Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 06:11:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A significant user group - and we value every single member  (Read 3294 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 20, 2013, 14:23:46 »

Someone has posted on a Wikipedia page that "a rail user group thinks ..." and that leads to the question "are we a rail user group?" And make no mistake about it, we are a user group, and probably quite a large one compared to others, although we pale into insignificance when compared to the number of passengers using trains.

In the first 19 days of this month, over 8,500 different people visited our web site, and between them they posted 1,150 messages - that's at the average rate of 450 different visitors per day, and 60 messages per day.  The average visitor has been here twice in that period (around 17,000 visits) and looks at 5 or 6 pages on each visit.  It scarcely seems credible that just a month ago we had to move the server, and everyone had to re-authenticate.

The re-authentication has gone very well - most users have reset their accounts / passwords without any help, and I've been able to help out everyone who has asked ... with one exception.  One particular member is writing to me, and now to other members of the team too, in tones of increased frustration.   Here's the latest:

Help

I^ve been unable to log into the site for weeks......

My log in no longer works, I^ve asked for a reminder of my password, a dozen times with nothing received back.......

I^ve tried to open a fresh account ^ it won^t let me because I^ve already got a account.

I^ve emailed Grahame several times and heard nothing back.

Frankly, I'm getting frustrated as well.   I have replied - on 18th June, 23rd June, 4th July and 19th July. And I'm sure that the system / server has sent you password reminders too, as everyone else has received them and come back.  I suspect that you've got very strong email filters set, and you or your system are throwing away all the reminders, and what I write, without reading them.

It's rather like asking me a question, then putting your hands over your ears so that you don't hear my reply!

From your latest email, I do now have a way to contact you (at my expense - cheeky, seeing as this is a free forum with volunteer support).   Please be re-assured we're trying to help, but I am not going to set a precedent by spending more of my own money making individual support callbacks.   Please check your spam box / filters, and if that doesn't sort you out please you phone me  Wink ) - my number is around in enough places!   If you do so with a computer / browser at hand, I should be able to get you logged in while you're on the phone.

Edit note: One of grahame's classic typos corrected, in the interests of clarity - and my full support for the guidance he has offered in this post.  Chris from Nailsea.  Lips sealed
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 18:33:13 by chris from nailsea » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 14:28:18 »

I should add a reminder of this from the forum agreement:

You also agree to NEVER use another person's account for any reason, and not to register for a second account if you already have one, even if you are unable to access it for any reason.

I can understand the correspondent who's email I quoted above looking to register another account in his frustration, but doing so is a serious breach of the user agreement ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 18:24:17 »

Well done, grahame - you've taken far more trouble than I would've gone to, and set an example to us all. Sincerely hope it all proves worthwhile in the end.

Meanwhile I fully intend to take you up on your suggestion and "ale into insignificance" myself this evening 'Wink
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 19:58:30 »

They probably need to check their "junk". All the emails from this site go to my junk, but I go through my junk box twice a week, and also if I am expecting an email that hasn't turned up.

To reset the password isn't there a secret question and answer set up in place? Everyone knows their mother's maiden name (except my wife, who responds umm- umm, when asked for mother's maiden name), where they were born etc

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 20:36:49 »

Meanwhile I fully intend to take you up on your suggestion and "ale into insignificance" myself this evening 'Wink

Yes, that was the specific typo that I corrected - if only lest it set a bad example to our members!  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: