Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:21 Newbury to Bedwyn
13:48 Bedwyn to Newbury
14:12 Newbury to Bedwyn
14:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 12:47:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[109] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[109] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[47] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[43] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[42] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[38] Return of the BRUTE?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Fires destroy buses at Western Greyhound fleet depots in Cornwall  (Read 18268 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2013, 09:17:37 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

A fire at a bus depot in Cornwall has destroyed at least 37 buses - a third of bus firm Western Greyhound's fleet.

The fire in Summercourt, near Newquay, broke out at about 01:00 BST.

The blaze is expected to cause "significant disruption" to bus services in mid-Cornwall, including some school buses.

Its cause, which is not yet known, is being jointly investigated by Devon and Cornwall Police and Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service.

Police said the A3058 Newquay to St Austell Road would remain closed for most of the day.

Mark Howarth, Western Greyhound's managing director, told BBC Radio Cornwall: "A lot of hard work has gone into Western Greyhound and it's awful to see it going up in smoke.

"I could just see flames leaping in the air and when I arrived all the buses at the bottom of the yard were completely ablaze.

"The services will be significantly disrupted but we will run as much of them as we can."

Western Greyhound has been operating buses in Cornwall and Devon since 1998.

It describes itself as a "locally-based, family-run business."

Another news item from the West Briton including photos and videos:
http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Massive-Western-Greyhound-depot-Summercourt-near/story-18970433-detail/story.html#axzz2T9tSs1al

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 09:24:11 »

Sad to hear the devastation. Sadly nearly every other fire in such circumstances turn out to be Arson.

I think Western Greyhound were fairly lucky they store many of their buses out at outstations all round Cornwall which probably has saved them from losing more vehicles.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Pb_devon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 12:16:20 »

what is slightly worrying, is that WG have a heritage fleet of 10, including 3 Routemasters.  I wonder if they have been lost?
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 12:24:36 »

From what I have heard is that 4 out of 6 Mercedes-Benz Citaro's have been destroyed along with a number of double deckers.

Sadly there was one heritage vehicle on site which it seems could be one of the victims. Hopefully we will learn what caused this blaze and if it was arson the little buggers are caught and maybe their familys given a nice bill.

Anyway it could have been much worse as thank heavens Western Greyhound have other outstations so they havent lost their entire fleet of vehicles and credit where it is due other operators seem to have come to Western Greyhounds aid by loaning them vehicles and covering services
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 12:50:08 »

I've been into Truro today (by train, cheaper than parking). I observed WK04OKE, WK10AZU, WK11APY operating the Park and Ride into the City Centre, WK10AZU being the only P+R livering bus observed. WK04OKE is a Citaro, but not a P+R liveried model. WK11APY is an Optare Solo.
Also spotted 578PTA operating a 594 service,assuming this isnt a normal Mid/West Cornwall bus as it had a hand written destination in the windscreen with the blind displaying western greyhounds website.

2 hours ago WG posted the following on their facebook page.

The situation at present is that all routes are running fairly close to normal with the following exceptions: 524, 525 and 594 reduced service, and 522, 547, 550, 551, 556, 557, 558, 559, 585, 586, 596 nothing operating (although it is possible we may be able to get some journeys operating during the day). Many thanks to everyone for your messages of support and sympathy in this tragic loss.

Considering their loss I find it remarkable they have managed to get so many services running.

LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 19:30:06 »

Looks like they're sending out their routemaster tomorrow in order to get a service on one route.

Due to a major fire at our depot in Summercourt, there is currently major disruption across our network.

The following services ARE NOT RUNNING:
522, 547, 550, 551, 556, 557, 558, 559, 585, 586, 596

The following services are running with REDUCED SERVICE:
524, 525

Unless stated, all other services are running as normal.

It is hoped to run the same level of service on Tuesday 15th May 2013. We are pleased to say that we will be running a partial service on the 586 using our red London Routemaster. The reduced timetable for this service is available on the website now - please go to the 586 page

Looks like they will be full of enthusiasts enjoying that moment, and moaning commuters that they are getting an old bus!

anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 21:07:38 »

From one of the bus groups I am a member of, a provisional list of the vehicles destroyed in this fire sadly including one heritage vehicle although the rest are parked elsewhere:

1x Bristol VR (269, JWV 269W)
 5x Mercedes Citaro (4 of 6 Truro P&R (Park and Ride) + 207)
 2x ADL Enviro400 (401 & 402 from Service 510)
 4x Dennis Trident (440, 442, 444, 445)
 8x Volvo Olympian (450, 452, 453, 467, 473, 475, 498, 499)
 1x Dennis Javelin (trainer DSU107)

Seems like the heritage fleet a being pressed into service to provide some cover which is better than no service at all.

First Devon and cornwall have said they will be accepting some Western Greyhound tickets on parts of routes which are operated by services from both operators.

Other operators have offered buses to Western Greyhound if they require them.
Pb_devon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 21:35:03 »

thanks anthony215........ could have been worse
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 23:50:05 »

Very nice to see that First D&C have offered to accept WG tickets on parallel routes.

Also nice to see that replacement buses from other operators have been offered.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 01:09:33 »

When I lived in Cornwall up until 2006, I had the pleasure of using the Western Greyhound Services. So I am rather saddened to hear this.

Western Greyhound do seem to operate a lifeline for some villages which really are out in the sticks. I can certainly name a few Villages which have a regular bus service that would put Melksham' Rail service to shame! So for them to lose such a large amount of buses doesn't really need a comment on how it will affect a normally very well run service. Not to mention the hundreds of people who RELY on those services.

I remember my schooling days when I was one of them. I used the 593 (Newquay - Plymouth) Service quite a lot and for such a long distance by road and without the luxuries of the Goss Moor and Dobwalls Bypasses we have now, even in the holidays it remained a very punctual service. (Sometimes too punctual). I believe they changed the timetables after I left Cornwall and the service became very poor in terms of punctuality for a while in the Liskeard area. But has since improved gradually as they changed the routes around.

The real "luck" here (and I use that term very, very loosely) is that as they operate such a wide network stretching from Plymouth down towards Penzance. They have a number of satellite posts for their buses to sleep as others have mentioned.

When I used to get the last evening 593 Service from Dobwalls into Bodmin every Tuesday which normally ran empty if I wasn't on it. Depending on who was driving, the Bus would detour slightly through the trading estate and run via Bodmin General Station, so I could alight at Mount Folly (Bodmin Town Centre basically. The bus then used to drive onto Morrisons, without having to turn around in the Mount Folly Junction, where it would spend the evening in the Supermarket car park!

It was also a fairly frequent sight to see parked up Mercedes Varios in Morrisons Car Park in Liskeard also. So they do have places to sleep. A Driver said to me that they rotate the fleet around so each bus gets back to the main depot in order for it to be serviced and safety checked.

I also remember a conversation with a timetable planner after I rasied concerns that they might axe that last evening 593 to Bodmin. Being 15 - 16 at the time and one senior trout working  away all week, It was inconvenient enough to be collected from Bodmin by the remaining senior trout, but without that bus out there, the evening would have been a total none starter. My concerns were completely unfounded, as it was a busy service from Plymouth back into Liskeard which emptied out on the way, and the bus would have to be parked back in Bodmin anyway for service the following morning. So the company ran it as an advertised service even though they were never likely to receive any need for it... Apart from ^1.10 every Tuesday Wink Cheesy Smiley

So I hope they manage to get things sorted for them. Really cannot blame them for the problems under the circumstances. Good common sense to use a Heritage on some of the routes. If it works then why not? Although they may have created an inadvertent spotter club Grin

Also good to see other operators helping out in such cases... Maybe XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) should consider taking a leaf out of the book! Tongue Wink Cheesy

If the cause turns out to be Arson, IMHO (in my humble opinion) it would make this matter so much worse Sad So I really am hoping it isn't! Undecided Lips sealed

Grin Grin Grin Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 11:08:11 »

An update from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Western Greyhound bus depot fire 'may have been arson'

A fire at a bus depot in Cornwall which destroyed 35 vehicles may have been started deliberately, police have said.

The blaze in Summercourt, near Newquay, broke out at about 01:00 BST on Monday.

A third of bus company Western Greyhound's fleet was burnt out causing widespread disruption to transport services in Cornwall.

Devon and Cornwall Police want anyone who may have seen "suspicious activity" in the area of the depot to contact them.

The burnt-out buses included two brand new vehicles which cost more than ^100,000 each, and four of Truro's six park-and-ride buses.

There was no damage to the depot's offices or workshops and there were no reports of any injuries.

Western Greyhound has been operating buses in Devon and Cornwall since 1998.

It describes itself as a "locally based, family-run business".

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 01:22:00 »

According to their facebook page Western Greyhound have received 2 buses from Stagecoach as well as 1 Mercedes-benz vario from Anglian Bus, Beccles and 3 Optare Solo's from Blackpool Transport.

Certainly it nice to see other operators from across the uk stepping up to help Western Greyhound
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 01:40:25 »

Further news from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Western Greyhound bus services resume after depot fire

A bus firm which lost a third of its fleet in a fire has said most routes are now running "close to normal".

Western Greyhound lost 35 buses in the blaze at Summercourt, on Monday, which caused widespread disruption to public transport.

It said it had ordered replacement buses from across the country to return to a full service as soon as possible.

Arsonists are suspected of starting the fire at the depot which was tackled by more than 60 firefighters.

On the company's website it said "all routes are running fairly close to normal".

However, a number of exceptions have been listed.

It added it was using "every single bus available" to them and if there were problems there could be "short-term cancellations as no replacement buses are currently available as they usually are".

No-one was injured in the blaze and Devon and Cornwall Police wants anyone who may have seen "suspicious activity" in the area of the depot to contact them.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 14:16:04 »

A full list of destroyed and hired vehicles
Mercedes/Plaxton Beavers; 564, 566, 572
 P&R (Park and Ride) Citaros: 201, 202, 204, 205
 Green Citaro: 207
 Solos: 816, 818, 819, 910, 912, 931, 951, 952, 958, 982, 988
 E400 d/decks: 401, 402
 Trident d/decks: 440, 442, 444, 445
 Olympian d/decks; 450, 452, 453, 467, 473, 475, 498, 499
 Heritage VR 259
 Driver training bus; DSU 107
 Solo 931 was badly burned and assessors are working on whether it is repairable.
 We currently have replacements in the form of:
 Merc/Plaxton Beavers; 500, 522, 552 back on the road
 2 x Merc/Plaxon Beavers from Carmel, Northlew
 3 Anglian Merc/Plaxton Beavers
 1 x Stagecaoch Dart, 1 x Stagecoach Solo
 3 x Blackpool Transport Solos
 3 Norfolk Green Solos
 1 Optare Solo SR(resolve) demonstrator

Their Facebook states they are currently working to get several of their older withdrawn Beavers back on the road.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 22:02:59 »

Another update, from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Two arrested over Western Greyhound Summercourt bus depot fire

Two men from Bristol have been arrested by police investigating a fire at a bus depot in Cornwall.

Thirty-five vehicles operated by Western Greyhound were destroyed or damaged during the blaze at the depot in Summercourt, near Newquay, in May.

Devon and Cornwall Police said the men, aged 43 and 18, were arrested in Bristol on Monday on suspicion of arson and interviewed in Launceston. They were released on bail until December.

More than 60 firefighters tackled the blaze on 13 May.

Western Greyhound said about a third of its fleet was affected. Among the vehicles destroyed were two new ^100,000 coaches and four of Truro's six park-and-ride buses.

Edit note: Link to BBC News story fixed. Chris.  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 22:31:29 by chris from nailsea » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: