Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:21 Reading to Gatwick Airport
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:44 London Paddington to Hereford
19:08 London Paddington to Swindon
19:44 Swindon to London Paddington
Delayed
17:53 Weymouth to Bristol Temple Meads
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 20:50:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[177] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[88] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[56] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[54] access for all at Devon stations report
[34] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[28] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: **Poll**: First Great Western are an incompetent company? What do you think should happen to it?
Leave it as it is, FGW (First Great Western) will improve in time.
End the First Great Western franchise immediately, and let another company take over.
Split the franchise into two: (1) For local services; (2) For express and commuter services. Let other companies take over them.
Split the franchise into two: (1) For local services; (2) For express and commuter services. Let First Group take one, and another company take the other.
Let the government take over the operation of the line (like they did to Connex in the South East).

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Oh First Great Western, what shall we do?  (Read 42270 times)
Btline

View Profile
« on: December 20, 2007, 19:41:07 »

Something has to be done! What do you think?
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 08:57:31 »

Any other company would have the same problems of massive and somewhat stupid franchise payments if they had been the winning bidder, not to forget the appauling infrastructure!
12hoursunday

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 09:21:41 »

Any other company would have the same problems of massive and somewhat stupid franchise payments if they had been the winning bidder, not to forget the appauling infrastructure!

CORRECT

Some people think it will all change overnight with a change of franchise ownership. How wrong they are. Better the devil you know!
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 09:51:28 »

CORRECT

Some people think it will all change overnight with a change of franchise ownership. How wrong they are. Better the devil you know!

You are right in theory but I am not sure that that is what woudl happen in practice.  If FGW (First Great Western) got booted off, I doubt any new franchise would be as poorly specified or as greedy on teh part of the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) as the FGW one.  If you think about the connex franchise things did improve (and more money was spent) when SET (Super Express Train (now IET)) took over.  On teh other hand when GNER (Great North Eastern Railways) couldn't keep up with teh payments and gave up teh francise was transfered to NX on teh back of a bid with even larger payments to DfT
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 10:17:03 »

The main problem (whatever your view of who is to blame) is public perception. FGW (First Great Western) need to turn things round quickly PR (Public Relations)-wise and on the ground, otherwise things will just (in the mind of the general public, who vote) get worse for them.

The DfT» (Department for Transport - about) wont stand back forever, even if ultimately stripping FGW of their franchise would come across as a partially hypocritical act.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 15:56:34 »

If the franchise changed hands nothing would happen. If it split in two, like it used to be, it might change for the better.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 19:27:55 »

I personally believe that removing the First Great Western franchise would be good.

Remember, it was THEIR fault that they introduced an abysmal timetable!!!!!!!!!!

It was THIER fault too much capacity was removed.

It was THEIR fault that they did not revert to the old timetable.

They give a poor customer service- THEIR fault.

I also think that the franchise is too big. FGW (First Great Western) are obviously only interested in the InterCity (minus the Cotswold Line) services and the London commuter services. That's why they axed services on the branch lines and at Ivybridge.

I am fed up of Alison Forster/Andrew Haynes/any other person saying "we are sorry...blah...blah... we are trying very hard to improve x....blah....blah. "

Rubbish- they have had over a year, and several timetable changes. And yet they are still disgraceful. I also cannot believe they are getting rid of the Class 180s. Ok, they were unreliable, but we are talking about 1000s of seats here being magiced away from a company with critical overcrowding, on some services, and some lines with a poor level of service.

As George Osbourne said recently to Gordon Brown: "Forget your 'vision.' Get a grip ... and deliver a basic level of competence!"
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 19:40:06 »

1)Remember, it was THEIR fault that they introduced an abysmal timetable!!!!!!!!!!

2)It was THIER fault too much capacity was removed.

3)Rubbish- they have had over a year, and several timetable changes. And yet they are still disgraceful. I also cannot believe they are getting rid of the Class 180s. Ok, they were unreliable, but we are talking about 1000s of seats here being magiced away from a company with critical overcrowding, on some services, and some lines with a poor level of service.

1) The D(a)fT specifies the timetable that is to be run and FGW (First Great Western) have actually INCREASED the amount of services that were in the specified timetable, as a matter of fact, FGW are running too many trains and the infrastructure is often able to cope.

2) The D(a)fT specifies who has what stock and it was their decision that a number of 150s/153s/158s were lost at the start of the franchise

3) The 180s are actually being replaced with higher capacity HSTs (High Speed Train) with far more seats. There may be a lack of stock at the moment as the refurbishement is still on going and not all the HSTs are in service.
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 22:21:16 »

well said Devon Metro!!! at times people on here need to get a grip of the facts ..and refrain from fgw bashing because its the in thing to do........and whoever said 180s are OK should spend 8 hrs a day on one

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 12:28:25 »

Well said old pal! The DFT (Department for Transport) are the real villians in all this! FGW (First Great Western) have 12 more units than the franchise spec, are running more trains etc etc, what IS FGW's fault is that fact that they won't publicly criticise NR» (Network Rail - home page) or the DFT!
Superwang

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2007, 22:17:11 »

Would Sir Richard Branson do any better if he had the chance to take over the franchise?

Yes he would still have to encounter the same daily operating problems as now but at least moral of the staff would be raised and Sir Richard would listen to his staff for suggestions

Perhaps moral is a good place to start with management talking to its staff who listen to the passengers comments and problems daily..........a few new fresh ideas would help things along to improve matters

After all, no staff no company, but more important the passenger is king and should be treated as such
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 00:01:34 »

Would Sir Richard Branson do any better if he had the chance to take over the franchise?

Hmmmmmm, "Virgin Great Western," maybe.

He would certainly order some new trains to replace HSTs (High Speed Train) on long distances. Then the HSTs would relieve overcrowding on local lines.

But would this be good (HSTs are better than those awful Voyagers).

He might do really well (like Virgin West Coast).

Or maybe, he would muck it up even more (like Virgin Cross Country).

Personally, anyone could do better than Worst Late Western!
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2007, 00:20:38 »

Personally i think he did a damn fine job on CC!

Doubling the passenger figures over the length of time he had the franchise i no mean feat...

I'd love to have seen virgin take over FGW (First Great Western)'s routes, but unfortunatly i cant see it happening for the forseable future.

Also i don't see what all the fuss is about voyagers/super voyagers, as from the 7 hour trip i made on 1 a year or so ago they were no worse than a HST (High Speed Train)!
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2007, 09:07:47 »

I find Voyagers horriable - unless the engine in the carrige I am in is switched off - I find 180's a lot better, in comfort - vibrations - noise - legroom.

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2007, 09:19:23 »

And HSTs (High Speed Train) even better. I couldn't imagine sitting on top of an engine for 5 hours from somewhere like Penzance - Paddington
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: