Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:15 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 21:17:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[263] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[49] access for all at Devon stations report
[47] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[32] Cornish delays
[30] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[17] Where have I been?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Puzzle with English, Irish and Welsh elements  (Read 7957 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 04, 2013, 16:48:14 »

Help - I feel like I'm taking "Fare's Fair" over.   I'm planning for later this month ...

1. Wednesday, 26th June - from Cambridge Science Park at 12:00 Midday, can't fly (too much equipment) to CityWest, Dublin for 09:00 on Thursday, 27th June.   Prefer a longer overnight crossing (Liverpool to Dublin would be idea) to get a good night's sleep.  Second choice is to cross in the evening and get a hotel on the other side

2. Friday 28th June - from CityWest at 17:00 to ... Well I'm on holiday from that point onwards, with a 16:00 pickup of the keys for a holiday cottage near Harlech.   Need to have a car there;   Lisa will drive some of the way, but not all the way through the Wales.

My "best" so far ... Wednesday, SailRail from Cambridge to Dublin, on the horrid middle of the night ferry from Holyhead. Thurday - 18:38 Dublin to Rosslare, irritatingly misses the boat, stop in hotel overnight.  Morning boat, train to Carmarthen to meet Lisa there.  Is a Dublin to UK (United Kingdom) Sailrail valid for that?

I'm happy within Dublin - shuttle bus from ferry to Dublin in the morning, and Luas to CityWest

Ideas to improve on my initial thoughts, folks?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 23:32:40 »

Carmarthen is still quite a way 'across Wales' from Harlech...

Sadly Harlech is a long way round by rail from either Holyhead or Fishguard, I guess that's why you said you need a car. Using only public transport, a bus from Bangor to Porthmadog is probably the best way to get to Harlech from one of those ports.

I'm not a fares expert, but on the fishguardtrains.info site I'm pretty sure they said you can get rail-sail tickets from Ireland to UK (United Kingdom) via Rosslare/Fishguard, whereas in the other direction you can only book UK to Rosslare as some of the connections on the Irish side are missing.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 08:09:25 »

Notable silence on this thread ... I've still not booked and wonder if anyone can spot any ideas I've missed. I will have too much luggage to fly, want to avoid having to transfer from train to boat or vice versa in the middle of the night as that could badly effect the course  am to give on arrival in Dublin.   Prefer not to drive, but the Liverpool -> Dublin boat does not take foot passengers, and I don't really want to have a car with me on the way back either.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
WSW Frome
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 13:00:02 »

Rail Sail ticket info from Ireland is shown on the Stena.ie site. From memory such tickets via Rosslare now cover only Dublin area to Rosslare stations. Via Dublin-Holyhead, I recall a wider geographical area being available. Both will cover the current question, if an onward rail journey to Harlech is viable.   
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 21:18:31 »

From memory such tickets via Rosslare now cover only Dublin area to Rosslare stations.

Not even those - I was advised that if I wanted to travel from beyond Rosslare, I would need to book separate even though the Stena site says otherwise (15 Euros extra).  "Via Fishguard" looking more and more impractical as I looked at timings.

On the good side, Stena are now running a second boat on Holyhead to Dublin, and it's recently started to take foot passengers.  So that means I'm off Cambridge at 13:45 and into Dublin port at 23:45; that late, I have pre-booked a taxi to my hotel.

Coming back on the morning Irish Ferries boat on the Saturday, and I've got a road pickup at Chirk at 14:00.

I'll advise how it goes, take plenty of puzzle pictures, and come back with a fare summary too.

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 22:36:54 »

Last time Mrs FTN and myself sailed to the Emerald Isle, we had no plan beyond Rosslaire. On docking, we found two trrains waiting, and decided to take the Wexford one. Finding that the other left first, we took that, to Waterford. It continued to Dublin. From memory, and it must be around 2002, it was like a step back in time, good fun, not very fast, and cheap. Also friendly - we got the same train out of Weford towards Dublin a couple of days later, and were met by the conductor with "Ah, it's yourselves!" It was loco hauled, about 8 carriages. It was an inter-city service, but still went along the street in Waterford, no fences or anything like that.

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 11:33:04 »

Last time Mrs FTN and myself sailed to the Emerald Isle, we had no plan beyond Rosslaire. On docking, we found two trrains waiting, and decided to take the Wexford one. Finding that the other left first, we took that, to Waterford. ...

Alas, the line from Rosslare to Waterford has been closed, as has the station at Rosslare Harbour to be replaced by one a few hunted yards (?) up the road.  Saves tracks on the harbour / level crossings etc.    Services / connections are poor - I looked at taking the morning boat from Rosslare to Fishguard, but there's no early morning train at all (from anywhere) to connect with it.   So that would have been a night in a hotel at Rosslare Europort.  There is a train from Dublin to connect with the evening boat (from Dublin at around 16:30) ... and that lands you at Fishguard at around 1 a.m.    All very disjoined - you would have thought that with an elapsed time of around 10 hour travelling, a daytime journey from Dublin (capital of Ireland) to Cardiff (capital of Wales) would have been possible!

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: