Delayed
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 23, 2024, 19:30:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[239] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[124] You see all sorts on the bus.
[77] "Mayflower"
[44] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line
[36] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[34] Where have I been?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fires destroy buses at Western Greyhound fleet depots in Cornwall  (Read 18303 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 22:25:44 »

Erhem: http://the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) is not a well-formed uri.

Maybe one of the mods could sort it for you  Tongue

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 22:30:04 »

Or I could. Try this link, Red Squirrel

Now, please!
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2013, 00:59:25 »

chris has been on the tipple stuff again Tongue Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2013, 22:38:09 »

My apologies for trying to post that link rather hastily from a laptop swaying about somewhat on an unstable seat - issue now resolved, with my thanks to Red Squirrel and Four Track, Now! - and a clip round the ear to thetrout for being cheeky.  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 08:18:35 »

BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Radio Cornwall reporting this morning of another fire in Western Greyhound outstation at Liskeard.
Three vehicles destroyed, others OK, but fire investigators not permitting the ok vehicles out of the yard until their investigations are complete.
Arson being muted, but early days.
More disruption for passengers.

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 11:20:21 »

More now on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Website

Eleven Western Greyhound buses at the Liskeard depot cannot leave
Three buses have been destroyed in a second suspected arson attack at a Western Greyhound depot in Cornwall.

People living nearby raised the alarm after seeing the flames at the depot in Trevecca, Liskeard at about 06:30 GMT.

In May, 35 buses were written off after a severe fire in another suspected arson attack at the firm's depot in Summercourt.

Greyhound manager Mark Howarth said: "It is not as bad as the last one, but one wonders why they are doing this."

Police and Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service have both confirmed that they are treating the fire at the Liskeard depot as arson.

Buses stuck

The fire has led to disruption to services because the depot and nearby roads have been closed while investigations continue.

Eleven Western Greyhound buses, including school buses, and two Plymouth City Bus vehicles parked at the Liskeard depot cannot leave.

Buses at the depot served three routes, the 593 between Newquay and Plymouth, the 572 between Polperro and Plymouth and the 573 between Polperro and Callington.

Mr Howarth said said: "We are waiting for the all clear to get the buses out.

"We are trying to run the full 593 service with buses from Summercourt, but the 572 and 573 and related school buses won't operate until further notice."

Plymouth City Bus said that services 120 and 121 were affected, but replacement buses were on their way.

The firm tweeted: "Apologies for this disruption which is beyond our control."

Two men arrested on suspicion of arson after last year's fire at Summercourt were released on police bail.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2014, 20:16:34 »

Three Mercedes Varios destroyed from the video footage on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) News

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2014, 21:26:23 »

With thanks to forum members who have updated this topic, I've now amended its heading to cover this latest development.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2014, 10:30:28 »

Thanks Chris. 
Seemed a shame to start a new thread when there was already one underway-even tho' the one underway was a different date & location!
 Shocked

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2014, 18:11:10 »

What desperately sad news.  Shocking that someone thinks this is a good thing to do.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: