17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

No 'On This Day' events reported for 19th Mar

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
07:04 Bath Spa to Filton Abbey Wood
07:45 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 05:54:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[93] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[93] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[90] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[75] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[48] Europeran Rail Timetable
[48] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenilworth Station - new project?  (Read 89179 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2013, 10:05:34 »

Perhaps unsurprisingly, Worcester Parkway doesn't look like it's about to make the final approved list of stations from the government's new stations fund.  Surprisingly, perhaps, nor does Kenilworth, with the three probably candidates being Ilkeston (Derbyshire), Pye Corner (Newport West) and Lea Bridge in Walthamstow.  Hopefully this scheme will be extended in future years to allow the likes of Worcester Parkway and Kenilworth to open sooner rather than later.

Then again, perhaps it's not too late for Kenilworth...

http://www.railnews.co.uk/news/2013/06/03-new-station-announcement-may-be.html

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 12:17:14 »

Confirmed (provisionally).

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/kenilworth-new-station

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 13:55:13 »

100m platforms.

That seems to suggest a new service pattern possibly involving extension of an existing LM (London Midland - recent franchise) route,  because XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) would not be able to stop there with 5 car 221s.  It would be impractical to diagram only 4 car 220s, I've always assumed XC assign the different train types only loosely?

Paul
brompton rail

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 14:36:42 »

LM (London Midland - recent franchise) trains to Coventry are all electric however, with the exception of Nuneaton shuttle. To extend Nuneaton services to Leamington would require two services per hour to cross all tracks at Coventry, surely a non starter?

Chiltern don't have any services that terminate at Leamington either, unless the poor Stratford service is diverted to Coventry. This would require a franchise change though, as well as removing London services from Stratford. LM only run to Leamington in the peaks anyway. 

The 100m platforms would seem to rule out XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise))'s desire to divert Reading (etc) to Newcastle services via Coventry as there would be capacity problems with 2 extra services per direction per hour. Capacity between Coventry and Birmingham is the current issue for these XC services anyway.

A Leamington - Kenilworth - Coventry only service would not seem to be a great deal for Kenilworth passengers, surely Birmingham is their preferred destination.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 14:41:48 »

Surely capacity for XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) to run their second service via Coventry (and electrification) was/is already being dealt with as part of the CP5 (Control Period 5 - the five year period between 2014 and 2019) HLOS (High Level Output Specification) proposals previously announced?

But we're getting a bit far away from Worcester, and don't really need to drag this out of area matter out...

Paul
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 15:03:19 by paul7755 » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 15:07:16 »

Surely capacity for XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) to run their second service via Coventry was/is already being dealt with as part of the HLOS (High Level Output Specification) proposals previously announced?

But we're getting a bit far away from Worcester, and don't really need to drag this out of area matter out...

Paul

I'm going to split the thread tonight if I get a chance, Paul (unless someone else is around to do it in the meantime).

It IS a useful topic - though perhaps under "Cross Country" .. Kenilworth is virtually identical in population to Melksham, where a station was re-opened but there has never been a reliable, appropriate, advertised service.   Joinedup thinking is needed to ensure that Kenilworth station doesn't become a construction project, with services at just 06:38 and 19:11 to Nuneaton, and 07:20 and 19:50 to Leamington Spa, each day.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 15:29:17 »

I'm going to split the thread tonight if I get a chance, Paul (unless someone else is around to do it in the meantime).

Cough, splutter!  Shocked

I've taken grahame's gentle hint, and split / moved this topic accordingly.

Hope this helps!  Chris.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 15:34:46 »

There was rumour of an announcement today?.....Possibly only for Kenilworth, as the Minister was paying them a visit....
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 16:08:52 »

Yes, there's an off-topic discussion of this on the 'Worcester Parkway' thread. Blimey, wouldn't want to be an admin on this forum, blinkin' minefield...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 16:55:55 »

A Leamington - Kenilworth - Coventry only service would not seem to be a great deal for Kenilworth passengers, surely Birmingham is their preferred destination.

Well, it seems that is what they will get - an hourly service run by London Midland - according to the Leamington Observer who published this on Saturday.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 17:12:00 »

Cough, splutter!  Shocked

I've taken grahame's gentle hint, and split / moved this topic accordingly.

Hope this helps!  Chris.  Wink

Many thanks, Chris ... I have been teaching a keen class today, and there was a risk strong probability that I would get halfway and then get called away if I had tried to do the split earlier on.

Yes, there's an off-topic discussion of this on the 'Worcester Parkway' thread. Blimey, wouldn't want to be an admin on this forum, blinkin' minefield...

The admin and moderation job here is surprisingly pleasurable - made such by a great team doing that role, and a fantastic lot of members.   But there's a lot to look out for at times; I note your application not to join us  Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 10:21:01 »

LM (London Midland - recent franchise) trains to Coventry are all electric however, with the exception of Nuneaton shuttle. To extend Nuneaton services to Leamington would require two services per hour to cross all tracks at Coventry, surely a non starter?

Chiltern don't have any services that terminate at Leamington either, unless the poor Stratford service is diverted to Coventry. This would require a franchise change though, as well as removing London services from Stratford. LM only run to Leamington in the peaks anyway. 

The 100m platforms would seem to rule out XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise))'s desire to divert Reading (etc) to Newcastle services via Coventry as there would be capacity problems with 2 extra services per direction per hour. Capacity between Coventry and Birmingham is the current issue for these XC services anyway.

The original proposal, called NUCKLE, was for an hourly service from Nuneaton to Leamington Spa via Coventry and Kenilworth (hence the name), so I assume that is still the desired plan? To be initially operated by diesel, but then later on by electric trains?  Crossing the tracks at Coventry will of course put pressure on that junction, but I can't see how that would make it a 'non-starter', and would have the benefit of not clogging up a platform at Coventry for as long as if it was just a Leamington-Coventry shuttle that operated.

I agree that Birmingham would be an better destination than Coventry or Nuneaton, but the only way I can see that happening is if the current hourly shuttle from Birmingham International to New Street starts back at Leamington Spa, calling at Kenilworth and Coventry, then Birmingham International.  Or possibly if it made a couple of extra calls at Tile Hill and Hampton-In-Arden that would have the added benefit of allowing those calls to be removed on the LM service from Euston to Birmingham via Northampton, and knock off a few minutes from what is currently a pretty slow link between two large places like Northampton and Birmingham.  For that to make sense you'd need Leamington to Coventry wired sooner rather than later though, so it depends how quickly Network Rail can get that done.

Still, the final plan is for Network Rail to work out, and that's why the 'wider picture' caveat has been included in yesterday's press release.

Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 10:25:28 »

The admin and moderation job here is surprisingly pleasurable - made such by a great team doing that role, and a fantastic lot of members.   But there's a lot to look out for at times; I note your application not to join us  Grin

I didn't mean to rule out the possibility of lending a hand!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 10:26:46 »

I can see the electrification of that line only being done within the project that will electrify the full 'electric spine' for freight....
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 10:42:02 »

I can see the electrification of that line only being done within the project that will electrify the full 'electric spine' for freight....

Yes, that line is definitely being electrified (and fully redoubled) as part of the 'electric spine' project, and as I said it's just a question of how quickly that bit is done as to what form the Kenilworth service might take to start with and then be subsequently developed over the years.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: