Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:04 Bedwyn to Newbury
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:30 Warminster to Bristol Temple Meads
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 18:34:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lack of knowledge about buses  (Read 4489 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: October 26, 2013, 19:00:29 »

An interesting piece at http://www.busandcoach.com/newspage.aspx?id=7997&categoryid=0

I don't know where to start - lots of interesting stuff in there ... one thing struck me

However, what is interesting about our research is the lack of knowledge about the bus industry among passengers.

They sound like they were surprised.  At times we find trains complicated, and information sources unclear with some data completely missing.  But those problems pale into insignificance beside some really simple bus questions like "what's the return fare to Bath" which I don't think (from Melksham) I can find on either the First or the Faresaver sites.  Nor can I find "is my bus on time?"

Go to any train station, and you'll find a timetable / list of departures.  It may be imperfect in various ways, but at least it's there.   There's no timetable at all on 3 of the 4 stops on our street.   The fourth one has a 2008 timetable, since when the times and route have been radically altered.  Across the road, where the buses were withdrawn in July (improving to a loop route), there's a brink new "from 28th July 2013" timetable showing the 271 / 272 south east bound service ... which doesn't actually call there.   I reported the issue in late September, and have been told to report it again if not fixed by the end of October.  It looks like I'll be reporting it again ...

It's no wonder passengers don't know what's going on!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 19:50:48 »

Does the lack of knowledge refer to the buses themselves as well?

Such as are you travelling on a Volvo Olympian Northern Counties Palatine 2 or a Volvo Olympian East Lancs or a Volvo Olympian Alexander Royale.

Most rail travellers will know they are a travelling on a HST (High Speed Train) or a 150 etc, but I'd bet they would have a clue on the model of bus they are travelling.
I know my buses fairly well but certainly don't know which type of Volvo Olympian I am on.

Regarding bus times and arrivals, down here in Cornwall the prime 14/18 route has seen the normal route buses fitted with transponders and the stops fitted with displays telling us how many minutes from the stop the next bus is.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 00:36:41 »

Such as are you travelling on a Volvo Olympian Northern Counties Palatine 2 or a Volvo Olympian East Lancs or a Volvo Olympian Alexander Royale.

Most rail travellers will know they are a travelling on a HST (High Speed Train) or a 150 etc, but I'd bet they would have a clue on the model of bus they are travelling.
Not sure about that last statement. I'd guess they would recognise that they are different types of train but I doubt the general public would know what they are called. Also, given something like an IC125 versus an IC225 I'm not sure that 100% of the general public would realise they are two different types of train without parking one of each next to each other, unless the passenger pays attention to the details.

Also, while I can tell an Optare Tempo X1260 from an X1200 (count the windows) my knowlegde of bus models is fairly limited.

Regarding bus times and arrivals, down here in Cornwall the prime 14/18 route has seen the normal route buses fitted with transponders and the stops fitted with displays telling us how many minutes from the stop the next bus is.
There are a few bus-stop LED indicator displays in Pembrokeshire too. Oddly (unlike the ones at rail stations) they don't always seem to tell you what the time NOW is.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 06:35:50 »

Purely anecdotal but my mother still refers to the main bus route through Reading as "the trolleybuses" and calls HSTs (High Speed Train) "the loud trains".
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 12:19:59 »

The cast majority of pax couldn't care less how the industry manages their workload or with what type of vehicle. So long as the timetable runs, they're happy
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 13:01:43 »

Purely anecdotal but my mother still refers to the main bus route through Reading as "the trolleybuses" and calls HSTs (High Speed Train) "the loud trains".

I still remember as a child seeing the trolleybus wires in Reading.  The roundabout next to Tilehurst Sation was a terminus as recall and was where they used the roundabout to turn round
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 13:11:19 »

I lived near the other end, and the highlight was watching them turn and the booms falling of the wires leaving them stranded outside the fire station.  Grin
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 01:47:50 »

Not sure about that last statement. I'd guess they would recognise that they are different types of train but I doubt the general public would know what they are called. Also, given something like an IC125 versus an IC225 I'm not sure that 100% of the general public would realise they are two different types of train without parking one of each next to each other, unless the passenger pays attention to the details.

Also, while I can tell an Optare Tempo X1260 from an X1200 (count the windows) my knowlegde of bus models is fairly limited.

There are a few bus-stop LED indicator displays in Pembrokeshire too. Oddly (unlike the ones at rail stations) they don't always seem to tell you what the time NOW is.
WELL! Where do I start?
14/18 in Cornwall fitted with transponders. Some are, most not.
As per earlier posts, vehicles are very frequently swapped, so many on the 14/18 route do not have transponders, so the displays will not show a 'not fitted' bus,  Drivers frequently are told by passengers "your display isn't working correctly".  How to explain in simple English...........
Some busses are showing a fault on the transponder display screen (i.e. not in service, or no stop list) which would add to the public display problem.
As a driver with just over three years experience, I know very little of vehicle descriptions.  To me, they are Darts, B7's, Tridents, deckers, Vario's & Optair's  The finer knowledge is lost on me.
I would guess most of our passengers are thankful something turns up.

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 07:02:52 »

This thread also mixes (in my thoughts, anyway) with

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=12612.msg142143

I don't think that Jo Public is so much concerned with the model detail of buses. We tested that out for trains when the loco hauled was running and it was more about facilities, comfort, time keeping than where the engine was!

There is so much that could be done with the buses.  Yes, it's expensive to put a display at every stop and to fit automated and state of the art equipment all around.   But is that the only option to improve things, and is it really that expensive, or does the system preclude even modest extra investment and improvement?   Would a subsidised tender be awarded to company "A" who came in a thousand pounds less for the year, or company "B" who offered a web site and backup phone number during bus operation hours that let you find out where your missing bus was?

Company "A" operates locally on Sundays around here ... better than nothing, but last Sunday they lost me to the car - and that lost me to the connecting train too ... because I knew I had no way of finding out where the bus was if it didn't turn up.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: