27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 24th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 01:12:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[228] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[101] You see all sorts on the bus.
[97] "Mayflower"
[91] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[61] Death of another bus station?
[36] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: On train wifi with different Train Operating Companies (TOCs)  (Read 65993 times)
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2013, 11:34:19 »

Speedtests from Virgin Trains WiFi vs Laptop Cell Connection. 29/06/2013 at around 20:00

(Times on the Speedtests are an hour behind due to incorrect settings in Web Browser)

Virgin Trains WiFi

Laptop Cell Connection (Three Mobile)

Grin Grin Grin Grin
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2013, 11:42:27 »

I must try & do this on Chiltern....
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2013, 12:20:00 »

I'd be interested to see some sample speeds on the FGW (First Great Western) 180s.  Only just managed to get it working on my iPhone 4S and (along with Chiltern) I have to log-in with the phone in 'Airplane Mode' or it doesn't work.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2013, 12:27:43 »

My iphone 4S has absolutely NO problem ever in accessing FGW (First Great Western) wifi on the 180s.....without entering Airplane mode. Suspect you doing something wrong?....
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2013, 14:18:37 »

I'd be interested to see some sample speeds on the FGW (First Great Western) 180s.  Only just managed to get it working on my iPhone 4S and (along with Chiltern) I have to log-in with the phone in 'Airplane Mode' or it doesn't work.

Hmmmm. I suspect that could be because you haven't logged in to the splash screen. Try and save the URL of the splash screen next time, then open that link when you join the WiFi. Sometimes also it takes a lit bit to associate to the access point and receive the relevant info like IP Addresses and things.

What network provider are you with just out of interest? You might be better sticking to using 3G if you're using the likes of Three Mobile with unlimited data. Not sharing the connection with the entire train then Wink Grin Tongue

I'm surprised that Airplane mode makes it work, On my old iPhone 4S that disabled WiFi for me... Shocked Lips sealed Undecided

Grin Grin Grin Grin
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2013, 14:26:47 »

I'm with o2.  If I have a cellular connection the log-in screen just hangs blank, but if I go into airplane mode the wi-fi still works and the log-in screen comes up correctly.  I can then switch off airplane mode when I'm logged in.  That is a fix suggested on various sites online and seems to work every time!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2013, 14:37:34 »

Sorry. You're right, I was getting WiFi confused with Portable Hotspot. The latter doesn't work under Airplane Mode.

It is a suggested fix from various sites, but the cause may be related to an App installed. Do you have any WiFi Apps installed? Say O2 WiFi or BTWiFi. They may end up being the cause.

However if the Airplane method works, then I'd stick with it rather than tinker.

O2 use alot of GPRS (General Packet Radio Service) based data streams so I'd probably want to use the train WiFi in that case. They also charge an exorbitant amount if you overuse your allowance. Very long gone are the days of unlimited data on O2!

Grin Grin Grin Grin
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2013, 07:23:50 »

GreaterAnglia Class 379 Speed test on a Monday early evening. I would define it just about commuter scrum hour Tongue

Nice upload and ping if I do say. However the down stream was very much so being maxed out.

Also my 4G Speedtest using EE on my Virgin Pendolino 'bash'; Saturday 29th June. (Forgot where the picture link was but just found it in my previous tests list)

I'm just showing off now Tongue

Next test will likely be Eastcoast or FGW (First Great Western) Class 180 Cheesy

Grin Grin Grin Grin
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2013, 23:06:57 »

Tried this on a First Bus en route from Temple Meads to home last night. However, it was around 8.30 pm. I bought nobbut a "3-stop-hop", and no-one wanted to get off at the first two. We fair flew along the bus lane, and were at Arnos Vale before I had mastered the log-in.

If it were thus all the time, I would sell the car.

Now, please!
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2013, 01:01:11 »

I'm in Bristol later on this evening FTN so if I find a WiFi Enabled vehicle I'll do the honours on my Smartphone Smiley

Grin Grin Grin Grin
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2013, 17:44:44 »

WiFi on CrossCountry today between Taunton and Bristol.

CrossCountry are beginning to redeem themselves Smiley

(And I posted this from 221125 somewhere near Yatton Grin )

Grin Grin Grin Grin
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2014, 19:40:15 »

I travelled on CrossCountry yesterday and was having a read of their WiFi Policy whilst onboard... There was something that struck me as quite possibly rather ridiculous:

http://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/customer-service/crosscountry-wifi/crosscountry-wifi-terms-and-conditions
Fair usage policy

So that we can offer all users of our WiFi system a reliable, smooth service, we have in place a Fair Usage Policy. We reserve the right to restrict a user's connection speed, or terminate their session, if the level of use is deemed by us as excessive and therefore to detrimental to other users. While the vast majority of users will use far less, we determine that any usage of the service above 40Mb per hour is classed as excessive and subject to restriction or termination of session.

With the emphasis in bold... Can I facepalm the desk please?

Ok, lets do some explaining here.

40MB in an hour is equivilant to 667KB every minute. Looking at the bandwidth usage from my Laptop in the last 24 hours. I am using way in excess of that. Even for very light usage.

Lets go into this further. You are using a company laptop, that is managed by your IT Department. It has remote management tools, Antivirus Software, Windows Updates etc to all run in the background.

The likes of Kaspersky download their updates from the cloud servers every 15 minutes or so. Sensible if you have users who are prone to open dodgy attachments in emails. Windows updates also download in the background and these can be anything from a few MB to 1GB+ if it's a large service pack.

All the remote management tools will "phone home" which uses background data.

So to bring me back to the original issue of 40MB fair usage allowance. I opened my laptop, connected up and everything was looking good. Within 10 minutes I hit the 40MB allowance! What had I done in the mean time?

Opened and had a quick look at my Facebook, Twitter, read around 10 emails and answered a further 2. In the background my Laptop would almost certainly have tried to connect to the Cloud Servers via DirectAccess VPN and updated it's antivirus.

Fortunately I was the only passenger in First Class so I doubt I was upsetting anyone else using the connections. On the return journey I used my Unlimited Data Plan. For the 102 minutes I was on the train I used around 500MB.

The User undertakes:-
  • Not to use the Hotspot for any unlawful purpose;
  • That it shall not make any use of the Hotspot such that the whole or part of the Hotspot is interrupted, damaged, rendered less efficient, or the effectiveness or functionality of the Hotspot is in any way impaired;

Ok the first one there is self explanatory. But the second one is ridiculous. Maybe someone can explain to me?

You join the HotSpot being used already by 4 people. The moment you connect as user 5, 10 or 1 it makes no difference; you make the hotspot less effective and less efficient. As the hotspot now has to provide for 5 users. So you have impaired the existing users for you to be able to load Google. How selfish of you! Tongue

But you cannot possibly use the darn thing if you are to fully comply with the terms and conditions. You make it less efficient and impair usage for other users the moment you connect. Whether you log in and use it or not.

• Not to use the Hotspot for the transmission or posting of any computer viruses or any material which is defamatory, offensive or of an obscene or menacing character or in such a way as to cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety;

Computer Viruses. That is assuming you KNOW you have one. That you know it's sending out thousands of spam emails every minute. Whilst ignorance is not a valid defence, I cannot possibly see how you can blame someone if they were unaware. Most are very clueless to their computers having viruses.

• Not to use the Hotspot in a manner which constitutes a violation or infringement of the rights of any person, firm or company (including rights of copyright or confidentiality);

Reasonably self explanatory that one. Although if I perhaps send a message to Ladyfriend trout via Facebook Messenger over WiFi to tell her that I think her friend is a moron. I've violated the rights of that person to not be called something horrible? Ok childish that one yes. But...

• That it shall not use the Hotspot to transmit any material for the purposes of publicity, promotion and/or advertising without the prior written consent of Crosscountry unless such transmission has been specifically requested by another User of the Hotspot;

I'm sat on the train with the Marketing Manager who has asked me to prepare and send a mass mailshot for a new product to our subscribers. As she is sat opposite me with a 10 minute reservation and connected to the hotspot I have asked for written authorisation to send the mailshot. I've just got her email.

• That CrossCountry may block access to certain websites by you on the Hotspot, including for example certain high bandwidth websites, in order to share bandwidth more amongst its User group.

Please do it properly then... Spotify is blocked on CrossCountry. Yet if you have the program installed on your laptop it actually works Undecided

The User will indemnify and defend CrossCountry against all claims, liability, damages, costs and expenses, including legal fees, arising out of a breach of these Terms and Conditions or any Use of the Hotspot by the User. The User acknowledges that CrossCountry has no control over the nature or content of information or programs transmitted or received by the User using the Hotspot and that CrossCountry does not examine in any way the use to which the User puts the Hotspot. The User agrees to fully indemnify CrossCountry against any claims or legal proceedings arising in connection with User's use of the Hotspot which are brought or threatened against CrossCountry by any other person.

If a party sued CrossCountry as a result of my actions. I would perhaps chose this route:

• Prove I was on or about the railway on the date and time of the alleged breach occured
  • From the HotSpot that the complainant is suggesting I used, prove I was on the train that contains this hotspot occured via CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) or Witness Statements
  • Assuming the above are true, prove it was any one of my devices connected to the HotSpot at the date and time the offence occured

If the above were true, then I might consider a claim against me if there was credible evidence of wrong doing. I received a speculative invoice for downloading copyright material of an Adult nature. I had done nothing of the sort. It turned out the only evidence they had was an IP Address and were just hoping I paid up for fear of the matter being taken further. At the time I was a new customer of that ISP and didn't hold that IP address until after the alleged offence was committed...

So reviewing everything here. Also reviewing a few other Wireless HotSpot Terms of Usage. They all have similar wording. So I think to be honest it is an invalid agreement as you breach it the moment you connect. Unless someone with a qualified legal hat on can tell me differently or explain it to me Grin Cheesy Tongue

Grin Grin Grin Grin
John R

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2014, 19:52:09 »

I browse my iPhone most days on the train and stay well within my 1GB monthly allowance. So it wouldn't cause me a problem.

Windows updates also download in the background and these can be anything from a few MB to 1GB+ if it's a large service pack.

Maybe that's precisely the sort of thing they don't want to be happening. I don't think it's reasonable to expect the service to be set up to accommodate that type of download.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2014, 09:59:17 »

Agreed.

The T&Cs are there to cover them disconnecting or otherwise being unable to offer the service. OK if it's complimentary, I guess - but are these the same in Standard where you pay for the 'priviledge'?
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2014, 14:58:54 »

Agreed.

The T&Cs are there to cover them disconnecting or otherwise being unable to offer the service. OK if it's complimentary, I guess - but are these the same in Standard where you pay for the 'priviledge'?

I am in complete agreement with you both. However the Windows Updates comment was based on Windows checking and downloading updates in the background... Specifically I was referring that this can happen without user request, intervention or knowledge.

As for the Ts & Cs being the same for First and Standard Class. I would say they are. I might need to use XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) tonight so if I do, I'll post accordingly.

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: