Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:12 Newbury to Bedwyn
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:46 Bristol Temple Meads to Warminster
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
13:50 London Paddington to Great Malvern
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
19:04 London Paddington to Penzance
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 14:28:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[135] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[85] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Travel for free on the m2 metrobus - Bristol - 4,5,6 April 202...
[36] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[34] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[33] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Franchise payments - how payments to DfT by FGW may effect your fare  (Read 14886 times)
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2008, 13:32:35 »

We should get more stock when 150/1s in the west mids are displaced by 172s.
I believe the right pieces of paper have already been signed for us to have the 150/1's.

I find it interesting that there is so much interest about getting class 150 units.
Built in early 1980s with a 20 year life, should have gone for scrap by now!
Mind you a 150 beats a 142 hands down.
However most francihses are getting NICE NEW STOCK, where's our NEW trains.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2008, 14:08:18 »

We should get more stock when 150/1s in the west mids are displaced by 172s.
I believe the right pieces of paper have already been signed for us to have the 150/1's.

I find it interesting that there is so much interest about getting class 150 units.
Thats a good idea, scrap perfectly good trains JUST BECAUSE THEY'RE (Religious Education) OLD! You don't half talk sh1t smokey.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008, 14:11:06 »

Perhaps he works for the Department for Tarmac (DfT» (Department for Transport - about))?

Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2008, 14:13:29 »

Perhaps he works for the Department for Tarmac (DfT» (Department for Transport - about))?

Doubt it :

I wish somebody in the DfT would realise just how much damage they can do by changing Train Times.

There used to be an Early (06.30) Leicester-Peterborough service back in the 70's that loaded to about 15 from Leicester, 25 from Melton, 50 from Oakham and about 90 from Stamford.

However one year BR (British Rail(ways)) in it's Wisdom withdrew the early train leaving the first service at 07.40.

However at the Next Time Table change it (the 06.30) was put back, on the first day the reinstated train ran May 76 or 77 how many passengers travel to Peterborough, 100?, sorry less, 75 then, again less, give up?

ONE! that's how many (ME), My very own Train Leicester-Peterborough, was packed from Peterborough on towards Harwich, ran in times of Train that started at Peterborough, ittook almost 2 years for passenger levels to climb back to the earllier train levels.
Okay changing Train Times around a Few Minutes doesn't have much effect, but Bu**** up services like this And Melksham and also NEWQUAY, it's FATAL or  WORSE PLANNED. Evil DfT?

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2008, 14:13:55 »

something like that.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2008, 14:49:22 »

Its not that we're getting exciting about getting more 'hand me down' stock whilst another franchise gets new stock, its just we are grateful for any additional rolling stock thats coming our way at the moment!

I think I'm right in saying that 150s are popular with some of the traincrew who post on this site. I don't mind them but prefer a 158  Smiley

New rolling stock doesn't always mean good rolling stock. Take XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) for example: Penzance-Edinburgh on an HST (High Speed Train) or Voyager? Know which one I'd choose anyday!

FGW (First Great Western), GNER (Great North Eastern Railways) (NatEx EC) have shown just what you can do with 30 year rolling stock with the refurb of their HST fleets. They are good for another 10-15 years now with new interiors and engines in the power cars. Some passengers have even thought that they were brand new trains! Then you have Arriva XC bringing HSTs back to the XC network. I do hope they highlight in their timetables which services are being run by HSTs then I might start using XC services again rather than going via London  Smiley

Whoops, sorry going way off topic here so will make a comment about the original post.

We had all better get used to high fare increases every year from now on as someone has to pay the DFT (Department for Transport) their premium. Like I've said before think of it as a tax for deciding to use the train!
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2008, 14:51:11 »

My comment about 150's is that they are already life expired!

FGW (First Great Western) is I believe the ONLY franchise where Brand new stock isn't part of the deal!

Why is that then Vacman.

Me thinks you like old stock.

Bring back the old DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit)'s

SUIT YOU SIR
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2008, 15:10:49 »

FGW (First Great Western) is I believe the ONLY franchise where Brand new stock isn't part of the deal!

Why is that then Vacman.

SUIT YOU SIR
Some pics of the interiors of the first refreshed FGW 150. Don't know about you but I think they look rather good:

http://www.therailwaycentre.com/News%20Nov%202007/051107-FGW.html

No new stock in the specification for East Midlands franchise...the 'Connect' part of the franchise i.e ex Central services.

They will have to join the queue like FGW and other operators in hoping to get some of the 1,300 carriages the government keeps saying are going to happen.

Just one small problem of course and thats the competition commision's inquiry into the ROSCO» (Rolling Stock Owning Company - about)'s leasing charges for ex-BR (British Rail(ways)) stock. The tables have somewhat been turned on DFT (Department for Transport) for reporting the ROSCOS to the CC as they themselves are being investigated by the way they prescrib what stock is used and where which restricts what stock the TOCs (Train Operating Company) can have.

Whilst all this goes on the overcrowding on our rail network gets worse as the ROSCOS aren't keen on investing in new rolling stock whilst they face a somewhat uncertain future regards what income they are going to get from rolling stock leases.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2008, 15:15:46 »

Its not a case of FGW (First Great Western) buying new stock...

The DafT specifies it wants some crap new underfloor engined trains (take Voyagers for example) and a ROSCO» (Rolling Stock Owning Company - about) will own them, and lease them to the TOC (Train Operating Company).

FGW actually own some of their stock, which is a bonus.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2008, 16:25:29 »

No new stock in the specification for East Midlands franchise...the 'Connect' part of the franchise i.e ex Central services.

They will have to join the queue like FGW (First Great Western) and other operators in hoping to get some of the 1,300 carriages the government keeps saying are going to happen.

The link below details where the 1,300 carriages (assuming they get built) are likely to be deployed.
http://www.dft.gov.uk/about/strategy/whitepapers/whitepapercm7176/railwphlsospecimen

Regarding the FGW area, the London-Reading corridor is battling it out with services in the Southeastern, Southern, South West Trains, Chiltern, London Midland, FCC (First Capital Connect), One and c2c areas for a share of around 900 extra coaches.

Bristol is battling it out with Leicester, Liverpool, Newcastle, Nottingham and Sheffield for a share of around 50-80 carriages.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2008, 16:27:54 »

Why is that then Vacman.

SUIT YOU SIR
East Midlands Trains = No new trains, Arriva Trains Wales = No new trains, "One" = No new trains, National Express East Coast = No new trains, Northern = No new trains, First Scotrail = No new trains and these are all companies that run ex BR (British Rail(ways)) stock, OK "one" have a couple of 170's and ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) have some 175's which are relatively new, but you get the point??? oh, First Capital Connect aswell... Grin
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2008, 16:56:37 »

The link below details where the 1,300 carriages (assuming they get built) are likely to be deployed.
http://www.dft.gov.uk/about/strategy/whitepapers/whitepapercm7176/railwphlsospecimen

I see that they're using 2001 figures for the number of people who commute to work by train as the basis of their calculation.   I wonder what they've done to allow for differential growth in that calculation.  I'm concerned that a 0.8% compound figure based on 2002/2003 figures was used for the GW (Great Western) franchise calculation that (I think) got us into something of the current mess, with actual achieved figures that I'm familiar with (TransWilts, which may have shown stronger growth that the rest of the FGW (First Great Western) area) being between 10% compound and 35% compound.

Leeds with 13000 daily commuters by train in 2001 gets 60 - 90 extra carriages
Bristol with 4000 daily commuters by train in 2001 would get just 10 if the "others" pot is spread evenly.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2008, 17:27:53 »

1)East Midlands Trains = No new trains
2)Arriva Trains Wales = No new trains
3)First Scotrail = No new trains
1) East Midland Trains have newish Meridians of some lines.
2) As you said about the 175's and they made be getting 5 year old Adelantes.
3) At the start of the franchise 170 had recently been deployed.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2008, 19:33:42 »

Your right in what you say, but in direct answer to smokeys question then i'm right, new-ish isn't new trains!
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2008, 21:30:54 »

Your right in what you say, but in direct answer to smokeys question then i'm right, new-ish isn't new trains!
I know you were write in the answer to the question but as they had newish trains they didnt need new ones hence there was no franchise commitment to.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: