17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

No 'On This Day' events reported for 19th Mar

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
07:04 Bath Spa to Filton Abbey Wood
07:45 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 04:33:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[99] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[99] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[95] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[80] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[51] Europeran Rail Timetable
[51] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenilworth Station - new project?  (Read 89177 times)
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 11:00:50 »

As I understand it the current version of 'NUCKLE' has given up on crossing the layout at Coventry, hence no longer including Leamington - to the extent that the enhanced Nuneaton service 2 tph and extra stations) is going to get and use a new bay west of the down main platform, to keep it out of the station entirely.

Paul
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 11:23:04 »

Yes, that's how I understand it too - though with the announcement of Kenilworth station the full scheme may now once again be back on the agenda, as it would provide a pretty useful south to east of Birmingham orbital service.  Perhaps extending and increasing the frequency of the current Moor Street to Leamington stopping service to Coventry also might work, though that would mean a reversal at Leamington Spa and I'm guessing the through journey time to Birmingham would be slower than going up to Coventry and changing, but at least that would be a diesel operated option. 

I guess we'll have to wait for an announcement when the various options have been researched.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2013, 17:56:43 »

I can see the electrification of that line only being done within the project that will electrify the full 'electric spine' for freight....

Yes, that line is definitely being electrified (and fully redoubled) as part of the 'electric spine' project, and as I said it's just a question of how quickly that bit is done as to what form the Kenilworth service might take to start with and then be subsequently developed over the years.

I hesitate to take issue with II (but it's not stopping me!) on a detail, but I recall that Coventry - Leamington Spa was never double all the way.  I remember, as a trainspotter at Coventry in the 50's, that 41902 and 41909 ran the 2 shuttles between Nuneaton and Leamington Spa Avenue (as it was then), and there was a short single track section I think with one end at Gibbet Hill and the other at Kenilworth Junction, where the line joined from Berkswell.  I remember trains, latterly dmu's of course, stopping at Kenilworth.   
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 18:15:00 »

That's quite possible - I was just presuming it used to be double track as most similar routes usually were when first built.  I know it's a slightly awkward route in terms of gradients and condition of the ground it runs over.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2013, 14:01:27 »

Kenilworth station funding confirmed today:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/green-light-for-kenilworth-station

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2014, 11:15:32 »

Test trains for future Coventry-Kenilworth Station-Leamington rail service to run this Saturday

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/KENLWTH/2014/10/04/0000-2359?stp=S&show=all&order=wtt

Unfortunately, several of us will be in Taunton
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2014, 19:26:18 »

From the Coventry Telegraph:

Revealed: Design of new ^12million Kenilworth train station

Nearly 600 people voted, with a traditional design based on the former town station taking the most votes

Artist's impression of Kenilworth Rail Station option A.

The design of the new ^12million Kenilworth Railway Station has been revealed after a public vote.

Nearly 600 people cast their votes on three designs put forward by Warwickshire County Council and option A ^ based on how the original station, which closed in 1965, would have looked ^ proved the overwhelming favourite receiving 71 per cent of the vote.

The new station, which will be built in Priory Road, has received funding from the Department for Transport^s New Station Fund to the tune of ^5million. The rest of the cash is being provided by local transport bodies and Warwickshire County Council.

Coun Peter Butlin, portfolio holder for transport and planning, said: ^For many years there has been the enthusiasm for a new station in Kenilworth and the benefits it will bring to the town. I^m looking forward to the start of construction next year and making the station and the new rail services a reality.^

Construction work will start on the station next summer and will include a bus stop, a park-and-ride and a car park. For more information visit www.warwickshire.gov.uk/kenilworthstation.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2014, 23:20:30 »

Nearly 600 people voted, with a traditional design based on the former town station taking the most votes

... the overwhelming favourite receiving 71 per cent of the vote.
I'm not the only one who thinks traditional is better then, so why do NR» (Network Rail - home page), the TOCs (Train Operating Company) and even (I think) a firm called 'heritage designs' keep inventing ways to vandalise perfectly good architecture. Just look at the plans for Aberystwyth (the trashing of which I have seen in progress), Shrewsbury and, perhaps worst of all, Cardiff Central.

Oh, and Heritage Designs? Don't know if they were responsible for the errors, but the comparison at the end of one of my 'Trains For Fishguard' videos should make clear that the new building has none of the character of the original. The council tried, apparently, but somehow it has utterly failed.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2014, 08:56:23 »

More from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

Designs for a new railway station in Kenilworth have been unveiled.

It follows a public vote, which Warwickshire County Council said had "overwhelmingly" backed a traditional design based on the original building, which closed in the 1960s.

Work on the ^11.3m station is due to begin in the summer and services could stop there by the end of 2016.

The government gave its backing for the project in December 2013, after years of local campaigns.

The Department for Transport has provided ^5m in funding, with the rest coming from the local authority.

The council said more than 300 people gave their feedback at public exhibitions, with another 250 responding online or by post.

It said 94% backed the building of the new station on Priory Road.

More than 70% selected the "traditional" option inspired by the original station that closed as part of the Beeching cuts.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2014, 11:35:25 »

Looks to be a fine station building, far larger and better facilities than I imagined.  Interesting that a ticket office is to be provided, given the controversy over ticket office closures that eventual operator, London Midland, has been embroiled in recently.

Also, what an odd county flag Warwickshire has got, and it's logo based on the design must be one of the worst in the country!

Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2014, 21:37:15 »

Eeh, the Cardiff design seems to be inspired by the "Eyesore of the month" website; e.g. see:
http://kunstler.com/eyesore-of-the-month/july-2014/

This site has been running for years - you can either follow the links to other months or tweak the date in the URL.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2015, 17:54:38 »

Good to see this nice little touch being applied to a station design that has already won praise:

http://www.kenilworthweeklynews.co.uk/news/local-news/historic-twist-for-town-s-new-rail-station-thanks-to-campaigners-1-6602890

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2017, 12:28:41 »

Kenilworth on target to open on Sunday 10th December.

As expected a roughly hourly shuttle service (using a 153 presumably, though hopefully they'll find something longer for the first few days when the public gaze will be on it, and people will be trying it out?) running from 06:00-23:00 on weekdays.  Starts a bit later on Sundays and finishes a bit earlier on Saturdays but still an hourly frequency.  A shame it can't tie in with the Nuneaton-Coventry service due to pathing restrictions at Coventry, and a shame the times can't provide a more even Leamington to Coventry service which will double to become 2tph, but with departures typically at xx:01 and xx:14 from Leamington and xx:25 and xx:36 from Coventry the opportunity for a regular 30-minute service has been missed.  Not as easy as it sounds of course with pathing at Leamington and Coventry and on the single line sections between the two and plenty of intermodal freight vying for the paths.

Still, better than nothing and hopefully things can be tweaked a little over time.

Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2017, 12:55:15 »

using a 153 presumably, though hopefully they'll find something longer

Shhhhhh...... If a certain major forum member hears there is available stock that can replace a single 153, we'll never hear the end of it  Wink  Smiley
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2017, 15:02:22 »

the new building has none of the character of the original. The council tried, apparently, but somehow it has utterly failed.

This is no accident.  It is a dogma of architecture and planning that although the new built is meant to be "in keeping" with the original, it should have a different (sometimes even contrasting) character.  The reasoning being that if it blended in too well it would detract from the original or be a pastiche of it.  You are always meant to see the join.  It is generally not a dogma which the public agrees with.  I live in a 1950s pebble dash semi of no architectural merit in Bath.  Most of our neighbours have built on an extension to the side.  Because this is Bath darling and the planners are so precious none of the extensions are allowed to blend seamlessly into the original house.  They are all set back by about a foot with consequential messy rooflines so that the integrity of the original design is preserved.  The houses all look slightly more ugly because of this requirement because every single extension looks "tacked on". 
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: