08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:00 Oxford to London Paddington
Short Run
18:23 London Paddington to Banbury
19:45 Banbury to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 10:55:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] A daily picture from my recent travels
[61] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[53] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[51] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[46] 2024 Delays and Cancellations - North Cotswold Line
[43] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenilworth Station - new project?  (Read 89185 times)
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2017, 17:35:23 »

the new building has none of the character of the original. The council tried, apparently, but somehow it has utterly failed.
This is no accident.  It is a dogma of architecture and planning that although the new built is meant to be "in keeping" with the original, it should have a different (sometimes even contrasting) character.  The reasoning being that if it blended in too well it would detract from the original or be a pastiche of it.  You are always meant to see the join.
That dogma I think was the case with the Shrewsbury changes I mentioned, but there is no 'join' at Fishguard & Goodwick because the original wooden building was demolished completely (at least half of it was beyond repair).

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2017, 16:09:02 »

Kenilworth on target to open on Sunday 10th December.

Looking like it might be off-target again now!  February 2018 being mooted.

https://www.kenilworthweeklynews.co.uk/news/opening-of-kenilworth-station-with-full-service-severely-in-doubt-1-8261652

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2017, 20:51:56 »

Why is the station at the single track section? I thought part of the double track section was within Kenilworth, so wouldn't  that have been  a better location, with less impact on capacity? I hope there is space for doubling through the new station, as surely that bottleneck on  a busy line will  addressed eventually...
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2017, 17:25:29 »

Why is the station at the single track section? I thought part of the double track section was within Kenilworth, so wouldn't  that have been  a better location, with less impact on capacity? I hope there is space for doubling through the new station, as surely that bottleneck on  a busy line will  addressed eventually...
I believe that two platforms are under construction, but the second will be mothballed until the double tracking actually happens.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2018, 17:04:43 »

From the Leamington Observer

Arrival of first train at Kenilworth Station still a mystery

The first train was expected at the town’s new £13.6million station last December, but just days before the scheduled opening the Department for Transport (DfT» (Department for Transport - about)) said no train or drivers would be available until February to operate a service on the line running between Leamington and Coventry.

But the DfT – which contributed £5million to the total cost of the project, with the remainder provided by local transport bodies and Warwickshire County Council – failed to deliver an opening date last month.

It has left both council chiefs and commuters frustrated.

A county council spokesperson said: “We are working with our partners in the rail industry to finalise the opening date for Kenilworth station, and beginning of services at the station. We hope to confirm this date as soon as possible.”

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2018, 17:23:22 »

Kenilworth on target to open on Sunday 10th December.

Looking like it might be off-target again now!  February 2018 being mooted.

https://www.kenilworthweeklynews.co.uk/news/opening-of-kenilworth-station-with-full-service-severely-in-doubt-1-8261652

And now "Sometime in April" ...
https://www.facebook.com/MidlandsBBC/videos/10156143254604761/

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2018, 13:58:14 »

From the Kenilworth Weekly News

A top official of the national rail regulator announced he 'authorised Kenilworth Station' on social media last night (Thursday April 12).

Ian Prosser, HM Chief Inspector of Railways at the Officer for Rail and Road (ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about)), said: 'Today I have authorised Kenilworth Station' on Twitter at just after 8.30pm last night.

The ORR then retweeted him, saying: "Great news, Kenilworth station moves a step nearer to opening."

However, a firm opening date has yet to be announced.

Following the news, the joint managing director of Warwickshire County Council Monica Fogarty said: "I am delighted to say that the ORR has passed authorisation for entry into service subject to a number of outstanding items being finalised.

"All partners have worked extremely hard to move this forward so that the station can open as soon as possible.

"Once these have been finalised, we will be in position to confirm the date for the station to open."

JFDI (just flipping do it (polite version))!

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2018, 04:57:32 »

From The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

Kenilworth station is to open its doors to passengers on 30 April.

More details about timetables and ticketing will be made available later, but Warwickshire County Council said it had agreed the start date with West Midlands Trains.

Residents had been told the station would open in 2016.

Richard Dickson, of Friends of Kenilworth Station, said his excitement at the opening was muted as residents had waited so long.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2018, 06:17:28 »

Kenilworth station is to open its doors to passengers on 30 April.
More details about timetables and ticketing will be made available later,

From the Coventry Telegraph

Nearly 18 months after the original opening date, Kenilworth Station is finally set to open on Monday, with train services calling at the Warwickshire town for the first time since 1965.

Campaigners have battled for more than 30 years to get the station reopened, and at 6.16am on April 30, the first train will depart to Coventry, arriving at platform four some nine minutes later.

Originally, the station was set to reopen in December 2016, but the project has been delayed on more than one occasion since then.

Earlier this year, Warwickshire County Council’s joint managing director Monica Fogarty revealed services would start on Monday February 26, before West Midlands Railway dismissed this, saying that the opening would be "at least 5 March" - representing the fourth delay to the opening.

But Monday's date looks set in stone, with a full, albeit infrequent timetable now available on National Rail's website.

The first train to depart Kenilworth Station is set to leave at 6.16am for Coventry on April 30, but commuters will face a lengthy wait if they miss this.

Trains will depart at eight minutes past the hour, every hour until 9.08pm.

The final train will then leave at 10.25pm.

In the opposite direction, trains will head to Leamington Spa.

The first train is set to depart at 6.44am, and continues to run at 44 minutes past the hour until 9.44pm.

The final train will leave at 10.53pm.

All services at Kenilworth Station will be a single carriage West Midlands Railway service.

These services will run from Monday to Saturday, will no services on Sundays.

A single ticket will cost £2.60 without any railcard deductions, while a return will cost £2.90.

Frankly, I would love an hourly service at my local station, and an evening service too. 

Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2018, 08:33:08 »

Full timetable on RTT» (Real Time Trains - website): http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/KNW/2018/04/30/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt . Agreed - it's hardly an infrequent service nor are there any lengthy waits!
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2018, 17:40:41 »

This.
http://news.warwickshire.gov.uk/blog/2018/04/27/kenilworth-station-to-open-on-monday/
If Camberwick Green had a Railway Station this is what it would of looked like 😉
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2018, 18:44:59 »

This.
http://news.warwickshire.gov.uk/blog/2018/04/27/kenilworth-station-to-open-on-monday/
If Camberwick Green had a Railway Station this is what it would of looked like 😉

Don't you mean  Ambridge next stop Hollerton Junction one way Felpeshum tother.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2018, 21:06:56 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

Kenilworth station has reopened to passengers after decades of campaigning.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2018, 23:33:21 »

... and how many of those other useful facilities would also be very welcome at ... well, Melksham, just for example Roll Eyes :

The station was designed in a partnership between Warwickshire County Council and the local train operator following consultation with local residents. It will feature an on-site retail unit offering a full range of tickets for travel across the UK (United Kingdom), rail travel advice and a community café will open for business.

Passengers will also benefit from a covered cycle parking and a ticket vending machine. The station is fully accessible, with step-free access throughout, thanks to lifts and footbridge. It also has a new 72 space car park.

The design has embraced the history of the site, with two stained glass windows and a vintage sign salvaged from the original station building, demolished in the 1980s.  These features were donated by Kenilworth residents and have contributed to the heritage feel of the station, this having been requested by the local community.

I'd love to see Melksham Station move up into that level of service.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2018, 11:04:23 »

... and how many of those other useful facilities would also be very welcome at ... well, Melksham, just for example Roll Eyes :

I took a trip out to the West Midlands last week to see numerous things going on in the area, and was also keen to drop by Kenilworth.  My outward trip was on an early lunchtime train from Leamington Spa to Coventry.  The single car Class 153 that plies the route had about ten people on board from Leamington, roughly half of which got off at Kenilworth where another twenty or more joined me through to Coventry.  After visiting other places I returned in the evening to watch one the 18:00 from Leamington arrive at Coventry (very healthy loadings of about 50) and returned on that train at 18:36 from Coventry to Leamington.  There were around 30-40 people on board with 20 or so leaving at Kenilworth and a handful or so boarding.  A couple of hours wandering round the station and enjoying some fish and chips at the shop by the station and I then returned from Kenilworth on the 20:44 to Leamington (about 5 got off and one other including myself got on).

I don't know whether Graham has had a chance to take a visit to Kenilworth or has plans to do so, but general route and population similarities with Melksham are quite striking.  Kenilworth has a population of 22k with larger settlements either side at Leamington's (56k) and Coventry (over £300k), and when/if Nuneaton is added as a through route you have its 86k and Bedworth's 30k to add.  For Kenilworth read Melksham which has its own 20k, with the larger settlements one side of Trowbridge and Westbury (the combined population of 50k being comparable to Leamington), and the other side you have Swindon being the 'Coventry' of the route at 182k and Chippenham the 'Nuneaton' at 45k.  And of course Westbury/Chippenham/Swindon all offer connectional opportunities to other large places in the same way Leamington, Coventry and Nuneaton do.  Even the end-to-end journey times are similar at around 45 minutes.

The principal difference of course is frequency.  With the station finally opening it has 17 trains each way per day at a memorable hourly frequency, whereas Melksham only has around half that.  Kenilworth is arguably better sited for its inhabitants and has much better facilities - larger car park, proper station building with waiting room and cafe, and a much more welcoming area surrounding the station - but I know Melksham has plans to improve its offering in that respect.

I'll be very interested to see how the usage builds over the coming years, especially if trains are extended to and from Nuneaton as connections for through journeys (especially coming from Nuneaton) currently leave a lot to be desired.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: