been rescued after a bus was hit by a large wave in Newgale during high winds and high tides along the Welsh coast.

Pembrokeshire council say they were in the process of closing the road at the time.

Meanwhile, Ceredigion council is assessing the damage to Aberystwyth promenade after waves hit the seafront for the second time this year.

Eighteen flood warning and 12 alerts are in place in Wales.

At Newgale, Milford Haven Coastguard was contacted just after 19:00 GMT on Saturday with reports that the bus was stuck on the front, after it was hit by a large wave and became surrounded by flood water.

Coastguard, police, fire and ambulance crews were sent to the scene and an RAF (Royal Air Force) helicopter from Chivenor in Devon was called, but was stood down once the passengers were helped to safety. There were no reported injuries.

The council said they had been working to clear the rubble on the road but the A487 will remain closed until further notice. The bus was the responsibility of the owner to move, a spokesman said.

He added that the council was in the process of closing the road when the bus was hit by the wave.

The bus became engulfed with flood water at Newgale in Pembrokeshire

Workers clearing the road by the bus stranded in Newgale

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 20:30:05 »

I can't work out if the sea pushed the windows in or if they were broken by people escaping.
Cynthia

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 22:41:15 »

Crumbs, that must have been scary for the passengers.  Looking at the second photograph, you can see debris on the floor of the bus; makes me think the wave probably picked up a load of the stones on the beach, perhaps then, the windows were broken by the wave? 

Trying to break ones addiction to car travel is much harder than giving up ciggies!
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 09:10:47 »

Oh dear, looks nasty.

On the lighter side, the pictures do highlight the problem with route-branding. Newgale isn't on the 412 route (Cardigan - Newport - Fishguard - Haverfordwest) which the bus is branded for, but is no longer one of the regular vehicles on the 412.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Alan Pettitt

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 09:45:00 »

Still on the lighter side - it doesn't look to me that it's going to be in regular use on any route for a while.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 09:48:12 »

I can't work out if the sea pushed the windows in or if they were broken by people escaping.

I would suspect that stones thrown by the waves broke the windows.
Pssengers might have broken the odd window to escape, but all/nearly all of them seems a bit unlikely.
I doubt that waves alone could break modern toughened glass, but stones thrown up by the waves probably could.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 10:33:51 »

I would suspect that stones thrown by the waves broke the windows.
Pssengers might have broken the odd window to escape, but all/nearly all of them seems a bit unlikely.
I doubt that waves alone could break modern toughened glass, but stones thrown up by the waves probably could.

I agree (and it looks nasty - glad no one was hurt)
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 17:14:14 »

The power of water is tremendous on its own, but these pictures show that one of the reasons not to stand too near the sea front watching heavy seas is that the water is full of debris and stones. 

welshman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 20:58:30 »

There has been some misunderstanding as to what occurred.  The bus was heading from St David's to Haverfordwest, which means it was travelling southwards towards the camera in the first photograph.  The seaward side is to the left of that picture and the road is protected from the beach/sea by a shingle bank. 

The second photo from the offside rear of the bus is looking landwards.  The bus is not in the sea.

What appears to have happened is that the bus was hit on the offside by the sea/shingle and the front was pushed eastwards ie into the floodwater on the landward side, which is normally just boggy.

If you look at Google Earth or Google Maps you'll get the drift.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: