Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:15 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 16:34:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Changes to cycle policy - 3/4 Aug 13  (Read 36191 times)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2013, 21:27:10 »

They did actually. There was a protest, when cyclists took lots of bulky items onto local services to "prove" that if they could take these items without restriction then why not bikes. Nobody seemed to point out to them that actually there are restrictions on the size of items, but instead the TOC (Train Operating Company) (Wessex or FGW (First Great Western)) just caved in and acceded to their demand.  I can't find a link to it, although it was on the local news at the time, sometime around 05/06 I believe. 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/4202559.stm. Now found a link!
Yes I remember that, someone travelled with an ironing board  Cheesy
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2013, 22:00:42 »

Blimey! An ironing board! Mrs FT, N! rang me a couple years back, asked me to pick one up from Sainsbury on my way home. Half-price, and we needed a new one. The lady on the check-out was impressed, thinking I was some sort of new man, until I asked if she knew what it was for. I don't think I'd risk taking one on public transport.

Now, please!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2013, 23:05:36 »

Why are there no bike racks - or indeed any other provision at all - for the carriage of even one bicycle on buses?  Shocked Roll Eyes Tongue

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2013, 23:12:43 »

They do it on the Continent... there's an argument that long-distance buses could accommodate cycles (maybe on external racks), but presumably you wouldn't bother to get on a bus if you weren't going far?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2013, 23:23:08 »

Why are there no bike racks - or indeed any other provision at all - for the carriage of even one bicycle on buses?  Shocked Roll Eyes Tongue

A quick Google to answer that question and disprove the assertion.  Tongue Wink Grin

http://blog.golakes.co.uk/special-bike-ride-bus-service-set-to-launch-in-the-lake-district/

Having checked, the service is running again this year also:

http://www.stagecoachbus.com/PdfUploads/Timetable_35679_800%20(Kendal%20Bike%20Bus).pdf

There's also another service which started this year:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-23110211

From tiny acorns.... Undecided

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2013, 23:30:03 »

A quick Google to answer that question and disprove the assertion.  Tongue Wink Grin

Fair enough: I'll rephrase that.

Why are there no bike racks - or indeed any other provision at all - for the carriage of even one bicycle on First buses?  Shocked Roll Eyes Tongue

After all, this particular topic started off with a query over First Great Western and their change in policy in the London area for one weekend - and then developed into a discussion over the lack of adequate provision on the Severn Beach Line.

Why do the railways get all the flak for not providing enough for their cycling passengers, when the buses (with your one honourable exception!) don't provide anything??  Shocked

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2013, 23:41:20 »

First ran a trial in 2011 in Scotland. No idea whether it became a permanent thing:

http://www.goinggoingbike.com/blog/scottish-bus-firm-to-allow-bikes-on-buses/

Knowing FirstGroup, probably not. Innovative isn't in their dictionary.

Delving deeper into this it appears that there are a few schemes in parts of the UK (United Kingdom). I've come across mentions of ones in The Yorkshire Dales, The Peak District and one in North Devon. That last one however is definitely no longer running:

http://www.thisisnorthdevon.co.uk/North-Devon-surf-bus-reaches-end-road/story-18587209-detail/story.html#axzz2a0OpfBpH

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2013, 01:28:57 »

There used to be one or two in our area

Devon Bike Bus
In the summer season the B1 Bike Bus services leaves Okehampton each morning from Tuesday to Sunday. So a one way cycle is possible to suit your time available and cycling prowess.

http://www.northlakedevon.co.uk/tourist-information/cycling/
and
http://buses.awardspace.com/Devon.htm  (picture too, scroll down)

and

North Devon's Surf and Cycle Bus has reached the end of the road because of funding shortfall.
The Surf Bus, as it is known by regular passengers, was launched in 2011 as part of a two year pilot scheme. The aim was to determine the need for bespoke transport for cyclists and surfers and to test the commercial viability of such an operation

http://www.thisisnorthdevon.co.uk/North-Devon-surf-bus-reaches-end-road/story-18587209-detail/story.html#axzz2a0pfai1U

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2013, 06:57:31 »

I recall weekend trains to Buxton in the Peak District from Manchester being run by old slam-door DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit), even though weekday services were by more modern stock, simply because they held more bikes more easily. No doubt a thing of the past now.

Now, please!
mjray

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2013, 10:00:50 »

Presumably the size restrictions not mentioned in the protest dates from when the railway had a parcel service which could carry larger items?

Meanwhile, in another place, Abellio's GA (Greater Anglia) have just announced extra services for the London-Cambridge Bike Ride http://www.greateranglia.co.uk/travel-information/journey-planning/service-alterations/details?ew_id=654
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2013, 08:00:04 »

Away from the railway, but not completely, BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Radio Bristol is leading its local news today with a report on the Bristol to Bath cycle path. Apparently, the safety and enjoyment of the path by the many is being ruined by what sounds like a few lycra-clad fascists.Dogs, cats, small children, and other more timorous cyclists have been run down here by wannabe Bradley Wiggins. About 3000 people use the path daily. Many say they would, but for the attitude of this selfish minority who see it as a speed trial track.

I offer two possible solutions. One involves piano wire, the other is to relay tracks and operate a light railway. That would carry much more than 3000 people daily, and the cyclists would have Fishponds Road, with its multi-million pound bus lane, to themselves.

Not just me, then.

Now, please!
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2013, 09:27:06 »

I offer two possible solutions.

I know the first suggestion was made tongue-in-cheek, but I'm afraid some criminal elements have already tried it and caused serious injury to ordinary cyclists. This link takes you to one version of the story.

http://www.bristol-rail.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1613

I'm sure however much we abhor selfishness, we do not suggest GBH as an answer.

Your second suggestion suits me just fine.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2013, 09:43:15 »

...the cyclists would have Fishponds Road, with its multi-million pound bus lane, to themselves.

Fishponds Road (eastbound) is, IMO (in my opinion), one of the most dangerous stetches of road in Bristol for cyclists. I have on more than one occasion been quite deliberately run off the road, apparently for sport, by motorists there - and I wasn't (as I recall) wearing any Nazi regalia.

In truth what is required on NCN 4 is some local speed restrictions in those few areas where children and wobbly novices proliferate; for much of it there is no reason why more proficient cyclists should not safely ride at speed.

Of course were there to be a serious scheme to relay rails along this route, no-one would be happier than I.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2013, 09:59:21 »

Away from the railway ...

We have more cycles and walkers past our home than cars ... as there are three combined cycle routes / foot paths onto the road, in addition to the single motor vehicle entrance to the cul-de-sac.

The majority of walkers / cyclists are fine, though for the most part they don't treat the road as a road. When bringing a car in / out we have to be very careful indeed.  It's especially busy at school start and school end time; we were "warned" when the local secondary school moved up the road from us and we became the main route to school for most pupils who don't use Dad's Taxi about all sorts of problems but - full credit to Melksham's current youngsters - the only issue is that we need to be careful in the flood of them that simply wouldn't fit on the pavement.

There are a few cyclists ... not the schoolbound ones ... who travel greatly in excess of the speed I would consider sensible on a shared path.   And they act as if they own the footpath, ringing there bells as if ordering you to get out of their way, and passing very close at speed.  I have a degree of sympathy - but then when we drive cars (and those of us who drive trains) have to stick to speed limits and consider safety, even if our vehicles can go faster, and I think cyclists should follow a similar guide. And they should slow down where conditions dictate it fore safety.

Interestingly, there's another group who also cause safety issues thought their speed - the drivers of mobility scooters.   It's not such an issue at home, as there aren't many driver of such vehicles out from us.  However, nearer the town centre they're on the pavement and going at quite some speed. I understand there's a 4 m.p.h. limit on them, yet some travel at  over 10 m.p.h. (yes, I have checked with a stopwatch), including past a blind corner where a public footpath comes out. One day ...

I'm not commenting on the politics / views of these people  Wink ... but they are often through less, or else disregard the enjoyment and safety of those with whom they share facilities.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2013, 10:03:47 »

Speed humps....try cycling over a sharp one at over 4mph.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: