Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 19:35 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 19:47:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Call for Regular Service to Bodmin General  (Read 31831 times)
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 20:51:42 »

This is ridiculous. Postman, Fireman, policeman, boatman, are all long term traditional job titles.

...that have been replaced by postal officer, firefighter, police officer etc.

No, I agree, it's rediculous, they'll be giving them the vote next!  Shocked

How did Postman Pat and Fireman Sam feel about this. Postal office Pat doesn't work in the theme tune, and nor does Firefighter Sam in his theme tune.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2013, 21:13:42 »

I only slightly apologise for starting this: I wanted to make sure that women could be part of the signalling dept on the B&W even if the name was archaic.  I can understand terminology remaining quaint for historical reasons, but not attitudes and opportunities.
Kernow Otter
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2013, 23:40:08 »

I only slightly apologise for starting this: I wanted to make sure that women could be part of the signalling dept on the B&W even if the name was archaic.  I can understand terminology remaining quaint for historical reasons, but not attitudes and opportunities.

Oh good, glad that's clear.  Thank you.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2013, 02:17:19 »

The B&W signalling allows a train to be 'locked in' to the line between Bodmin General and Bodmin Parkway; so after the heritage operation has finished (normally about 1630 each day), a DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) could be shunted into the platform at Bodmin General and locked in.  It could then shuttle between General and Parkway as often as demand required, needing only a driver and a guard - i.e. Bodmin General signalbox would not necessarily need to be manned.  But this would prevent the B&W from running their occasional evening Dining and Murder Mystery trains.

Sounds reasonably straightforward, and potentially cost-effective. Let^s say the B&W were asked to provide the following DMU services on Monday-Fridays (journey time 12 minutes):

FROM BODMIN GENERAL - 0554, 0640, 0714, 0748, 0837, 0911, 0945, 1635, 1709, 1744, 1829, 1903, 1953, 2032, 2108, 2147, 2249.

FROM BODMIN PARKWAY - 0616, 0657, 0731, 0805, 0854, 0928, 1002, 1652, 1726, 1812, 1846, 1924, 2015, 2049, 2130, 2204, 2320.

How much would it be likely to cost to do so?

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
The Tall Controller

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2013, 18:43:53 »

Extreme early and late journeys would not be needed as frequently as that. We only get a couple on the Hind each morning and a couple off the later trains. First journey for me would run from Parkway just after the Night Riviera (0630) with last departure around 2035.

Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2013, 00:10:02 »

Fair enough. I was simply trying to provide as many connections as possible within the remit.

Rob T - How many passengers overall do you think more optimally-timed Parkway-General DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) services could attract, and can you (or indeed anyone else) have a stab at answering my earlier question on costings?

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
caliwag

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2013, 11:37:10 »

So, as happens on the Maritime Line, if the 153 fails, could we expect to see a pannier with a rake of two mk 1s until rescue arrives?
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2013, 14:46:38 »

So, as happens on the Maritime Line, if the 153 fails, could we expect to see a pannier with a rake of two mk 1s until rescue arrives?

Are you saying that Panniers and Mk1s appear on the Maritime Line or simply that 153s break down occasionally?  (I think I know what you mean, but read it literally  Grin)
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2013, 15:47:21 »

Network Rail do still (or at least did until very recently) use the term "Pilotman" though.

Correct, "Pilotman" is still used on the main line network, although given that it's a term that's specified in the Rule Book it's probably slightly more correct to say that the name is specified by RSSB (Rail Safety and Standards Board) rather than Network Rail. I've never seen this written down officially, but have been told by several senior ops trainers that "pilot" refers to "Person In Lieu Of Token" (slightly ironically, given the discussion above!).

"Signaller" is used throughout the main line rule book, and from my experience has been more or less universally adopted by the men and women who do the job.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2013, 18:58:03 »

Network Rail do still (or at least did until very recently) use the term "Pilotman" though.

Correct, "Pilotman" is still used on the main line network, although given that it's a term that's specified in the Rule Book it's probably slightly more correct to say that the name is specified by RSSB (Rail Safety and Standards Board) rather than Network Rail. I've never seen this written down officially, but have been told by several senior ops trainers that "pilot" refers to "Person In Lieu Of Token" (slightly ironically, given the discussion above!).

"Signaller" is used throughout the main line rule book, and from my experience has been more or less universally adopted by the men and women who do the job.

At least we don't suffer the problems the French, with their rather fossilised language, heap upon themselves, e.g:

Le m^decin = doctor (masculine)
La m^decine = medicine (feminine)
Le femme m^decin = lady doctor (masculine)

Then there's words ending in -ence - all feminine except le silence; 'the only thing the women could not keep'. Ha bloody ha.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
The Tall Controller

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2013, 19:46:11 »

Fair enough. I was simply trying to provide as many connections as possible within the remit.

Rob T - How many passengers overall do you think more optimally-timed Parkway-General DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) services could attract, and can you (or indeed anyone else) have a stab at answering my earlier question on costings?

TBH (to be honest) I think its a non runner. I base this on two things, one is the hourly bus from Padstow/Wadebridge and Bodmin to Parkway which often only carries half a dozen people on arrival each time. The other is the time it would take to go from Bodmin General to Plymouth if the link went ahead (where the vast majority of our regulars go). It is much quicker to travel by car. (approx 40 mins by car as apposed to 60 mins by train assuming a good connection).

Bodmin Parkway serves more long distance travelers than any other station mainly due to its remote location which would mean a rail link to Bodmin will make very little difference.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2013, 20:04:28 »

TBH (to be honest) I think its a non runner. I base this on two things, one is the hourly bus from Padstow/Wadebridge and Bodmin to Parkway which often only carries half a dozen people on arrival each time ...

Experience further east (I can't believe I'm saying further east for us!) shows a dramatic loss of traffic when a train is replaced by a bus, so that evidence along the lines of "only carries half a dozen" may in fact tell us that a train would have quite a good loading if the operation is reversed.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2013, 20:16:31 »

At least we don't suffer the problems the French, with their rather fossilised language, heap upon themselves, e.g:

Le m^decin = doctor (masculine)
La m^decine = medicine (feminine)
Le femme m^decin = lady doctor (masculine)

Then there's words ending in -ence - all feminine except le silence; 'the only thing the women could not keep'. Ha bloody ha.

Oh, I think it's mostly a question of what you're used to. Part of what looks odd to us is the strict agreement of gender (and number too), which rules out our way of avoiding awkward cases.

I have a rather dated book about the Brits ("Grande Bretagne", Petite Plan^te, 1972) which says women get less recognition here because we have very few nouns for women who are, or do, something, compared with French. He not thinking of "-man" type words - his examples of feminine words hard to translate into English are ^pici^re, voisine, ^tudiante, menteuse, emmerduse, Londonienne (grocer, neighbour, student, liar, nuisance (or worse), Londoner).

I think he rather gives it away by saying that: he feels the non-specific term like "liar" is male-specific because it is in French. We don't feel that at all, so it does not have the same effect. It is very hard to lose the feel of your first language for such things.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2013, 20:50:30 »

TBH (to be honest) I think its a non runner. I base this on two things, one is the hourly bus from Padstow/Wadebridge and Bodmin to Parkway which often only carries half a dozen people on arrival each time. The other is the time it would take to go from Bodmin General to Plymouth if the link went ahead (where the vast majority of our regulars go). It is much quicker to travel by car. (approx 40 mins by car as apposed to 60 mins by train assuming a good connection).

Clearly you are on the ground and have local knowledge which I am not qualified to query but I wonder how many people would use a rail link who would never think to use a bus one?

Sometimes that is a personal choice - the "I never travel on buses" brigade - other times it is through ignorance.   I only recently discovered the bus links from Bodmin and have now used them twice - once to Padstow and once to Bodmin Town.  (Ironically on the first trip I ended up coming back by taxi because of a bus breakdown and the second time I came back by steam train). 

Some people are blinkered when it comes to travel and stick with one form.  I can be a bit like that sometimes - if I start by rail I want to finish by rail.  Through ticketing and PlusBus help, but some people will only be attracted it is train all the way.
alexross42

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2013, 16:26:24 »

There's a new article about this on ThisisCornwall / in the Cornish Guardian today:

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Talks-continue-plans-town-rail-link/story-20307075-detail/story.html#axzz2nBSK6a8H

Basically it describes how talks between Cornwall Council and the Bodmin & Wenford Railway have taken place, with particular regard to how any workings would fit amongst the heritage railway's operations. It also states that 2015 is a more realistic timeframe for any such workings to commence...
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: