Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:35 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:11 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:32 Exeter Central to Okehampton
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:41:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Naming of Bicester London Road / Town  (Read 13747 times)
81F
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« on: August 02, 2013, 10:00:07 »

Has any consideration been given to the naming of the station at the south end of Bicester. When I was a lad it was called London Road, but since re-opening it has been called Bicester Town.

As far as many visitors to Bicester are concerned, it should surely be re-named Bicester Village, as that "outlet centre" is the destination of thousands of visitors each month. I am sure that as soon as through trains start running from Marylebone, many tourists from all over the world will take advantage of the new link, to stock up on last year's fashions.

Perhaps it should be known as "Bicester Town, for Bicester Village"?
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 12:15:01 »

i would imagine promotion of Bicester Town for Bicester Village is in the forefront of Chilterns plans!

Once the link is up and running look out for the ads,  special offers (discount vouchers with rail tickets) etc.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 15:49:40 »

I think Bicester Town is going to become an extremely busy station in the future especially once the east-west route is completed and electrified.

Hopefully we will see a return of the direct Bristol - Oxford service which could then continue over the east-west route to Either Milton Keynes or to Bedford and further north to Nottingham.

If the GW (Great Western) starts running local services between Milton Keynes and Reading perhaps these could be interworked with the proposed Reading - Heathrow Airport services unless they become part of Crossrail.

Certainly the owners of the Bicester Villiage shopping outlet can certainly expect a sharp increase in visitor numbers
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 17:40:03 »

It's a shame that there isn't a single interchange station, as Bicester will have 3 / 4 tph to London, but only effectively 2 tph (if you've parked at one station, you can't really come back to the other).

Unfortunately Chiltern can't use the Oxford service to axe more Bicester North stops, as it would affect Bicester to B'ham commuters.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 17:57:15 »

It's a shame that there isn't a single interchange station, as Bicester will have 3 / 4 tph to London, but only effectively 2 tph (if you've parked at one station, you can't really come back to the other).

A station at the point where the East-West line crosses the London-Birmingham line?  How sharp is the Oxford - London curve?  Could a platform be built on that curve to be in effect a triangular station like Shipley?

All you need to do then is move Bicester Village Outlet centre a mile to the new station (I've look at that on the map / just an estimate of the distance!)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 20:39:47 »

Unfortunately Chiltern can't use the Oxford service to axe more Bicester North stops, as it would affect Bicester to B'ham commuters.

Always an axe...

Now, please!
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 21:19:27 »

A station at the point where the East-West line crosses the London-Birmingham line?  How sharp is the Oxford - London curve?  Could a platform be built on that curve to be in effect a triangular station like Shipley?

A curved platform and/or a platform on a significant gradient would not be allowed under current group standards, AFAICT (as far as I can tell).  There are always dispensations available if there is absolutely no alternative, but I doubt they'd be allowed here.

http://www.rgsonline.co.uk/Railway_Group_Standards/Infrastructure/Railway%20Group%20Standards/GIRT7016%20Iss%203.pdf

Page 7 Part 2 refers...

Paul
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 21:30:12 by paul7755 » Logged
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 00:23:54 »

In this instance platforms wouldn't be needed.

London to Bicester to B'ham served by existing route.

Oxford to Bicester to Milton Keynes served by new EWR.

Then the (probably already packed) Oxford to London trains curve round and miss Bicester and have their journey time sped up (hopefully the pointless Islip station can be axed as well as Chiltern clearly want).

Simples.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 01:34:16 »

Simples.

Not to me ... but then it's early in the morning.    Are you suggesting
a) Closing the current Bicester Town and making people walk from the Village to the new station?
b) Having two stations on the East-West line - one at Town and one at Junction
c) Moving Bicester Village to be adjacent to the new Junction station, and missing the stop anyway on Oxford / London?
d) Another option I haven't thought of?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
CLPGMS

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 10:18:37 »

hopefully the pointless Islip station can be axed as well

I wonder what those who made the 29126 passenger journeys to/from Islip in 2011/12 would feel about their station being regarded as "pointless".
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 12:46:55 »

hopefully the pointless Islip station can be axed as well

I wonder what those who made the 29126 passenger journeys to/from Islip in 2011/12 would feel about their station being regarded as "pointless".

Context, Gentlemen.   "100 people were given 100 seconds to name as many of the top 30 stations in the UK (United Kingdom) National network in terms of passenger numbers using them, according to the office of the rail regulator".  TV quiz program 'Pointless', quite recent edition.   And two of the top thirty were indeed 'pointless' in that no-one guessed them!

Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 14:24:10 »

And two of the top thirty were indeed 'pointless' in that no-one guessed them!

Come on Grahame, don't leave us hanging! What were they?

Whilst Islip has a modest number of passengers, it has seen quite a sharp rise in useage in recent years. In any case, over half of the new Oxford/Water Eaton to Marylebone services won't stop at Islip anyway, so I think it would be a bit harsh to call for taking away any more stops from that station!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2013, 14:36:58 »

And two of the top thirty were indeed 'pointless' in that no-one guessed them!

Come on Grahame, don't leave us hanging! What were they?

Blackfriars and Fenchurch Street

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013, 18:41:13 »

Hmmm, I thought that Bicester Town is quite near the proposed junction, but having looked at at a map, I'm wrong.

Still, the situation in Bicester will be annoying for Bicesterians!

Islip commuters should use Water Eaton Parkway. It will become a pointless station and will probably cost Chiltern more in fuel to stop than they'll get from fares! Indeed, if a call pushes the journey time over the all important 59 minute mark, then it could cost them a lot.

It will be the "Finstock" of the Chiltern line, withering on with no-one having the nerve to close it.

Hopefully, they'll just shove the franchise commitment calls to silly o clock hours to close it by stealth. The only reason it has so many passengers now, is that it acts as a mini parkway for Oxford, Water Eaton is basically replacing it.

In this day and age of constant fare hikes, you cannot justify keeping these halts open, pretending we're still in the 1950s. See also: Cotswold halts train!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2013, 19:08:07 »

The only reason it has so many passengers now, is that it acts as a mini parkway for Oxford, Water Eaton is basically replacing it.

No it doesn't.  There's rarely more than half a dozen or so cars in the car park which can hold around 35 cars.  I'm a little surprised it doesn't attract more parkway commuters into Oxford, but it doesn't despite the OBRAG usergroup trying to push for the car park to be used more.

What it does do is nicely serve a small village community with a pretty good service for a station its size, in a similar manner to nearby Heyford.  It will continue to do so, though the number of trains may well drop to around 7 a day if Chiltern's proposals go through when the new service starts in 2016.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: