09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:00 Oxford to London Paddington
Short Run
10:38 London Paddington to Didcot Parkway
18:23 London Paddington to Banbury
19:45 Banbury to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 11:34:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[210] A daily picture from my recent travels
[57] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[54] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[47] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[45] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[41] 2024 Delays and Cancellations - North Cotswold Line

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenilworth Station - new project?  (Read 89186 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2018, 19:08:19 »

Another chance taken today to see how the Kenilworth service is developing as I returned south from the Potteries to see a couple of shoulder peak services.

Hopping on the 16:36 from Coventry to Leamington I was amongst around 60-70 on the single car unit so whilst seats were available, they were not in plentiful supply.  That train leaves around 10 minutes after the previous Leamington service in the form of a packed XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) service, so no doubt a few people prefer to wait for the local service, but I reckon about 30 passengers left at Kenilworth, with a dozen or so joining.  Watching the 17:00 to Coventry depart Leamington I counted around 50-60 people as it left.

The car park at Kenilworth looked just over half full.

I reckon 'Melksham fever' may well be reached pretty soon and a 1-car unit will no longer be adequate for the peak services.  Pleasing to see.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2018, 19:20:27 »

I reckon 'Melksham fever' may well be reached pretty soon and a 1-car unit will no longer be adequate for the peak services.  Pleasing to see.

Kenilworth and Melksham are very similar in population I think.  Of course Kenilworth has been started with an hourly service rather than every 2 hours - perhaps a lesson learned from Melksham where we're playing catch up with them on service frequency!

Delighted their train is busy.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2018, 22:08:32 »

Kenilworth and Melksham are very similar in population I think.  Of course Kenilworth has been started with an hourly service rather than every 2 hours - perhaps a lesson learned from Melksham where we're playing catch up with them on service frequency!

Delighted their train is busy.

I thought Kenilworth was larger, and Wikipedia confirms this, though not by much - 22k compared to 19k in 2011. I hadn't realised Melksham had grown that large. Perhaps due to the station?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2018, 04:38:09 »

I thought Kenilworth was larger, and Wikipedia confirms this, though not by much - 22k compared to 19k in 2011. I hadn't realised Melksham had grown that large. Perhaps due to the station?

This is where you need to be very careful what you are comparing, and work out which figures to use when you're looking at facility provision - be it station, shops or sewage. And also look at time scales - last year, this year, next year, sometime, never.

The population of the City of London is around 9,000 ... but then The City is the "Square Mile" is the the historic centre and the primary central business district.   People work there and don't reside there.  Melksham has a similar but far less extreme division - Melksham Town with 19,000 in the 2011 census.  But then "The Parish of Melksham Without is in the Melksham Community Area. It surrounds the Town of Melksham and has a population of approximately 7,500."  And with a growth of the built up area, you can walk down a street and go from one to the other without seeing any border.  To complicate calculations, a significant number of residences that were built in Melksham Without can only be reached by road from the Town, and the whole thing got so absurd that a number of chunks of the without were moved within a couple of years back.

Treat the current population as being 27,000 rising by about 10,000 in the next 10 years.  And, yes, I can point out the sites where housing is being built or are earmarked.  A neighbourhood plan video (in which, regrettably, I appeared), co-ordinated by both Town and Parish will be out in a couple of months. It suggests safeguarding an eastern bypass route, building housing areas which are transport friendly and porous to allow buses, self drive pods, cyclists and walkers cohesive community connection, and protecting land at the station and on the routes to it to ensure good and continued transport hub development there.

Off topic - feel a split coming on, unless someone can add a good Kenilworth comparator. I suspect that with "without" they are much more similar than a casual reader might have guessed, and in other aspects other than raw population too.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2021, 21:58:40 »

From Kenilworth Weekly News

Kenilworth could be without a train service for most of this year as rail bosses struggle to find enough trained drivers.

As we reported last month, rail services stopped in the town due to Covid cut backs, according to West Midlands Trains.

That was the stark message from Warwickshire County Council leader Cllr Izzi Seccombe (Con, Stour and the Vale) following talks with West Midlands Trains and town MP (Member of Parliament) Jeremy Wright.

brooklea
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2021, 10:03:01 »

Report from Kenilworth Nub News https://kenilworth.nub.news/n/ticketing-office-and-shop-at-kenilworth-railway-station-set-to-close
The ticketing office and cafe at Kenilworth Railway Station is set to close this Autumn.

It would appear that the Transwilts line is not unique in suffering negative impacts as a result of an unreliable serviceā€¦ Sad
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: