Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:15 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:57 Exmouth to Paignton
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 15:21:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Tilehurst station footbridge  (Read 60191 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2013, 12:33:42 »

A little earlier that I thought, but Tilehurst's new footbridge is now open (with some snagging works to complete), and the demolition of the old footbridge has now started.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2013, 13:09:05 »

I think it opened on Thursday or Friday last week.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2013, 17:58:03 »

and the demolition of the old footbridge has now started.

We try to avoid the word demolition .........

They are deconstructed

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2013, 12:02:33 »

They are deconstructed

After a thorough check for bats, newts and fairies I hope?   Cheesy

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2013, 18:47:42 »

They are deconstructed

After a thorough check for bats, newts and fairies I hope?   Cheesy

Yep and 'elf n safety checks on the paperwork to make sure there are no sharp edges ................ to get paper cuts

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
lbraine

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2014, 21:47:22 »

For 14 months now the customers of Tilehurst station have had to out up with the mess and disruption caused by the creation of a new Footbridge, and the removal of the old one. All part of the Western Electrification work.

The already overcrowded car park has has more than 20 spaces removed to accommodate contractors portacabins and equipment. This means on most mornings if your not in the car park by 8am - forget it.

But today I learnt (from a FGWer) that the newly commissioned footbridge (open for about 2 months) is in fact 2' 4" too low !!!

Angry

For the time being the contractors (who are only responsible for the erection) have left the site while a plan is formed to resolve. There are customer information screens inoperative and wires running visible all over the place held in place by temporary plastic ties.

A fairly decent station turned into a builders yard. Such a shame. And clearly more disruption to come.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2014, 22:13:33 »

In a very belated (for which I must apologise) response to a helpful suggestion from member 'paul7755', this topic has now been moved and merged here, in the interests of clarity and continuity.

Sorry, Paul.

CfN  Embarrassed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
john_boler

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2014, 23:48:38 »

Access improvement works begin at Goring and Streatley station

Work has begun at Goring and Streatley station that will culminate in the construction of a permanent new footbridge with passenger lifts at all three platforms plus an accessible (disabled) toilet and various other improvements designed to help mobility impaired passengers.
The target date for completion of the main works is June 2015, following which (according to First Great Western) the line between Tilehurst and Didcot will be ^energised^ for the testing and the training purposes. Evidently, this will be the first section of the Great Western electrified network to go live.
   Contractors have already set up a construction compound in the station car park: this will reduce the number of parking spaces available until works are completed. However, one of the options still being considered by First Great Western is an extension of the car park into the old coal yard after electrification.
   The first stage of the works, well under way, is clearing shrubs and undergrowth from platform 1, the west side of the line. This is to make way for realignment of the footpath along the platform between Station Road and Holmlea Road. It will enable the platform to be re-surfaced and its level raised so that six coach trains can stop at platform 1 safely when the relief lines are out of use ^frequently^ between December this year and April 2015. FGW (First Great Western) says there will be no interruption of train services.
   Next, a temporary footbridge will be erected opposite Station Road and Reading Road, although access on the eastern side will continue to be via the booking office entrance. Stairs on the western side will be immediately facing Station Road. The temporary bridge is due to be open from January 2015. The existing footbridge is due to be demolished in February; the new, permanent footbridge installed by the end of April and the temporary bridge removed by the end of June. 
   The permanent footbridge will be near the Reading end of the platforms, with the bridge deck between platforms 1 and 2 skewed towards Station Road. To make space for the staircase on the island platform the disused building at the Reading end will be demolished. Also, in place of the existing staircase on platform 4 (the booking office side) the platform canopy will be restored to match the existing style.
   With passenger lifts now certain to be installed, the main obstacle to disabled access to trains at Goring and Streatley is the narrow and overgrown pavement alongside the railway line in Wallingford Road. This path was upgraded and new crash barriers installed at the High Street end in 2006. A similar upgrade was carried out opposite Reading Road in 2012 but the 60m stretch in between has remained more or less as it was when the path was declared a public highway by the GWR (Great Western Railway) nearly 90 years ago. The barrier and fence are actually supported on sections of railway track salvaged from Brunel^s broad gauge line, lifted in 1892! The Mobility Issues Group for Goring and Streatley (Miggs) is leading a community partnership scheme to plan an upgrade of the remaining pavement and secure funding for it.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2014, 00:20:36 »

Is it possible john_boler to provide a source for that information you've posted?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2014, 16:35:33 »

Looks like a paraphrased version of the full page article in the latest Goring Gap News. I was meaning to ask them if I could republish it here, but forgot all about it, so not much point now Smiley

Edit: Ah ha ... I just spotted at the end of the article in the Goring Gap News.... John Boler, Chairman MIGGS
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 16:43:17 by lordgoata » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2014, 17:15:44 »

I just spotted at the end of the article in the Goring Gap News.... John Boler, Chairman MIGGS

In which case, it's excellent to have the article on the forum, and as it's John's work and copyright.  Thank you for adding it, John ...

Like you, lordgoata and bignosemac, I was concerned that this article / text might have been posted here from another site in contravention of copyright, and that the original author would require credit at the very least.  That happens so often that I'm afraid I tend to check unaccredited long journalist-style postings ... in this case it appears I was worrying needlessly and the posting is 110% OK  Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
john_boler

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2014, 17:29:28 »

No need for concern about copyright. Ultimate sources of information: Network Rail and FGW (First Great Western).
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2019, 16:22:10 »

For 14 months now the customers of Tilehurst station have had to out up with the mess and disruption caused by the creation of a new Footbridge, and the removal of the old one. All part of the Western Electrification work.

The already overcrowded car park has has more than 20 spaces removed to accommodate contractors portacabins and equipment. This means on most mornings if your not in the car park by 8am - forget it.

But today I learnt (from a FGWer) that the newly commissioned footbridge (open for about 2 months) is in fact 2' 4" too low !!!

Angry

For the time being the contractors (who are only responsible for the erection) have left the site while a plan is formed to resolve. There are customer information screens inoperative and wires running visible all over the place held in place by temporary plastic ties.

A fairly decent station turned into a builders yard. Such a shame. And clearly more disruption to come.

Was it really the case that the footbridge was 30 inches too low? I visit the station two or three times a week and was never aware of this calamity, nor of any resolution of it. And I frequently chatted to Ernie, the very popular,  ticket man, now retired in Thailand, who expressed his own views on aspects of the station modifications.

I did hear a rumour from another passenger that the bridge was a couple of centimetres too low, though I did wonder whether this discrepancy related to a couple of threaded studs in the concrete footings that were not quite in the right position.

There were problems with the ducting designed to carry electric cables behind the fence on platform 4. Soon after it had been installed, it had to be replaced with ducting of larger size.

Marlburian
janes

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2019, 14:44:34 »

The main problem at Tilehurst is the absence of lifts! I remember signing a petition for them about a year or so ago wich apparently was rejected on "safety" grounds. The safety of, for example, a lone woman at a quiet time of day trying to transport a pram or pushchair plus child(ren) up and down long flights of stairs obviously doesn't count for anything....

It just makes me so mad when far less busy stations such as Taplow and Iver have lifts, but a really busy (at least in the peaks) station like Tilehurst cannot have them.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2019, 14:53:05 »

The quickest way of getting them currently would be via an application to GWR (Great Western Railway)'s CCIF (Customer and Communities Improvement Fund) fund....as Access for All funding is currently in abeyance
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: