19/04/24 06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
19/04/24 06:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
19/04/24 07:13 Great Malvern to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 03:30:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Carmarthen and Aberystwyth  (Read 34407 times)
MarkRanger

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2015, 09:12:54 »

Some more background that may help those who are not convinced by the guided bus hype.The text below was provided by our group CAST.IRON - the people who opposed the Cambridge busway - to the local media in response to a recent question about busways:

We still do not believe there is any tangible evidence of the ^success^ of the Cambridgeshire Guided Busway scheme in terms of it being a proven, better alternative than coordinated train and bus services appropriate to any given area. The constant stream of passenger number statistics doesn^t tell us anything because it doesn^t analyse journeys not made on the guided sections. The statistics cover Peterborough to Trumpington but between Cambridge station and Milton road, and north of St Ives, the buses are the same as any other.

In short, we don^t accept that the guideway is what is driving the passenger numbers; and we believe much wider benefits would have come with reinstatement of the railway.

The problem with the Cambridgeshire scheme is that it obliterated a viable rail route on an alignment that makes geographical sense as a railway, not as a bus route; for buses to derive benefits from the segregation of the guideway they have to travel well over a mile along congested streets in the wrong direction. Meanwhile a route that could be part of the local, regional, national and international rail network is lost.

The minimum journey time from Cambridge station to St Ives on the busway is 42 minutes subject to congestion in Cambridge. The same route by railway would have been less than 20 minutes.

CAST.IRON does not have a particular view on the viability of guided busways elsewhere although we did do some detailed work on the construction side of things and showed that the volume and mass of material required (for the guideways) is many times greater than for a railway with a much lower potential for maximum passengers carried. This is one of the reasons why there have been such serious construction and maintenance problems on the Cambridgeshire scheme.

We believe guided busways generally offer poor value for money compared with integrated rail and bus schemes. Unfortunately for Cambridgeshire, the only money on the table was for an exclusive busway.

==

Note that last comment about money - there was a lot of government ringfencing going on to get what they wanted - a substantial busway

More background info at www.castiron.org.uk
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2015, 11:23:51 »

There were two others I wondered about ... Corby and Sinfin.

Sinfin, it turns out, falls outside your "30 year" request as it re-opened in 1976.   There were two stations on the branch, one only with access to factories, and the other primarily for factories although with a public footpath access available.

The line reopened on 4 October 1976 for passengers as Derby City Council's attempt to copy the new Cross City Line in Birmingham. The service was poorly used because of the time of the last train and because it was served by only four trains per day

I'm going to suggest that the original Corby was a success initially, and that Sinfin was a special case.  In neither case do I have access to the forecasts made at the time they re-opened; did Corby fail not through lack of passengers but through lack of a long term funding strategy?

Following up on an old post (but on a thread / topic that's been very much live), I came across extra comment on the Sinfin branch:
http://www.railchronology.free-online.co.uk/Sinfin%20branch.htm

On Corby, the closure of the initial 'trial' even with good numbers because of - it seems - the lack of a longer term solution in those days has provided us on the TransWilts with a warning example that even with passengers standing 6 days out of 7, we need(ed) to have an eye forward to 2017.  I am clearly relieved by the 23.3.2015 announcements, though there remains a need to ensure continued good ridership, local support, and to have a benign and co-operative on things to ensure nothing becomes disconnected in the even of delays / upheavals, as so nearly happened when the West Coast Franchise got "pulled" and everything else was put on hold ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2016, 20:42:15 »

From the Daily Post - an answer to a question  upthread:

Reopening Caernarfon to Bangor train line 'would be cheaper than ^100m bypass'

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2016, 21:25:01 »

From the Cambrian News

PLANS to reopen the Aberystwyth-Carmarthen railway line have been cast into doubt following the vote to leave the EU» (European Union - about), according to Assembly Member Elin Jones.

As a more general comment, I wonder how many other schemes will be set back (or stated to be set back)  because of the vote.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2016, 05:20:47 »

Hmm......were there any *physical* plan or just still on the wishlist? Had Grip3 been done?
John R

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2016, 07:12:27 »

At the very earliest stage of the wish list.  I'd describe them more as dreams than plans at this stage.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2016, 11:06:52 »

so not really delayed at all....
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2016, 16:20:34 »

At the very earliest stage of the wish list.  I'd describe them more as dreams than plans at this stage.

And I will eat my hat if they ever get beyond the 'dream' stage, whatever the financial state of the nation!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2016, 12:46:37 »

And I will eat my hat if they ever get beyond the 'dream' stage, whatever the financial state of the nation!
I think you mean 'if it ever gets built'. They've already had a scoping study done and obtained a grant of £2500 from Aberystwyth Town Council to get footage of the line from the air, which sounds to me like it is slightly beyond the dream stage.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2016, 15:14:00 »

Yes, I would agree with you there.  Alter the word 'dream' to 'GRIP (Guide to Railway Investment Projects) 3'  Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: