Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:12 Reading to Bedwyn
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 05:56:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[87] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[81] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[72] Return of the BRUTE?
[61] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[49] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Carmarthen and Aberystwyth  (Read 34314 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2013, 05:59:43 »

Out of interest, does anyone know of a re-opening project of the last 30 years that has not exceeded its passenger and revenue forecasts?

There were two others I wondered about ... Corby and Sinfin.   Wikipedia tells us about Corby

On 13 April 1987 passenger service of 11 shuttle trains daily between Corby and Kettering, usually operated by a single DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit), was reintroduced with local council subsidy,.[2] More than 100,000 people used the service within the first 12 months and an extension to Leicester was proposed. However, the service became unreliable and the council withdrew its subsidy, leading Network Southeast to withdraw the service on 2 June 1990

And to complete that history, re-re-opened 2009, passenger figures in 3rd complete year 0.215 million ticketed journeys.

Sinfin, it turns out, falls outside your "30 year" request as it re-opened in 1976.   There were two stations on the branch, one only with access to factories, and the other primarily for factories although with a public footpath access available.

The line reopened on 4 October 1976 for passengers as Derby City Council's attempt to copy the new Cross City Line in Birmingham. The service was poorly used because of the time of the last train and because it was served by only four trains per day

I'm going to suggest that the original Corby was a success initially, and that Sinfin was a special case.  In neither case do I have access to the forecasts made at the time they re-opened; did Corby fail not through lack of passengers but through lack of a long term funding strategy?

The overall lesson seems clear though - the more you frame your service offer towards what passengers actually want, the more successful your reopening project is likely to be, as obvious as that sounds.

It sounds obvious, but is still a point well made and to be considered. And leads to the question "what do people actually want?". That's were we've done a lot of (local) studies in our area - and we still are doing to keep our data up to date - and we've asked questions wider, little straw polls on the form, reading Passenger Focus reports and much much more.
* Trains at times that people want / require to travel; that includes alternative trains when plans change
* Reliability, with reasonably good timekeeping and connectional reliability too
* Information about services
Factors such as facilities at stations, levels of fares, ease of use, presence and welcomingness of staff, overall journey time, etc, also come in to the equation, and many of the factors interlink.  But the main make or break tends to be "a reliable journey when you want it" for which people will move up or down by an hour during the day, or half an hour at peak times, for what I'll describe as regional journeys.

Going back to the original question:

Out of interest, does anyone know of a re-opening project of the last 30 years that has not exceeded its passenger and revenue forecasts?

You are asking about comparatives, so that's as much about the quality of the forecasting.  And there's a whole new can of worms in there.   If a hundred people in a survey say "I will use a service", how many really will?  And what adjustment factors should the forecasters use on such responses?   And how do you reach your audience for such a survey?   You can online sample, but then you get just the connected and informed parties replying, so you need to take a whole load of other forecasting techniques such as population and habit mapping and draw from that too.

The final part of your question was passenger and revenue.  And there you're looking too at predicting what the average fare each passenger will pay. Estimating journey types, and the mix of reduced rate to full rate, peak to off peak fares, what level the operator will set for unregulated fares, how many fare dodgers you will have [[your revenue protection regime]]

With advances in techniques, modern forecasts tend to be more informed, although I would hesitate to use the word "accurate" as there are some biasing factors ("optimism factors") that float around in official decisions which will tend to give a lower figure than actually achieved.   But then factors and forecasts - unless they model in huge detail - will assume the other issues I mentioned as key factors above are got right;  if you have a connecting 165 / 166 pulling out just as a 125 pulls in with passengers who wish to connect, you're not going to do as well as if there was a 5 minute, cross-platform change.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 06:05:12 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
John R

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 20:44:49 »

^500m ish to create a railway that would serve two communities the size of Carmarthen and Aberystwyth is in cloud cuckoo land territory. You'd be better off using the interest payable on the loan required to build the link (let alone worrying about paying off the capital) to provide a free frequent high quality non stop coach service, which could do the journey in 90 mins (source theAA.com). 

Except that a bus is not a substitute for rail - that is the main thing Beeching got wrong.

I understand that, but we're looking at two populations each of less than 15,000, separated by 50 miles. So the passenger volumes would be negligible, and rail journey times probably no better than a non stop coach service, thus it would be more cost effective to provide a completely free bus service than spend the money to reopen the railway and then run it at a thumping loss. 
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2013, 12:16:22 »

It may be that some of the potential passengers use the frequent Arriva bus service between the two locations, which despite being rather slow on a long and winding road, takes considerably less than 6 hours. Perhaps connectivity could be improved with better value for money to the taxpayer with a few well-targeted road improvements. If there is public subsidy available, perhaps a properly specified bus or coach service which operates as if it were part of the rail network could be contracted?
Unfortunately Arriva's current service (complete with inadequate hours of operation) is commertial. They introduced this when the Welsh Government (via one of the local councils I believe) issued a tender to run an improved bus service with brand new Optare Tempo buses with wi-fi. Rather than compete for the tender and risk losing the route, Arriva went commertial and blocked the upgrade.

Except that a bus is not a substitute for rail - that is the main thing Beeching got wrong.
Indeed, there seems to be a very different attitude to buses compared to rail. Rail patronage has been growing (hopefully involving a fair amount of modal shift from cars) but bus travel doesn't seem to have the same appeal. Personally, I think that attitude needs to be challanged, and I think the TrawsCambria X40/X50/550/704 (Aberystwyth - Carmarthen, Aberaeron - Cardigan, Aberystwyth - Synod Inn & Synod Inn - Cardigan and Newtown - Merthyr), were starting to do that with their Optare Tempos (these routes all showed strong and/or growing patronage).

However, TrawsCambria is now dead. The Aberystwyth - Carmarthen service was supposed to be upgraded and rebranded as TrawsCymru TC1, with wi-fi and a 6am to 8pm service. Instead, Arriva introduced their own CymruExpress service, using Pulsars, and WAG» (Welsh Assembly Government - about) might now have diverted the new buses ordered for that service to Cardiff Airport. The first bus from Carmarthen on Saturdays now doesn't reach Aberystwyth until gone 11am and in the other direction the last through service is 17:15 from Aberystwyth.

I think a decent bus service would be a wiser move than a rail link, but if Arriva continues to stand in the way of a decent bus service then WAG should be exploring other options rather than ignoring this corridor completely.

Highly unlikely as you will need to make some modifcations ot the current route as the trackbed is too twisty and slow so Carmarthen - Aberystwyth is likely to take 1 hour 45 minutes at the very best.
I agree, I think there have been two petitions to the National Assembly for Wales petitions commitiee since I discovered it and the petitions committee response was that the train was even slower than today's bus service. North of Lampeter there is a straight bit though, so some 90mph running there coupled with a tunnel to miss the twistest section south of there might make a useful link, but at high cost.

I understand that, but we're looking at two populations each of less than 15,000, separated by 50 miles. So the passenger volumes would be negligible
The borders route will go to Edinburgh which is a massive centre of employment and should enable commuting to work within an hour for all the stations on the route.  Are Aberystwyth or Carmarthen a similar draw for the commuting population?  No.  And Swansea/Cardiff would be too far away to commute to.  So, if you don't have a large commuter base you're relying on tourists and day trippers to make up the numbers.  I don't see enough principal settlements or places of interest on the route to provide either in the numbers that would be required.  Are there really enough people out there that would use such a link to justify finding half-a-billion pounds (using Red Squirrel's estimate) to build it and then find more money to subsidise operating it?
Aberystwyth and Carmarthen are the principal settlements for the area. Aberystwyth station has over 0.3million passengers per year on a 2-hourly service to Birmingham, a 2-hourly direct service to Cardiff would be useful if a suitable line existed. Approaching Aberystwyth from the south in the morning during the school term the road is solid traffic at about walking pace right back to Llanfairian. The old TrawsCambria X40 had the largest passenger numbers of all TrawsCambria routes.

I do wonder whether a rail alignment could be constructed from Llanfairian to Aberystwyth and used (initially) as a bus-only road until replacment by rail if and when construction of a Carmarthen to Llanfairian route is feesible. This would allow buses to bypass the morning traffic jam and encourage modal shift to bus.

As the promoters are Carmarthen based, it's natural for them to look on the route from their town.  How about the alternative Builth Road to Moat Lane Junction - much shorter and you might get a link from the Cambrian coast back up to Bangor too for about your 50 miles.   Reconnecting Caernarvon (pop 10,000) to the main rail network, and joining all three of the railway sections in Wales.   

Yes - these all very long, speculative shots.   "Not in the foreseeable future", but then who would have foreseen 30 miles of railway coming back to Galashiels, pop 12,500, when the Waverley route was closed?
Personally, I think a Moat Lane route is a better idea for linking north-south than Carmarthen - Aberystwyth but the latter by itself would be an important strategic link. If the goal is north-south, I've heard roumors that Wales would be owed a Barnet consequential of arround ^1bn if the HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) 'Y-Network' goes ahead. If so, I'd suggest using that ^1bn for a Welsh-equivalent fast 'Y-Network'. This would have a maximum linespeed of 90mph rather than 200-odd, feature some upgraded track (on the Cambrian lines) rather than purely new-build and have some single-track sections. This would consist of:

Trunk
    • Merthyr - Brecon new route (roughly following A470) - electrified as part of the ValleyLines
    • Brecon - Builth Road (about 50/50 new route and reopenned line)
    • Builth Road - Rhayader reopenned line
    • Rhayader - Llanidloes new route
    • Llanidloes - Moat Lane reopenned line
    West Branch
    • Portmadog - Bryncir new route
    • Bryncir - Caernarfon - Bangor reopenned line
    East Branch
    • Welshpool - Oswestry - Gobowen reopenned line

Going on a ^9.8million per-mile rate derived from the Scottish borders railway project I guesstimate that you would just about get all 101miles of new railway from that ^1bn (the Cambrian upgrades and some of the tunnels would probably edge it over the ^1bn mark though). North of Brecon I would envisage an hourly service from Brecon to Newtown extending in alternate hours to Wrexham and Bangor/Holyhead.

----------------------------
    Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
    Chris from Nailsea
    Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
    « Reply #18 on: March 23, 2014, 18:47:08 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Study wanted on reopening Aberystwyth to Carmarthen rail link

Plaid AM Simon Thomas said building a rail line from Aberystwyth to Carmarthen could cost ^650m

A campaign group aiming to reopen a rail link between Aberystwyth and Carmarthen is to press for a feasibility study to be carried out.

It follows a debate on the proposal in the Welsh assembly which received cross-party support.

Traws Link Cymru said reopening the line, last used by passengers in 1965 and freight in 1973, would strengthen the economy of mid Wales. But the transport minister has said part of the track has been built on.

At a debate in the Senedd this month Mid Wales assembly members supported the group's idea to run the line from Carmarthen via Alltwalis, Llandysul or Pencader, Llanybydder, Lampeter, Tregaron, Llanilar, Llanfarian and Aberystwyth.

Leading the debate, Plaid Cymru AM Simon Thomas, said: "A new line is being built for the Borders region in Scotland which is 31 miles long and will cost something like ^11m per mile. That would mean the cost of constructing a similar line from Carmarthen to Aberystwyth would be ^650m at most. That is a significant amount of money but different engineering proposals could bring the cost down."

Mr Thomas added that more people live along the proposed Aberystwyth-Carmarthen line (55,000) than live along the Aberystwyth-Shrewsbury rail link (50,000).

But Transport Minister Edwina Hart told the Senedd "a significant portion of the track bed has been built on". She added: "For example the line into Lampeter is now home to a supermarket and a car park." The minister said she would discuss with officials whether any more representations could be made about the plan.

Following a Traws Link Cymru meeting at Lampeter on Thursday, a spokesman said the group would campaign for the Welsh government to conduct a feasibility study into reopening the line. He added: "We need to brief assembly members about the fine detail of the proposed route to ensure the minister is better briefed about it."

Liberal Democrat Mid and West Wales AM William Powell said a new rail link would be "extremely valuable in the context of wider transport links to Swansea, Cardiff and beyond". European funds were potentially available if a full feasibility study was completed, Mr Powell added. "This could embrace not only EU» (European Union - about) structural funds, but also the Luxembourg-based European Investment Bank (EIB). I know from a recent EIB briefing that I attended that they are keen to support innovative transport infrastructure proposals."

Labour Mid and West Wales AM Joyce Watson said: "I certainly support the idea. It is the glaring gap in Wales's rail network. However, there are obvious money issues, not least the fact that funding for rail infrastructure sits with the UK (United Kingdom) government."

Russell George, Conservative AM for Montgomeryshire. said he also supported the proposal, adding "In rural Wales, it's important that communities are connected."

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
    anthony215

View Profile Email
    « Reply #19 on: March 23, 2014, 21:53:29 »

Sure it would be to have this line re-opened but I think it would struggle to justify the cost of re-opening especially with the route being pretty slow compared to the roads.

Of course if a business case can be done for it and the linespeeds improved then by all means re-open the line a hourly service to/from Swansea  I think would be popular
    Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #20 on: March 30, 2014, 10:53:04 »

Sure it would be to have this line re-opened but I think it would struggle to justify the cost of re-opening especially with the route being pretty slow compared to the roads.

Of course if a business case can be done for it and the linespeeds improved then by all means re-open the line a hourly service to/from Swansea  I think would be popular
    Yep, the speed is an issue. Also, your comment of an hourly service to Swansea highlights another issue, the range of detinations at the Carmarthen end is poor.

In my opinion, it isn't worth building a new or reopened railway unless:
    • The route proposed can give a journey time of 1hr 30mins or (prefrably) faster AND
    • An hourly express service between Carmarthen and Cardiff, taking 1hr 25mins MAXIMUM, is introduced, with a programme of linespeed improvements planned to reduce the time further
    The former makes the line itself time-competitive and the latter widens the potential pool of destinations to include major trip generators such as Cardiff. My idea then would be to extend that hourly Cardiff express to/from Aberystwyth every two hours (in the other hours it would extend to/from Milford Haven instead and Aberystwyth would have a service to/from Swansea).

Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
    grahame
    Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
    « Reply #21 on: January 18, 2015, 08:19:55 »

From the Carmarthen Journal

http://www.carmarthenjournal.co.uk/Hopes-90-minute-Carmarthen-Aberystwyth-rail-link/story-25883713-detail/story.html?

CAMPAIGNERS have spoken of their hopes of an hour and a half journey time between Carmarthen and Aberystwyth if the rail line can be reopened.

More than 100 people attended a meeting to discuss the ambitious plans.

The meeting in Aberystwyth was organised by campaign group Traws Link Cymru

The line closed in 1965 and at that time the journey took almost three hours, stopping at over 20 stations.

However a relaunch of the line which is almost 60 miles in length could cost around ^650 million.

Traws Link Cymru is trying to get funding for a feasibility study.

The meeting heard that around 3 per cent of the track bed has been built on but campaigners  said that was no obstacle to reopening the line.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
    Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #22 on: January 29, 2015, 10:58:14 »

The meeting heard that around 3 per cent of the track bed has been built on but campaigners  said that was no obstacle to reopening the line.
    There are a few major obstacles to a new line actually, from the south end north:
    • The Gwili steam railway, and a very slow, twisty, section of the former route just north of it. This would probably require one or more new tunnels, as far as I can tell from a map
    • Llanfarian village, which appears to have built extensively on the old line
    • One house, seemingly bang on the trackbed, at Rhydyfelin
    • Penparcau, where a substantial hill would probably need to be tunneled through (the old route into Aberystwyth has been built on, and along with Llanfarian this seems to account for most of the 3% of lost track bed)
    • Park Avenue / Boulevard De St Brieuc, which as far as I can see would require a new level crossing (hence my interest in the Portishead debate)
    • and, maybe, London Bridge (yes, really)
    A possible solution to the last 5 has been proposed here, taking a very different route and approaching Aberystwyth from the east down the Vale Of Rehidol rather than the from the south. I'd be very supprised if you can do that without a really long new tunnel.

eightf48544
    Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
    « Reply #23 on: January 29, 2015, 13:22:08 »

Reading the posts it seems to me that much I would like to see new/reopened lines in Wales the only really pratical one is Bangor - Caernarfon. Which would give access to the National Network for Caernarfon residents and a great tourist route incrporating the Welsh Highland and Ffestingiog giving roud trips from from the North Wales coast.

Also how about an all year round diesel railcar service on the WHR and FR? For locals and winter climbers. 

Caenarfon like Galashields would need a run round. Capacity might have to be increased on the Llandudno - Bleanau Ffestiniog Line.

Otherwise I agree with the comments tha it is no good just reopening a line you have to run a train service that people want to use which is morning trains to big town to arrive before 09:00 and connections where apprriate to London/nearest city. Off peak trains for shopping and early evening ones for entertainment. Return journies between 16:00 and 19:00 for workers and city connections plus late evening for entertainment and city.
    Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #24 on: January 31, 2015, 21:41:22 »

A question from a member of the audience at the Aberystwyth TrawsLinkCymru meeting was whether a light-rail or guided busway could be alternatives to a new Carmarthen - Aberystwyth heavy rail line. My first thought was that there would be no point, given my opinion (as stated above) that the journey time would need to beat the car in order to justfiy the large investment in building the line. However, given that I cannot see a way to do the rail project in phase, I have started to wonder whether you could build parts of it as dedicated bus infrustructure. Then, if you ever completed the entire route, you could convert it to a railway. There are a number of open questions relating to that:

1. which is cheapest to build: road (which would be bus-only), rail or guided busway?
    2. which would be easier to convert to a railway at a later date, road or guided busway?
    3. are there any advantages of a guided busway over a dedicated, bus-only, road?

grahame
    Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
    « Reply #25 on: January 31, 2015, 22:00:02 »

Some guesses to answers.  I know nothing much about these things, so these are foolish passenger guesses!

1. which is cheapest to build: road (which would be bus-only), rail or guided busway?
    Don't know, but I suspect rail v bus depends on what you're starting from.  Busway always most expensive?

2. which would be easier to convert to a railway at a later date, road or guided busway?
    Road, BUT you only ask "easier". Neither would be easy.

3. are there any advantages of a guided busway over a dedicated, bus-only, road?
    a) Potentially it attracts serious EEC and other development / experimentation funding which a road does not
    b) In the event of a political change in the future, it safeguards the route for a limited vehicle set
    c) It gives you more publicity than you would get from building a road

ellendune
    Transport Scholar

View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: January 31, 2015, 22:05:42 »

Certainly not guided busway if Cambridge is anything to go by!

Probably not much difference unless you engineered the busway as slab track ready - still very expensive though!

Not that I can think of.

However....

Busways are only normally proposed in urban or other areas where congestion make car journeys very slow.  Now although the standard of roads in West Wales may make car journeys seem slow, I don't recall congestion being a major issue (unless you count being stuck behind a tractor).  

The idea of a bus-way bus only road in such a location will never stack up on any cost benefit analysis.  Based on Cambridge costs a bus-way would cost over ^600 million. If the money is spent on roads is will be for piecemeal improvement of the A487 which could achieve similar journey time improvements at a fraction of that cost. That would have no option of conversion to railway.

No either set out to reopen the railway or not.

a) Potentially it attracts serious EEC and other development / experimentation funding which a road does not
    b) In the event of a political change in the future, it safeguards the route for a limited vehicle set
    c) It gives you more publicity than you would get from building a road

Again these arguments would only really work in a congested urban area.
    Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #27 on: January 31, 2015, 23:45:22 »

Thanks for the answers so far, but other's views are welcome too.

A busway sounds rather pointless so far then, except perhaps stopping somebody openning the route up for cars in future. A road being only for buses is may generate some agrument from motorists and therefore possibly some extra publicity.

Now although the standard of roads in West Wales may make car journeys seem slow, I don't recall congestion being a major issue (unless you count being stuck behind a tractor).
    Does walking-pace traffic for over a mile and a half along the A487 count? Hit Aberystwyth at the wrong time on a school/college morning and chances are you will see just that. There are lorries to get stuck behind too, lots of 'em.

Based on Cambridge costs a bus-way would cost over ^600 million. If the money is spent on roads is will be for piecemeal improvement of the A487 which could achieve similar journey time improvements at a fraction of that cost. That would have no option of conversion to railway.
    ^600m for how much busway? The whole distance from Aberystwyth to Carmarthen? If so, that's similar to what has been guestimated for the railway and if not, then the railway is a clear winner.

The 1.5mile section of the A487 that I mentioned above is rather boxed-in by houses, no room to dual it I strongly suspect. Thus, it would require an all-new alignment for bus-road/busway, which could in theory be designed as a future rail route (I've mentioned my idea for a bus-only road on just that section on this fourm before now).

ellendune
    Transport Scholar

View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: February 01, 2015, 09:13:09 »

A busway sounds rather pointless so far then...

Couldn't agree more

Now although the standard of roads in West Wales may make car journeys seem slow, I don't recall congestion being a major issue (unless you count being stuck behind a tractor).
    Does walking-pace traffic for over a mile and a half along the A487 count? Hit Aberystwyth at the wrong time on a school/college morning and chances are you will see just that. There are lorries to get stuck behind too, lots of 'em.

In places like Bristol the whole city is gridlocked in the peak.  Its a different scale. In Swindon some of my colleagues drive 5 miles to work.  Off peak it can be done in 15 minutes.  In the peak it takes over an hour! It is nearly as fast to walk! That is congestion.  Oh and the bus would go 10 miles, involve changing buses, taking even longer and still leave a 10 minute walk from the bus to the office!

Based on Cambridge costs a bus-way would cost over ^600 million. If the money is spent on roads is will be for piecemeal improvement of the A487 which could achieve similar journey time improvements at a fraction of that cost. That would have no option of conversion to railway.
    ^600m for how much busway? The whole distance from Aberystwyth to Carmarthen? If so, that's similar to what has been guestimated for the railway and if not, then the railway is a clear winner.

The Cambridge busway was 15 miles and cost about ^200 million. Carmarthen to Aberystwyth is 49 miles I simply multiplied by three!

The 1.5mile section of the A487 that I mentioned above is rather boxed-in by houses, no room to dual it I strongly suspect. Thus, it would require an all-new alignment for bus-road/busway, which could in theory be designed as a future rail route (I've mentioned my idea for a bus-only road on just that section on this fourm before now).

If that is the only really congested section then sort that.  Once it is established as a bus lane that serves local buses I think it would be very difficult to persuade people that it should be converted to a railway. 

Perhaps if a new corridor is created for a bus route then the corridor should be wide enough to incorporate a railway at a later date?
    MarkRanger

View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: February 02, 2015, 13:05:03 »

The Cambridge busway did indeed cost getting on for ^200m to build, and an alarming list of recently found defects might add up to another ^150m to the bill. That's for a 12 mile route that is guided where it doesn't need to be (in open country) and unguided where it should be (into the city centre).

Ultra Light Rail is a possibility and there is track that can be laid at an estimated ^350k per route kilometre. ULR suffers from lack of examples - the Parry system at Stourbridge does not seem to count, and there are new stye units in development that bridge the perception gap more effectively between tram and train. ULR badly needs a test case to prove its worth.

Having a guided busway does mean that the trackbed is preserved - as would asphalt I guess - but the busway comes with the added environmental aspect of concrete, I think Cambridge has 100,000 tonnes of it in 12 miles.

I don't know the route you are talking about, but I would have thought for a rural operation, the answer is none. A busway does allow for rapid passing, but it has scant operational flexibility (each busway is a groove that you can only get off of at designated points where the speed has to be reduced at about 10mph). It also has a nasty habit of attracting vehicles trying to drive on it

I think the key point is what will attract more traffic - bus or train (whether it is ULR or heavy rail), and the answer to that is surely train?
    Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
      Print  

Jump to: