Foundation, Beatties of London (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:18 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 23:01:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[260] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[200] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[54] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[48] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[23] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[22] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW on Chiltern line  (Read 22334 times)
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2013, 12:14:08 »

What units are they using 165s or one of the 172s? It's a few years since I travelled on it and even then when I think it went through to Aylesbury via Pricnces Risborough I was outnumbered by staff.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2013, 12:30:33 »

165s...
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2013, 17:48:16 »

I wonder if the service were offered in one (or both) of the peaks, if it would actually be used by passengers?

I'm assuming the "down" service is more popular as enthusiasts (let's face it, they are probably the only ones using this service) are likely to come from Central London (having travelled there from elsewhere) than from Ruislip.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2013, 18:13:35 »

But presumably the stock is needed for the Marylebone service in the peak hour. One sole departure from Paddington would be pointless in the peak - miss it by 30 seconds and then you have to go back to Marylebone. Also there may be insufficient platform space at Paddington in the peak.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2013, 21:54:58 »

The Chiltern Paddington Parly serves two purposes.

One is to retain diversionary route knowledge for Chiltern drivers and guards and the other is to hold off the necessary legal processes that would have to be started if there was a cessation of passengers services over the line between Old Oak Common and Northolt Junction. One of those processes would be a public inquiry. Its not just station closures that require proper legal process. Sections of line are also covered by the same legal requirements if their passenger service is to be removed.

Easier all round to have a token service rather than formally close the line to passenger services.

That said, sometimes the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) do fupp up, as was the case with the line between Acton East Junction and Mitre Bridge Junction in West London. When CrossCountry services to/from Brighton were withdrawn, this section of line lost its passenger service, but there was no statutory public inquiry. The crude fix for this error by the DfT was a once a week, in one direction only, rail replacement bus between two stations (Ealing Broadway and Kensington Olympia) that were approximate to the rail route that had lost its passenger service.

Plans to resume a rail service over this section of line have not come to fruition. This despite it being written into the tender for the South Central franchise starting in September 2009. The franchise winner, Southern Railway have been given a derogation permitting them not to provide a rail service over this section of line due to logistical and rolling stock issues. Thus the DfT funded bus service continues although formal withdrawal of the passenger service over this section of line is currently in process. I believe (although I'm open to correction) that this is still to be ratified. The other section of line affected by the withdrawal of the CrossCountry services to/from Brighton - Latchmere No 1 Junction - Latchmere No 3 Junction - to the east of Clapham Junction, has a once daily rail service in each direction, provided by Southern, between Wandsworth Road and Kensington Olympia stations.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 22:01:55 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2013, 22:05:14 »

There were moves to withdraw the two parliamentary services in West London but it all seems to have gone a bit quiet now. There was a consultation on it I believe.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2013, 22:10:46 »

I was the only passenger on it when I traveled on it back in december the only other people on the train was the driver and the guard
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2013, 22:23:54 »

Travelled from Paddington to West Ruislip with Chiltern a few weeks back. Just me and one other passenger. Two drivers, two guards.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: