16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
Delayed
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 16:16:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[269] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[101] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[44] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[41] Signage - not making it easy ...
[8] IETs at Melksham
[7] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Request for speed limits on Oxford - Marylebone services  (Read 6738 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 02, 2013, 12:41:08 »

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/10647002._/?

TRAINS going through Oxford on the new ^130m rail link to Marylebone will be travelling at a minimum of 60mph ^ despite a lengthy campaign for lower speeds.

Residents ^ particularly in Wolvercote ^ claim their lives would be disrupted by noise and vibration from trains at high speed.

They had urged Chiltern Railways to run trains at a lower speed limit ^ suggesting a trial period of 50mph. But the company has confirmed the speed limits of its trains through Oxford in an application to the Office of Rail Regulation.

Now sure if we have covered this aspect before?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 13:44:14 »

NIMBYS......plenty of conditions as Chiltern states in the article requiring noise limits
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 16:46:20 »

The inspectors report did this to death, as you'd expect.

There are dozens of pages of objections based predominantly on the noise and vibration effects of the proposed speeds, and they are all dealt with.  Just why they think a subsequent petition might change anything is beyond me.

Paul
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 17:34:50 »

Perhaps best to speed the trains up so it's over with more quickly.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 18:42:01 »

There are so many ways to reduce noise and vibration without reducing speed.  Rail profile, flange lubricators on curves, fiction modifiers, the type of pads between the rail and sleeper.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 19:31:28 »

I've recently moved and almost back onto the Chiltern Mainline and Central Line near West Ruislip.  I've noticed the faster trains are actually the quietest.  The noisy bit is the diesel engines, the tube trains passing over a set of points and the nightly whistle test at Ruislip depot.  The movement of the train itself is hardly noticeable when the windows are shut.

Having said this, I knew it was there when I moved in.  If it were built afterwards* then I'd be a little miffed....

* = Fortunately I will be on the tunnelled section of HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)).  But I'm renting anyway so it isn't too much of a problem for me.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 08:23:28 »

Agree with Brucey fastest are quietest, don't notice HSTs (High Speed Train) at full chat but if one crawls by one notices it and waits for the next one to see if there's  major disruption building up.

Just a thought how fast are Vomiters past these houses?
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 13:11:18 »

We have dicussed the problems about noise before on this forum.

When my parents moved into the current house the traffic outside on the main road was pretty loud however as time has moved on we dont really take any notice unless it is a very heavy lorry during the early hours of the morning.

The same with one of my freinds who lives near the SWML (South Western Mail Line) @ Pyle who has said that the hst's go flying through at hig speed and even if you notice the noise it is gone within a few seconds or so. Now the problem is with the heavy steel trains from Margam is they are following amber signals so they crawl through Pyle causing a bit of a racket. fir play the local housing developers who built a housing estate near to Pyle station did warn that there was a busy railway line  close by.

These residents in Oxford should in my personal opinion put up and shut up a bit like those idiots in Bristol close to thePortbury branch threatening to cause some disruption to freight services. Ideally homebuyers should do some research when they are purchasing a property close to a railway line, Airport etc.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: