I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:55 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 19:40 Redhill to Reading
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:00:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Petitioners support reopening of Wisbech line  (Read 8095 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2013, 08:38:17 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

Wisbech railway petition reaches milestone

The former Great Eastern Line track near Wisbech carried freight until 13 years ago

People petitioning for a rural town to be reconnected to the railway network said they have received more than 3,500 signatures to support their cause.

Wisbech station in Cambridgeshire was shut in 1968 after passenger services to March were discontinued.

Campaigners said the town had suffered socially and economically ever since and are calling for the rail link to be reinstated.

Their petition will be handed to the county council next month.

Christopher Burton said: "Wisbech is one of the few towns of its size to not have a train station.

"There is a lot of unemployment and most of the jobs in the area are in Cambridge.

"It's important that the link to Cambridge, and indeed on to London, can be fully restored."

Campaigners said they believed a direct train service to Cambridge would take approximately 40 minutes - much faster than a car journey or existing bus service.

Research by the Association of Train Operating Companies says the proposed services could serve one million passengers.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 20:50:27 »

Should the re-opened railway be brought to the town centre? Level crossing issues that remind me of Portishead

https://wisbechrail.org.uk/2018/03/20/location-of-the-site-of-a-new-wisbech-railway-station/

Don’t short change us on the location of the site of a new Wisbech railway station

The Wisbech to March Railway crosses the Wisbech A47 bypass at grade about 2 miles towards March. Eventually this level crossing will have to be replaced by an road over-bridge. To avoid that cost some authorities have stated that Wisbech station should be at the A47 bypass, 2 miles from the town centre.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 21:44:43 »

Wisbech is coming on ... getting more support.   But also worry that it will bring the wrong sort of business

From the Fenland Citizen

Wisbech is only 100 miles from London, so with a reopened railway it could easily become a dumping ground for London’s rubbish.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 20:13:34 »

Well...

Clearly Wisbech is a local town for local people...
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2020, 20:57:51 »

Good luck to Wisbech, but I have to say I think there are plenty of better rail reinstatement candidates out there.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2020, 22:11:39 »

Well...

Clearly Wisbech is a local town for local people...

All aboard the Pitchfork Express!
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 08:06:51 »

Except for the fact that the line is still in place, whereas the alternative has been obliterated, I would have said it would have been more sensible to reconstruct the branch to the junction on the Cambridge-Ely-Kings Lynn line. 
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 11:55:54 »

Yes, I think that's the problem with the current proposals.  As one poster over on Railforums put it:

"A proposal to re-open a railway costing £200m between two places that most people in Britain have never heard of (so presumably would never have any reason to use), with virtually no local traffic, to connect a place (Wisbech) to the one place (March) that very few of them want to go to. Yes, it connects them to the national railway network, but with a circuitous route to the places of desire (Peterborough and King's Lynn) which are much better served by bus. And this local train service will be extremely expensive to provide, with rolling stock costing 3 times as much as a bus and a two man crew with expensive terms and conditions. All because there happens to be a (long) disused track formation in place. Reality check please!"

I wouldn't be quite that dismissive myself - for example the route to Peterborough isn't that circuitous via March, but they are all points to consider.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2020, 12:44:06 »

The view expressed on Rail Forum is perhaps poorly-worded, but the thrust of it does actually make a lot of sense. Unfortunately, many campaigns for reopenings are based on little more than the fact that there was once a line there. Business cases are often over-exaggerated, which they often were when the lines were built in the first place, imagining traffic flows that are unlikely ever to materialise, and/or justifications based on pet projects being useful alternative routes. I will not upset the apple cart or go off-topic by naming them, but there at least a couple I can think of within the GWR (Great Western Railway)’s extended patch.

I doubt that I would ever use a March to Wisbech service. The last time I stood on March station the depot still had an allocation of B1s and Flying PPigs, and the last time I passed through March by train, Ted Heath was still Prime Minister....

But what brought this thread to my attention was the “London’s rubbish” remark in the local press. Unfortunately, this is a prime example of non-news that the media like to report. There is nothing new in people thinking up spurious reasons to support their views on new proposals.

It is of course not just railways. People don’t like change. Any change, unless they reap some benefit from it for themselves, and sometimes they object even when they would benefit. I remember working a gig at a conservative club in Southampton in the early 90s where the then local MP (Member of Parliament), Christopher Chope was in attendance. He was getting his earhole bent all night by disgruntled constituents asking when the government was going to get its finger out and complete the M3 extension. Meanwhile Swampy and his merry band of pilgrims were digging themselves in on Twyford Down trying to stop them. We have people who complain about mobile phone masts whilst also whinging about poor signals. Every time a former railway line is proposed for conversion into a cycle route, some people seem convinced that cocaine addicts are going to materialise out of thin air and terrorise the locals in the cuttings. The list goes on.

Presumably the hack who wrote that piece is unaware that the country if full of places that are rail connected and about 100 miles from London (in fact I live in one of ‘em). Perhaps he or she can cite an example of the Armageddon that has happened elsewhere in support of the case?

Personally I think there’s more chance of London getting Wisbech’s rubbish than the other way round...
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2020, 13:09:22 »

With a level crossing that's like Portishead and with(out) an incinerator that's like Avonmouth, is Wisbech actually in Cambridgeshire? !!!

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2020, 14:39:51 »

but with a circuitous route to the places of desire (Peterborough and King's Lynn)
That must be the first time in quite a few years that Peterborough has been described as a place of desire.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2020, 17:54:12 »

My last visit to the Posh some 3 years ago, necessitated a journey from the town centre to the Travelodge near the Passport Office opposite a large lesisure centre. Each night for 5 nights,travelling between the 2, I was offered a certain substance in a plastic packet by different people. And I'm portly, over 60 and a WASP... hardly promising material to be a drugs mule I would have thought.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2022, 21:06:48 »

From CambsNews

Network Rail has thrown down the gauntlet and told German backers of a proposed £300m energy from waste incinerator at Wisbech- ‘you’re not getting our land without a fight’.

Medworth CHP Ltd – 50.1 per cent owned by the city council of Mannheim, Germany – told the Government Planning Inspectorate it may need to use compulsory purchase orders to acquire land in Wisbech.

Network Rail say they own 13 plots of land and of these compulsory purchase orders are being sought for 12 of them.

“The compulsory acquisition powers sought are described as being compulsory acquisition and temporary use of land and acquisition of new rights,” says Network Rail.

And that includes proposals by Medworth CHP to compulsorily buy “operational railway land forming part of the disused but operational railway being the March to Wisbech Line.

johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2023, 20:52:05 »

New developments on the Wisbech to March line reopening with Network rail looking at 4 different options for the line including heavy rail, light rail and tram trains.  Here's the link:

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/latest/network-rail-mulls-plans-to-reopen-cambridgeshire-rail-line-21-11-2023/?fbclid=IwAR3WakFd1eepco0zCvAlM3rR8fyReK4OYpgC0Ow6-YzlhwRXNajhd08yWLk
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: