27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 00:35:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[112] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[63] Where have I been?
[62] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[52] Death of another bus station?
[46] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is a break coach?  (Read 8892 times)
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« on: August 10, 2013, 09:25:20 »

This was triggered my my son thumbing through a "well loved" copy of the Hornby catalogue and asked me what a brake coach was. Now I have all sorts of theories about this but I can't find an actual explanation.

Traditionally was a break coach located at the rear end of a train from the engine?

Thanks

Dave
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 09:51:05 »

You've used too different breaks there, 'brake' and 'break'. Two very different things...

I don't know, but my guess is a brake coach has brakes operated by the guard so that if a coupling snaps the guard can stop one end of a train using the brake coach and the loco can stop the other end. Consequentially, when possible I marshal a brake coach at both ends of my model trains so that there's always one on the back (so no carriages would be lost if one coupling gives way if it was a real train) when the loco runs round.

However, I'm probably wrong since the WAG» (Welsh Assembly Government - about) Express (back when it included 3 mrk2s) had only one brake coach, so it was at the front (behind the loco) in one direction and on the back in the other.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 09:55:39 »

Many thanks - the spelling I should have used was "brake"...

Yes, I get your meaning...

Thanks again
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 10:01:20 »

You haven't used too many different brake / break spellings - both have been used at different times to describe the same vehicle.

In the olden days, yes, a brake coach or more commonly brake van was situated at the back of (especially) a goods train. There was no continuous braking on goods wagons, and the brake van was equipped with a wheel handbrake. The guard was therefore able to stop his bit of the train should a break in coupling occur. For this reason, the term "break van" was used in English railways until the 1870, when "Brake van" took over. The van was usually heavily ballasted to add to the braking power. Initially, they were open, then had a hut built to protect the guard from the elements, but with a veranda, to aid visibility.

The guard was not there just to act in the event of a break. He was active in applying the brake on downward gradients and when slowing to stop, to add additional braking effort to what was fitted to the locomotive - Victorian brakes were less than superb, and every little helped. Considerable route learning was needed for the brakeman or guard. As well as brake vans, there were also passenger brake carriages, having both passenger accommodation and a separate bit at the back, equipped with a wheel handbrake, for the guard. This was mainly for use in emergency, or if the rake of carriages was parked without a loco.

The big move away began post-Beeching. Modern diesel locos and new rolling stock allowed for continuous or part-continuous vaccuum braking. Fully fitted goods trains were no longer required to end with a brake van, and the guard could now sit in the rearmost driving cab, as a sort of safety supervisor. By 1985, there was agreement that most goods trains did not need a guard, but anything hazardous still ended with a brake van until around 1990. You can still see them on heritage railways, such as the East Somerset.

Now, please!
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 10:06:25 »

Many thanks FTN - that is an excellent explanation.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 10:32:19 »

Just to add ... in the early days of the railway, brake vehicles with guards were vital in bringing passenger trains to a stop too;  incredibly, there were no "normal" brakes at all on some locomotives ...

To stop a train, the driver could shut off steam, get his fireman to apply a handbrake on the tender and put the engine into reverse. He had no means of applying brakes to the rest of the train; indeed most of the carriages had no brakes. Two or three of the carriages were brake carriages with handbrakes, each with a guard who would apply them when (and if) he heard the driver "whistle for brakes".

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbots_Ripton_rail_accident

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 13:18:33 »

Traditionally was a break coach located at the rear end of a train from the engine?

Yes .....................

And the came alone George Westinghouse and the automatic break air break which negated the need to have a guard travelling at the rear of the train.  Break vans morphed into carriage where the guard worked from and where parcels, mail, light goods etc could be put

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 13:39:53 »

And the came alone George Westinghouse and the automatic break air break which negated the need to have a guard travelling at the rear of the train.  Break vans morphed into carriage where the guard worked from and where parcels, mail, light goods etc could be put

Did the Westinghouse  break brake break the mould? We think so!

Now, please!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 15:17:11 »

Did the Westinghouse  break brake break the mould? We think so!
Give us a, er.... break
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 20:39:34 »

Interesting that Westinghouse is remembered for his air brake whilst the inventor of the vacuum brake which was more universially used in this country up until comparatively recently and is still in use on preserved lines, remains anonomous.

Wonder if the fact that vacuum was more popular as it was easy to create a vacuum on a steam loco with an ejector (steam passed through cones used to create a vacuum)   with no moving parts rather than compressed air at pressure with quite a compicated steam pump.

On a diesel or electric it tends to be easier to create compresed air rather than a vacuum.  Also brake cylinders tend to be much smaller with air brakes so the brake rigging is easier.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 21:30:09 »

Also the GWR (Great Western Railway) and the WR even in BR (British Rail(ways)) days used 27"Hg all the others used 25"Hg which meant that when a non WR loco was put on a train that had been hauled by a WR loco the foreigner could not get the brakes off the only way was to release the vacuum from the brake cylinders along the train.

This WR practice kept going until the late 70's / early 80's when the last of the vacuum only locos got scrapped or dual braked.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 10:14:09 »

Also the GWR (Great Western Railway) and the WR even in BR (British Rail(ways)) days used 27"Hg all the others used 25"Hg which meant that when a non WR loco was put on a train that had been hauled by a WR loco the foreigner could not get the brakes off the only way was to release the vacuum from the brake cylinders along the train.

This WR practice kept going until the late 70's / early 80's when the last of the vacuum only locos got scrapped or dual braked.

Not quite right 25" Western 21" rest but the problems the same. I work on  railway with an Western 03 (even Swindon built) which still exhausts to 25". if you go below 20" the wheels on the train lock.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 19:06:41 »

Not quite right 25" Western 21" rest but the problems the same. I work on  railway with an Western 03 (even Swindon built) which still exhausts to 25". if you go below 20" the wheels on the train lock.

I stand corrected  Grin ............. was a long time ago and was only an apprentice and not really interested in the mechanical stuff like brakes  Cheesy

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: